Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you dispose of your trash?  (Read 1959 times)

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you dispose of your trash?
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:31 pm »

Nothing too creative from me as of now.
First time, tried the automated pressure plate + hatch system, that didn't work so I opted for a manual lever instead -- When the purple gas started to waft into the corridors, it was time for a pull.

This time, I just made a deeper cistern for water (also for drinking, modded non-alcohol dependent civ), where I plan to also dump my trash through the well -- of course, I made sure that miasma would also form underwater before building it.
The corpse of one miner already taints the cistern as a reminder of my newbness.

Any creative and Fun ways from your fortresses?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:37:09 pm by squishynoob »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you dispose of your trash?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:41:32 pm »

Big topside refuse pile handles most of my needs.  It's getting full after my pit of death was cracked open and countless rotted goblin limbs were hauled there, but still seems to have enough space that with judicious use of bones, it's stable.  I also have dwarf catacombs, where every member of the fort has an assigned tomb -- in fact, the first thing I do when I get the "dwarf has given birth" announcement is assign the baby a coffin.  We live in a very cheery fortress...

Non-refuse trash (AKA stone) is quantum stockpiled and turned into pots for food and drink or crafts to unload on merchants.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »

Normally I have a few refuse piles. (1 tile only, said like Sean Connery's "One ping only" in Kresnaya Oktober.)<Sue me, I speak no Russian yet I remember that.>

One is near a place no one should go. Sometimes it is an atom-smasher, sometimes not, but no one should be hanging out there. [See previous poster] The rest are for stones. I know I can hide them stones, but cheesemakers need things to do/need love, and if you've a stone pile near each level where masons should be, well they can findy the rocky thingies easily. [I am sorry for the over-use of things sounding like "eee".]

It DOES mean that you have to remember which garbage dump is on, of course, but that isn't too hard. [i-a] It also means you have to remember where they are - but if you place them near an otherwise cleared area, that "lone stone" is quite obvious. So is that pile of bones near that bridge, if you choose that method.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:07:20 pm »

Well, I just read a very detailed response to your question by someone from a Middle Eastern waste management marketing company, but for some reason I can't find that thread,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so here's some other ideas:

For some reason the hoarder in me opts to keep all the trash by channeling big 20x20 pits from the surface all the way to my fort (one layer at a time), then construct floors to fill it back in.  Now every floor of the garbagetower is considered sunlit, and won't produce miasma.  I designate refuse stockpiles on each floor and gather it all.  I also tend to try to spearate out 'useful' from 'useless' refuse, i.e., some levels are designated only for whole, (formerly) sapient corpses, which will never be usable in a vanilla game.  Others are for animal corpses, and one of the levels is only for goblin body parts (which I understand should eventually rot to produce bones, unlike whole corpses).  Adding a bone stockpile with a 'take from' command to this stockpile should result in the bones being carried off once they rot down. 

That said, what I really ought to be doing is just dig that pit 1 z-level under the surface, and link 4 10x10 bridges together to make a huge Dwarven Atomsmasher.  Then designate it as a garbage dump zone, and set trash to dump.  Whenever it gets full, pull the lever.  This has the advantage of completely removing all materials from the map, and thus eliminating any potential negative effects they have on your FPS.  Usually I'm using garbage dumping for other things too often to devote it to refuse.  I suppose I could just wait until a floor of my garbagetower gets full, then dump it into the DAS.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:22:01 pm »

So my three z-level compactor design, side view, only allow approaches from the right:

Code: [Select]
c^>
b+X
bb<

c hatch
^ pressure plate
b bridge
+ door
> stairs down
X stairs up/down
< stairs up

Build the bottom bridge as a drawbridge that lifts to the right and the middle bridge as a retracting bridge.
Build the hatch and bottom bridge first, then the pressure plate, then the middle bridge.  This makes it so that the bottom bridge opens before the middle bridge opens.  Link the pressure plate to the hatch and both bridges.

Put a garbage zone on the pressure plate and a pasture on the middle bridge.

If you want to dump garbage, just dump it.  Dwarf walks to the pressure plate, hatch opens instantly, dwarf throws garbage in the chute since it's now an open pit next to a garbage zone and walks off.
At 100 ticks the bottom bridge lifts.  At 101 ticks the retracting bridge retracts, dropping the trash all the way down.  At 199 ticks the bottom bridge atom smashes the trash.  At 200 ticks the retracting bridge fixes itself.

If you want to kill a pet, pasture it then dump something to activate the compactor.

It may be possible to use a 1x1 raising bridge on the bottom floor if you reverse the build order of the two bridges, I think, but I'm unsure if a raising 1x1 bridge atom smashes everything on it if there's nowhere to fling it.

If you don't want to smash and only want to contain the miasma then just dig two levels and no bridges and the hatch will only open for trash dumping.  You can even just channel the pit, add no stairs or doors and it should be unlikely that miasma will escape in the short time the hatch is ever open.  This form, however, would prevent you from retrieving anything dumped until you add another access way.

You can probably do this with just two z-levels if you omit the middle level entirely, but I don't bother because I like the pet disposal area.  Also, to prevent dwarves from accidentally walking onto the bottom bridge just add a hatch between z -1 and z -2 and lock it.  There is the chance that a dwarf will decide to step out on the middle bridge, but you can lock the door next to it when dumping, though I haven't had any accidents yet.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:34:02 pm »

I have a regular 11x11 refuse/corpse stockpile 1 z-level under the ground, access from below, the ground level channeled and covered back with floor. Accessible from fortress only, no miasma at all, win-win. If the space is trouble (after siege), I use my usual 1-tile atom-smasher or, as in current fort, magma chute, just dumping stuff from the refuse there.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »

If I have access to it, I use the Necro910 fallback.

If I don't, I just pile it on the surface until I do have access to magma.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

It may be possible to use a 1x1 raising bridge on the bottom floor if you reverse the build order of the two bridges, I think, but I'm unsure if a raising 1x1 bridge atom smashes everything on it if there's nowhere to fling it.

A raising 1x1 bridge atomsmashes anything on it when it raises regardless of whether there is anywhere to fling it.

I suspect your design is more complex than required.  You should be able to make the bottom bridge a 1x1 drawbridge and eliminate the middle retracting bridge completely.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »

I'll definitely swap out the bottom bridge for a 1x1 and then just keep a door in front of it.  But, like I said, I like the middle bridge as a pet disposal option.  I kill most of the migrants' grazer pets and butcher the rest usually.  Pet birds, I leave around.  I like birds running all over the place after their masters.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:47 pm »

I'll definitely swap out the bottom bridge for a 1x1 and then just keep a door in front of it.  But, like I said, I like the middle bridge as a pet disposal option.  I kill most of the migrants' grazer pets and butcher the rest usually.  Pet birds, I leave around.  I like birds running all over the place after their masters.

Could you designate the garbage zone on top of the pressure plate to also be a pit zone, and get pets thrown in that way?  Then you could get by with just the 2 levels (assuming that works).

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:00:30 pm »

Probably.  I'll have to try to ensure the hatch will open with a creature on it.  It didn't seem to like opening with socks on it when I first made it.  I'll do some ‼SCIENCE‼ tonight to make a minimal compactor.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:31 pm »

Neither creatures not items prevent hatches from opening.  Hatches don't even have the weight limit that bridges do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 05:11:53 pm »

I build large pointy spires that I fill with trash, they also double as marksman fortifications.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:05 pm »

I just dig down to those light blue tubes that poke up through the magma and dump my garbage down them. The residents complain sometimes, but screw 'em. They're just a bunch of freaks anyway.

;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2 3