Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: A Valley Without Wind [Arcen Games: Trial+Beta now available. 50% off]  (Read 11779 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Valley Without Wind [Arcen Games: Trial+Beta now available. 50% off]
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:06 pm »

I got a bit discouraged after exploring my first building i found by randomly picking a direction and entering an area right next to the village.

Empty building, doors. Go through doors, random rooms are all dark and the doors are enclosed in unpassable dark... stuff.
Other doors lead to more empty rooms and i almost got lost after going through 10 doors or more leading to randomly numbered kitchens and living rooms and whatnot, all connected to yet other stuff unless dark.

Any hint on how to find my way through these? Is there actually a point to?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:46:59 pm by Lord Snow »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 03:52:42 pm »

@Lord Snow
Use the dungeon map. You can make it appear if you press ',' or ';' (something like that). The blinking yellow dot indicates the room where you're going and the diamond dot indicates where you are.
___

I attained lvl 12 earlier, but my inability to find books actually despairs me. I use the same spells as the ones I used when I started this character.

Btw, the best way to train is to wait for mini-bosses to attack towns. You can pass turns in the strategic (lvl 3) or management mode (lvl 6).

Does someone know what to do with the resources scattered on the map in the strategic mode? I already killed some guardians, but I don't know what to do next.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 05:12:10 pm »

Started out and the starting village did not contain one of the altars needed to complete one the tasks given to me before you can leave starting village... (create scroll one)

Should of saved the world I guess, silly me, but deleted it and created another one before I thought of it (it was late). Worked out fine then. Played it way to little to really give my opinion for the rest...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:16:05 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:06 pm »

So is there not a free demo of any sort?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »

Yes there is.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:48 pm »

There is. Looks for it on the main site.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »

perhaps I am blind. I'll look again.

Found it.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 12:24:36 am »

- There are too many random and dead-end rooms filled with nothing but the occasional health or mana pot.  The bottom right minimap is actually useless, the rooms are not connected in a logical order.  The doors inside buildings are practically random teleporters.  Reaching a miniboss is a boring slog through five areas, that's way too long.

- It would be nice to be able to destroy the random critter spawn totems (like in the game Gauntlet).  Trudging through a lot of totems through multiple hallways is the opposite of fun.

- The RPS review mentioned permadeath, but there's no permadeath as far as I can see.  Dying just allows you to pick from a random list of 6 candidates with stats dependent on your civilization level.

- As the common complaint goes, the character art does not match the background art.  It is very aesthetically unappealing. 

- This game feels exactly like ActRaiser, like someone mentioned previously.  A side-scrolling game where you cut through enemies real-time in order to get goodies to build your civilization.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 01:06:28 am »

- There are too many random and dead-end rooms filled with nothing but the occasional health or mana pot.  The bottom right minimap is actually useless, the rooms are not connected in a logical order.  The doors inside buildings are practically random teleporters.  Reaching a miniboss is a boring slog through five areas, that's way too long.

I've been keeping up on development as they went, and the huge buildings was actually on purpose. They're trying to create the feel of this huge, sprawling world that you can't hope to possibly explore. They seem to have succeeded, mostly, but I'm still undecided as to whether I like the idea in practice...

- The RPS review mentioned permadeath, but there's no permadeath as far as I can see.  Dying just allows you to pick from a random list of 6 candidates with stats dependent on your civilization level.

Yeah, that I'm unsure about just from a design perspective. They wanted perma-death, but they didn't want a player to feel like they lost everything if the character dies, so instead we got this system. I'm very undecided on it, as it feels like they wanted permadeath, but chickened out on actually going through with it, so instead we got this perma-death-but-not thing. I dunno how it works in practice, though, as I have yet to play long enough to die. They seem to have some great ideas about how to work character death into the world, though, so hopefully those pan out. 

- As the common complaint goes, the character art does not match the background art.  It is very aesthetically unappealing. 

Yeah... I can see what you mean, though it's not too bad. You get used to it, though, and the actual background art is beautiful, at least as far as my tastes are concerned.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 06:46:17 am »

I can't play this. Not in this state, at least. It looks like it has potential but the game is a bit of a mess (as is expected in any prerelease)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:52 am »

I can't play this. Not in this state, at least. It looks like it has potential but the game is a bit of a mess (as is expected in any prerelease)
Huh? I disagree. The game has already a lot of content and is quite polished, as I think I just met one bug in something like 6 hours.
It may look like a mess, but I can assure you it is not.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

cupogoodness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2011, 07:15:20 am »

If there's anything I can help with direction/aim-wise please let me know. It's definitely not a game you just jump in and get we know, and those big barren building are going to be filled up with more and more (and moar) stuff every update (three so far since beta release, including the ability to smash monster spawners.)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2011, 08:08:07 am »

Quote from: Blog/patch notes
Fixed the gap where there often were few or no regions leveled 11-19 in most worlds.  There will definitely now be at least one non-ocean region of every level 1-1000 in the world, and generally there should be at least one region of every possible level above that, too, although there might be gaps here or there where 1097 happens to only have ocean tiles and 1098 has somewhere you can really visit on land, etc.
There will definitely now be at least one non-ocean region of every level 1-1000 in the world,
level 1-1000

At first I was like

ಠ_ಠ

But then I was like

¯\(ಠдಠ)/¯

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:06 am »

Huh? I disagree. The game has already a lot of content and is quite polished, as I think I just met one bug in something like 6 hours.
It may look like a mess, but I can assure you it is not.
I didn't say it was buggy, I said it was a mess and I mean it. Graphical styles are mismatched, objectives are nonobvious and ill defined. I go out and shoot a snowflake and my civilization advances somehow, and I'm harvesting trees using damage spells? There are lots of good ideas tied together very badly. As I said, it has a lot of potential but I can't play it right now.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:12 am »

forsaken does have a point. It's a cool and fun game but the things he said are actually pretty true, though I don't think having ill defined objectives in this case is a bad thing being an exploration oriented game.

As for the graphics they can't do too much about them, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11