Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: A Valley Without Wind [Arcen Games: Trial+Beta now available. 50% off]  (Read 11752 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: A Valley Without Wind [Arcen Games: Trial+Beta now available. 50% off]
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2012, 12:26:22 am »

I have been watching this since they announced it, and i had not really thought it was very interesting looking (to me) for various reasons. I really like the guys at Arcen for AI War and the long term support they offered for that game so I went ahead and bought it and tried it out anyway.

Pretty Fun! in a weird metroidvania kinda way.
I got nothing

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »

I have been watching this since they announced it, and i had not really thought it was very interesting looking (to me) for various reasons. I really like the guys at Arcen for AI War and the long term support they offered for that game so I went ahead and bought it and tried it out anyway.

Pretty Fun! in a weird metroidvania kinda way.
Have you found a pyramid yet? Those are Fun to walk around in if you turn the maps off :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:56 pm »

I'm slowly liking this more and more.  At the start I wasn't really enjoying it, but its starting to grow on me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:03:33 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2012, 08:18:38 pm »

Yeah it's kinda weird because this isn't normally my kinda thing. It's just that it kinda scratches a weird itch from my childhood days of gaming that I forgot I had in a satisfying way.
I got nothing

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »

The water bolt spell thing can take out a straight line of boxes with relative ease. Same for the death bolt (but it costs 400 mana).

I also felt weird about the game at first but now it is growing inside me. However I must admit they suck on the immersion factor. Toilets and ceiling lamps on huts from the bronze age? Come on!
Not to mention the game seems to suffer from the same awful art department that worked on AI war. All the ships and particle effects felt like paper cutouts from the background. Same with the creatures and spells. It lacks flow.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:44:30 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Remember that at least some of AI War's art came from freely available something-like-public-domain resources.

So their art department is not far from "What art department?".  No offense to their art guy, because I know Arcen Games drops by these forums sometimes...but they could really use a bigger team, or more hours.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

Remember that at least some of AI War's art came from freely available something-like-public-domain resources.

So their art department is not far from "What art department?".  No offense to their art guy, because I know Arcen Games drops by these forums sometimes...but they could really use a bigger team, or more hours.

So many things start to make sense now...  ::)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

This game is far to grindy for me.  I've spent over 4 hours looking for a survivor to build a frickin windmill.  I've found two survivors in those four hours, neither of which has the specific skill required.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There IS no art guy---IIRC, it is all the company head and main dude Chris Park wearing multiple hats as best he can as far as that aspect of things goes.   I believe the old Tyrian art was what was present in the earliest of days.

It'll be interesting to see what kinda texture modding and such crops up going forward though.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well the game is now up to 1.01 and they are stll cranking out post beta patches hehe latest was a change to those drops now all trashy npcs drop consciousness gems and they created a store ( they dont drop in missions though) the store allows u to purchase a fairly large selection of things.  The coloured gems are still being worked on as are 100 other elements im actually liking it a lot at least till starbound hits

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I died a little inside after updating to the latest version. The HP drain effect of the storm directly lead to me losing a guy with maxed upgrades and I'm stuck 3 windmills away from the nearest dock that can get me off of this continent. ...Guess I should've checked the notes first. Sigh.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

actually the latest patch has a bug where u cant complete any missions except the windmill one ( the offical missions u finish it then get an error message) that said there are updates 3-4 times a week these guyus are still programming like mofos so expect some rapid fixes and new things, some new enemies to wich is cool

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Fixed a bug that was causing exceptions to be thrown in some worlds when missions were completed in the prior version; it had to do with the changes to how we were checking for diluter enchants, but only showed up under certain character conditions.

Thanks to Chthon, Finndibaenn, FShunftSr, Asterai, terrycloth, Slayne Lonewolf, nanostrike, Misery, conductorbosh, GauHelldragon, Penumbra, Arturia, lavacamorada, Barty, and freykin for reporting.
Nope, missions work again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Fixed a bug that was causing exceptions to be thrown in some worlds when missions were completed in the prior version; it had to do with the changes to how we were checking for diluter enchants, but only showed up under certain character conditions.

Thanks to Chthon, Finndibaenn, FShunftSr, Asterai, terrycloth, Slayne Lonewolf, nanostrike, Misery, conductorbosh, GauHelldragon, Penumbra, Arturia, lavacamorada, Barty, and freykin for reporting.
Nope, missions work again.

Sounds like they need to move to a dev/stable release split, srsly.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Theres a reason they're marked as 'Beta' updates, Sowelu. The game will notice them but you don't have to update to them, though generally they tend to be slightly better than before. The ones that you really should actually update to are the ones marked Official instead of Beta. Steam will only update for you on official releases.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11