Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How long do you think it will be before the caravan arc is fully released?

Under 6 months
- 18 (14.1%)
Under 12 months
- 26 (20.3%)
Under 24 months
- 24 (18.8%)
Under 36 months
- 17 (13.3%)
More than 36 months
- 43 (33.6%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: October 03, 2011, 06:29:36 am

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caravan Arc poll!  (Read 2125 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Arc poll!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 06:40:50 pm »

I feel as though there is confusion about what we are voting on here. Release One of the Caravan Arc (i.e what Toady is working on right now, and has been working on for the last six months) is due out sometime in the near future. The entirety of the Caravan Arc is some 9 Releases large, which is a hell of a lot of content even before you start adding in other tangents.

Let's be generous and say that each release will take half as long as the current release (ignoring for the moment that this upcoming release is technically only half of Release 1 to begin with)- that's 3 months per release and counting. 3*9 is 27 months, right there. Factor in the fact that each Release is followed by a bugfix release (for new and old bugs alike) that's supposed to be something like 2-4 weeks apiece- let's be generous and say 2. 2*9 is 18 weeks, or 4.5 months (let's round down, shall we?) 4+27 gives us a rough estimate of 31 months. If those bugfixes take closer to the 4 week side, and you've got 36 months total.

36 is the upper bound of this poll- if the bugfixes are on the long side OR if each release takes >3 months (which is only half of what Release 1 has taken, mind you) then we easily surpass that number. I feel like 3 months is reasonable (on average) for each Release's content, but that doesn't leave much room for tangents, which we know are coming because tangents are FUN! So yeah, I'd be shocked if it took less than 2 years to wrap up everything on that list, and I would not be at all surprised if it goes longer than 3. This is what Toady means when he says he expects DF to take up the next 20 years.

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Arc poll!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 05:43:42 am »

So the results are in. One third of people think that it will take at least three years before the arc is fully released, and sixty percent of the remaining voters estimated that the release will take between one and two years.

I guess we'll find out if we were right sooner or later...
Pages: 1 [2]