Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How long do you think it will be before the caravan arc is fully released?

Under 6 months
- 18 (14.1%)
Under 12 months
- 26 (20.3%)
Under 24 months
- 24 (18.8%)
Under 36 months
- 17 (13.3%)
More than 36 months
- 43 (33.6%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: October 03, 2011, 06:29:36 am

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravan Arc poll!  (Read 2124 times)

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Arc poll!
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:29:36 am »

This is just to view our community's guess at development rate... we will see what percentage of people actually guess correctly! - When it is released.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:32:28 am by Where_are_the_gnomes? »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Arc poll!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:32:47 am »

Is there no option for more than 36 months?

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:26 am »

really? more than three years?

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:34:01 am »

fine, i'll add it

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:11 am »

Where's the option "the day computers are able to program themselves"?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:11:19 am »

Where's the option "the day computers are able to program themselves"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-modifying_code
1948?

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:07:48 am »

really? more than three years?

Given the current rate of releases, it would not surprise me at all. I can always hope for less, but it does seem like the safest answer at the moment.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:41 am »

There's two possibilities here: It'll be either less or more than 36 months. The others are subsets of less than 36. If this were a bet, I'd go with less than 36. Really though, we have no way of knowing. If Toady keeps doing this thing where he implements a ton of features to the extent that the actual caravan arc content in each release is almost a sidenote compared to the other stuff (as in this first one) then it will be more than 36. If he does that with only one or two others, it could easily be less than 36.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:42:27 pm by Cruxador »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:46:19 am »

i forget which arc we are on right now, and what ever happened to the military arc ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:12:42 am »

I thought this was going to be a useful post about what features are people most looking forward to.
We really have no idea when the Cavern Arc will come and Toady has proven to drop one series of features he was planning on working on to pick up another different set, making estimation near impossible.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 06:29:30 am »

i forget which arc we are on right now, and what ever happened to the military arc ?
We're somewhere in the beginning of the caravan arc. 31.19 was the first caravan arc release, and there are nine more content releases (and associated bugfix releases) slated to follow (with release 2 through 9 hopefully being not quite so long in coming like release 1). The army arc is slated to come afterwards.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »

It's interesting, looking at the development page - everything is broken down into 'releases' which might account for the impatience of the community. It seems that he's actually managed to get the meat of quite a lot on that list down.
Looking at the road map, there's actually a HELL of a lot of content in there to code, and with just one dude, that alone is a pretty titanic work load. Add bug-squashing and technical difficulties, general life and everything else into that mix, I wouldn't expect to see the caravan arc completed before around just under two years.

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:22 am »

There's too possibilities here: It'll be either less or more than 36 months. The others are subsets of less than 36. If this were a bet, I'd go with less than 36. Really though, we have no way of knowing. If Toady keeps doing this thing where he implements a ton of features to the extent that the actual caravan arc content in each release is almost a sidenote compared to the other stuff (as in this first one) then it will be more than 36. If he does that with only one or two others, it could easily be less than 36.

Really now? Who would have thought! :o
No seriously, I think everyone understands that there is no reason to fill up the options by writing zero to six months; six to twelve months; twelve to twenty-four months; twenty-four to ... etc. It's implied, just like like ln(x) has an implied domain of x>0.

And besides, people don't really tend to guess "This textbook will come in Thursday afternoon at exactly two hours and forty minutes past noon."
People just say "It will be in by Friday" But who uses textbooks anyway? It's not really between what times it will come in, more what is the latest date it will come in? ;)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:15:14 pm »

I think they get bored of following a strict schedule and like to add the fun stuff.

That's fine, but I'd like to see a Dungeon Master arrive at my fortress sometime this decade, pl0x.
[Signature]

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:35:43 am »

I think they get bored of following a strict schedule and like to add the fun stuff.
Not as such. Toady and ThreeToe decided that the new cities needed more interesting stuff to potentially "keep" adventurers in the city, figured that night creatures would do well for that with sewers and catacombs and such, and thus went on the night creature tangent.

That's fine, but I'd like to see a Dungeon Master arrive at my fortress sometime this decade, pl0x.
Since dungeon masters are appointed now rather than immigrant nobles... :P
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2