Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mercifull Population Control  (Read 4444 times)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mercifull Population Control
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:43 am »

Okay, I have a fort with 80 dwarves, half of which are children. The newest families have been together for about 12 years, so very soon I will get about 3-4 new peasants each year. Now I donīt want to kill off one of each parent pair, I like to see my dwarves create families (My two smiths is an immigrant and his fortress-born son), but itīs getting ridiculous. I was wondering if anyone have an idea how to control my population, without using a drowing chamber.

Perhaps some kind of test of strength? I recently drafted 5 peasants into the military and stationed them in the Danger Room. After the 10 first lever-pulls, one had its head bashed in, and two others died to infections due to hand and foot wounds (Apparently being clumsy when putting on armor can be very dangerous). It should be easy to make a low-level dangerroom for younger dwarves.

Or should I just weather the storm and start using the baby caps in the d_init files for my dwarves?
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercifull Population Control
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:55:41 am »

they need to both have "no job" to make some spores. Overwhelming tasks, like drafting both to the military or mass-mining-and-smoothing entaire rock layers, seemed to me to inhibit child-beraing capacity a bit. This will not totally prevent pregnancies though.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:21:06 am »

I donīt want to stop it 100%, although if I did, it would be much easier by just capping babies to 0. Anyway I uses the d_init option, there will not be more children until this batch has grown up, so it will not go above the 80 I have now for about 10 years.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:28:05 am »

As far as I can tell, dwarves don't need to have idle time to get pregnant.  They need it to get married, but once married female dwarves will reliably pump out children every year even when constantly busy.  The only way to stop pregnancies is to prevent marriages, or just set the child cap to zero.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:35 am »

Dwarves can get miscarriages from lower body wounds. You could theoretically use DFhack to take control of a militia dwarf and go around kicking dwarven women in the stomach. That's a 'merciful' method...

Oh god what have I become!?...
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:50 am »

Dwarves can get miscarriages from lower body wounds. You could theoretically use DFhack to take control of a militia dwarf and go around kicking dwarven women in the stomach. That's a 'merciful' method...

Dude.. okay I don't know quite what to say to that.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:06:11 am »

Dude.. okay I don't know quite what to say to that.

"Make sure the dwarf's wearing silver or platinum boots for the best chance of it working?"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:24 am »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:47:52 am »

You have released your inner beard.

Goodjob  :D

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Send them to wrestle some wild animals.  If they can't strangle a few wolves, they don't deserve to be in your fort.  When you get migrants, don't let them in until they are covered in the blood of something.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:21:53 pm »

Send them to wrestle some wild animals.  If they can't strangle a few giant badgers, they don't deserve to be in your world.  When you get migrants, don't let them in until they are covered in the blood of the world.
Fixed that for you.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:29 pm »

there are two figures to the child cap: total children/babies at any one time, and max children as a percentage of adult dwarves.  By default, the second number is set to the rather meaningless value of 1000, meaning there can be ten times as many children as adults.  the child hardcap will come in long before this, in most circumstances.  If you drop this number to 50, and have 60 adults, that means that at any one time you will only have 30 children.  The cap will prevent further pregnancy until the number of children is below the threshold.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:22 pm »

Iīm using that now, children are capped to 20, so there wonīt be any new ones until in 6 years when most of the current batch has grown up.