Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress CPU  (Read 1289 times)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dwarf Fortress CPU
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:49:57 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJKpN8ULkE&feature=player_embedded#!

8,429 GHz.

That should probably play just fine with 100+ dwarves and HFS open :D

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress CPU
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:14:19 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure that's only an 8.429GHz processor. I want to say the french use commas and decimal points in opposite fashion to the english speaking world but I'm not entirely certain for the way they display thousands. I want to say eight-thousand four-hundred and twenty nine and two one-hundredths in french would be 8.429,02

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:24:44 am »

supposed;y a pentium 4 was overclocked to 8ghz many years ago, but i should point out that a newer chip could do a lot more with that speed than a good old penty..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:10:15 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure that's only an 8.429GHz processor. I want to say the french use commas and decimal points in opposite fashion to the english speaking world but I'm not entirely certain for the way they display thousands. I want to say eight-thousand four-hundred and twenty nine and two one-hundredths in french would be 8.429,02

It's the difference between how Americans delineate decimal points (with a period) and Europeans (with a comma).

It causes no end of confusion.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:34 am »

It's the difference between how Americans delineate decimal points (with a period) and Europeans (with a comma).

It causes no end of confusion.

Well here it is '.' to display decimals, and ',' for thousands (England)
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:10:07 pm »

Well here it is '.' to display decimals, and ',' for thousands (England)

Its some of those other countries.
* Draco18s vaguely gestures eastward.
I don't feel like looking it up.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:08:15 am »

Erm...of course it's only 8,4 GHz ... or 8429 MHz if you want. I never thought this was 8429 GHz as that would be really ridiculous :D

Still 8,4 GHz ought to be enough for a nice little fortress :D

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:38:41 am »

the anglophones use the . as we use the ,. 1,500 for them is one thousand and five hundred, not one and a half written with more zeros than it should