Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarven armor  (Read 980 times)

ulan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarven armor
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:28:21 am »

So, uh, yeah leather is automatic but does it have any benefit to them marksdwarves?

I'm thinking of setting up a metal armor squad as disabling melee weapons and shields, handing them ammo and crossbows and letting them at it. Would there be any combat disadvantage to marksdwarves suiting up in metal if they are just going to be sitting around a pillbox anyway?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarven armor
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:34:10 am »

Really, no, if you can spare the metal it's beneficial.  DF doesn't properly handle encumberment really, and I've never seen a real change in firing speed from the weight of armor.  It's just the standard fantasy "ranger suit" and in general your marksmen shouldn't need armor, as they should be sitting safely on a wall.  That said, the first goblin master bowman will rip through your archers like butter, as any elite ranged unit ignores fortifications entirely and hits easy.  Then, you want your marksmen in good metal!  More importantly though, is a shield.  That will actually help deflect more shots than anything else.  Live training with a shield and armor, no weapon, will help the soldiers take blows and rank up "shield user" especially if they have no orders - they act like civilians and run away while being attacked, letting creatures bash on them harmlessly for weeks!

So, if you have the spare metal, go ahead!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:15:01 am »

Also note that training your marksdwarves as hammerdwarves in a dangerroom or some such will make them essentially all-purpose soldiers. Slap them in steel armor with silver crossbows, and you're golden.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:09:54 am »

Everybody is basically correct.

Iron/steel armor can weigh a lot and slow down marksdwarves with poor strength or armor skill. Their volume of fire will slow, which is really more important then their defense, fighting from a distance and all.

That said, marksdwarves trained in danger rooms don't have any problem with wearing heavy metal armor.

Also, the best defense is a shield and since materials don't effect how well a shield blocks, a lightweight wooden shield is all a marksdwarf really needs.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:19:39 am »

I disagree. A masterwork copper shield is the way to go, the heavy metal allows for effective shieldbashes. They'll get used to the weight anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:33:37 am »

Also note that training your marksdwarves as hammerdwarves in a dangerroom or some such will make them essentially all-purpose soldiers. Slap them in steel armor with silver crossbows, and you're golden.
Bah dum tsh!

On topic, arm and armor your dwarves as much as possible, no matter where they are in combat. My marksdwarves often end up in duels with bowgoblins (they tend to be the only ones not walking into the cage traps), and since my dwarves are outnumbered all the time, they need every advantage they can get, which for marksdwarves is steel armor, lots of cloaks, a shield and enough training in the danger room to block any number of ranged attacks, and melee of course.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00:13 am »

I disagree. A masterwork copper shield is the way to go, the heavy metal allows for effective shieldbashes. They'll get used to the weight anyway.
This is pointless if they're wall guards.  If they're on the ground behind the infantry, then a shield definitely helps, but if they're behind barriers or pits then a wooden or leather shield is just as good as any.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 10:19:44 am »

I tend to deploy my marksdwarf squads in elevated firing positions, but rather than give them shields -which is supposed to be impossible with two-handed weapons like the various firearms I've modded in- I ditch the leather armour and issue them with a breastplate and helmet; most projectiles are only truly lethal if they hit the head or an internal organ.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:58 pm »

*snip*
First GMB I ever had drowned in the river. Probably after dodging either a bolt or a weapon trap. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:00 pm »

GMB?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 02:30:52 pm »

Goblin Master Bowman, but I couldn't be arsed to type it.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.