Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Names you assign to noteworthy dwarves?  (Read 3239 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Names you assign to noteworthy dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 12:09:18 pm »

Before I used Dwarf Therapist, nicknames were how I kept track of labour permissions. EVERYONE had a coded nickname like "Lumb!Farm-W" (experienced lumberjack and novice farmer with wood hauling), "Dig!)Mech)Mtl!-!" (has miner and mechanic skills but not switched on, is a valued metalcrafter and has no hauling labours) and "ArmCook)Silk-IF" (armourer, also a cook but switched off for now with item and food hauling - oh and he likes silk).

I still do that for the more important jobs I want to keep track of. Seeing as it's tradition to give a custom non-coded name to badass military dwarves, I should consider doing that to my prodigious artisans (making an artifact doesn't count, I want to see his full portfolio). I seem to focus on the production side of DF and see the military side as a distraction or a source of fresh organic import.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »

Especially noteworthy dwarves (particularly military dwarves with an impressive kill) get custom professions.  Here's a list.

Aban Gearedwild ('The Granite World of Minds'): Titanslayer, awarded for defeating a titan.  His custom profession has not changed despite downing a forgotten beast, a cyclops, and several goblins/trolls with not a single further wound on "skilled" or "proficient" military skills only -- because frankly "Titanslayer" is about as awesome as it gets.
(several dwarves): Beast Killer, awarded for downing a Forgotten Beast.  This would probably be "upgraded" if any of them survived to earn another (semi)megabeast kill, but deadly dust and crippling wounds tend to end military careers.  Of three Beast Killers, one expired in the hospital, another was perforated by marksgoblins while trying to kill an ambush, and the third, after being crippled but still active duty, died in the shiny new danger room, presumably due to a general inability to dodge the training spears -- I've checked, they are all home-made training spears.
Rakust Laboracted: Ettinbane, earned for killing an Ettin.  Time will tell if Rakust earns anything better.
Tulon Rhymewheel ('The Spiral of Furnaces'): Vengeance-Taker, awarded for, in the early days of the fortress, beating the cave fish man that killed her lover into a bloody pulp for several pages of combat log with her cat-bone crossbow, before another dwarf finally stepped in and mercy-killed the thing.  The coolness factor of her prior achievements is probably the only reason I don't let her have an accident over those aluminum mandates now that she's duchess. (I promoted her without checking her prefs because she had been mayor for a brief term, and mandated greaves before forbidding the export of bolts -- nice and easy.  Plus, with a dead lover, I wouldn't have to worry about an unlisted noble-consort causing trouble)

Dwarves with (semi)megabeast kills are also awarded special tombs, with slabs recounting the beasts they've defeated.  Everyone else who's not a lifetime noble just gets a coffin behind a door.

In future forts, I'll probably go farther with custom professions, or change the init options to put nicknames between first and last rather than overwriting the first name, so I can get more creative with nicknames -- 'goblin fodder' as a profession for (future) recruits, removed when they have the skill to be a {weapon}dwarf, for instance, or Urist 'Wrongway' McMason for the highly skilled fool who keeps locking himself on the wrong side of walls. (though I've MOSTLY cured that with the suspended wall trick)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 03:33:08 pm »

I usually only name dwarves when they do something remarkable, or when I'm feeling sadistic.  I had a miner in one fortress who was ambushed by a fire man.  He punched its head off and went right back to mining.  He earned the name 'Firepuncher'.  Another dwarf had nerve damage after a fight, and was constantly spamming messages about being unable to pick up something due to injury.  I named him 'Fumbles'.

A second Fumbles? Maybe it's a more common dwarf name than i thought...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »

I used to name all of my damn dwarfs, every single one of them. I still have an old fort with over 170 dwarfs, all of them named, even the "useless" ones. But that takes quite a lot of work, so I generally don't do that anymore. These days I just give the ones that do something significant, or stand out in some way names, so's I can tell them apart. Also, I always name my first hunter Old Danforth. I can't remember why.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 03:49:13 pm »

I used to name all of my damn dwarfs, every single one of them. I still have an old fort with over 170 dwarfs, all of them named, even the "useless" ones. But that takes quite a lot of work, so I generally don't do that anymore. These days I just give the ones that do something significant, or stand out in some way names, so's I can tell them apart. Also, I always name my first hunter Old Danforth. I can't remember why.
Oh god, when I was new, I named every single dwarf as well.

"Ivan Bobskiv has bled to death!"

GOD DAMN IT

"Twenty new migrants have arrived!"
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 03:58:25 pm »

Even worse, I used to try to give them names to match their personalities, however that worked. Going through a migrant wave could take upwards of twenty minutes. Yes, I can be somewhat obsessive.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »

I usually only name dwarves when they do something special or unusual.

I just named one MetalHead. He survived getting his skull fractured.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

The original Seven are all named 'Original.'
The next Migrant Wave are all Elders.
Each and every one after that is named after a Guild Name of one of the Originals.
All Professions stay normal, until they reach Legendary, where they get 'X master.'
It allows me to keep track of who has died, what clan has lost the most dwarves, how many originals are left, and how many of the Elder waves have pissed me off.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:04 pm »

I give custom profession names to my starting seven, I then try my best to keep them alive, and even shamelessly savescum to prevent their death =(.

"Hallmaker"           Mason/Blacksmith
"Grand Architect"   Mason/Architect
"Tinker"                Carpenter/Mechanic
"Forgemaster"       Amorsmith/Weaponsmith
"Head Farmer"      Cook/Brewer
"Chief Doctor"       Doctor
"Commander"       Armor/Shield/Dodge/Teacher

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:56:52 pm »

As of yet, I have never named a dwarf.

I understand this desire to name them - really, I do.

But unless I am in the wrong forum, shouldn't y'all be coming up with names more like Urist McToasty, Cerrol McCarpBait, or Dishmab McSacrificialLamb. Or the obligatory Urist McMagmaHappened and his cousin Urist McMagmaWillHappen. (Okay, Nish McIBrainedAGoblinWithASock probably should get a name. So should the sock, come to think of it. Sockist McIBrainedAGoblin? Alas, I don't have either one of them in any of my forts. Still, that'd be a nice ass sock...)

I am sorry for coming by. I've a really nice sock to find.

The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »

When they aren't walling themselves into boxes, being incinerated by magma, flattened by bronze colossi, swarmed by goblins, or dying in droves from some forgotten beast syndrome, dwarves do get the occasional moment of unmitigated glory.  Then they tantrum spiral over a kitten, and all is right with the world again.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:09 pm »

My only named dwarves are: Funtime AngryAnus the Bald Crazed Arch-Apple of Balls after my best adventurer, and Choppywaters Oarthunder after one of my bud's favorite dwarf.
EDIT: Forgot to mention who they were! :P Funtime is my Mayor/Broker/Count, who thought it was a good idea to take his baby and son to his his wife who was training in the danger rooms... *Urist McBaby and Urist McOlderBaby has been impaled by...* And ChoppyWaters is my fortress of 217's only butcher, with the appropriate job of "Head Master Butcher"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:20:13 pm by tommy521 »

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 12:34:11 am »

if the dwarf is truly noteworthy, i learn it's name.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:19:11 am »

I give my elites(my original military that's spent the longest in the danger room) the title "Terminator" once they get dressed in blue stuff, but don't remember giving anyone a special name.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 10:44:13 am »

Even worse, I used to try to give them names to match their personalities, however that worked. Going through a migrant wave could take upwards of twenty minutes. Yes, I can be somewhat obsessive.
Migrant waves used to be when I'd take a break, come back and sit down for 1 hour to optimise labour permissions to fit their personalities. I do wish Dwarf Therapist would be updated to read likes/dislikes one day. Nowadays though, I just make a note in coded nicknames if they have a somewhat noteworthy like, such as steel, gold, an exotic wood, an easily accessible species of bone or some textile.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2] 3