Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Names you assign to noteworthy dwarves?  (Read 3242 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Names you assign to noteworthy dwarves?
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:22:46 am »

I, often by habit/boredom, give custom nicknames to some of my dwarves. I was wondering if anyone else does this? What sort of creative names do you give your dwarves?

Examples of mine:
-Whineybitch (The tantruming child who lost her arms and legs and parents)
-Librarian *number* (Give one to every engraver; they seem important).
-Killsmith (Guess the reference; goes to the militia captain)
-Xslayer (Awarded to dwarves for awesome kills; such as my recent 'Mongoose Slayer' for killing a mongoose demon goblin king, with a long title and list of kills, and my Kingslayer.)
- 1 through to 7 (the starting dwarves)

What are some of yours?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Names you assign to noteworthy dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:52 am »

I personally don't.  They've EARNED their own names through their deeds and actions.  The weak and stupid tend to get themselves killed in my fortresses.  Generally because they wall themselves in somewhere while I'm busy elsewhere with another project  (I do my best to save them though)

That said, i can see the appeal. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:28:19 am »

Most of mine get generic job names.  Carp and Mecha and Miner and Smith.  I did have a Captain Bitey though.  In the early years of my fort, he fought down a badger naked, and bit it to death.  Every training session after that was biting.  It was glorious.  Until he and his entire squad died because none of them had any dodging, shield, or weapon skills.  They died gloriously.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:08 am »

I usually only name my original seven, so i remember who they are when i have 100+ dwarves running hither thither.

It's normally names i generally find to be badass(Zedrial, Denzix, and Esta are a couple examples). Although Fumbles was admittedly one of my slightly less awesome choices, especially now that he's the leader of my army.

Really should have thought that one through...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:04:03 am »

I don't give custom nicknames except for the starting seven. Everybody else is either "Urist McUristurist, random migrant" or in the military until he proves to be more than just a random migrant. In my forts, you don't earn a name, you earn the right to have a profession other than hauler. So if a peasant enters the map, I check if he's material for the militia or just enable all the no-skill labours or whatever is needed at the moment (mostly engraving and masonry)... after 10 years of hard work, Urist Mcuristurist may be promoted to "Mason" but to gain a nickname, he'd need to singlehandedly save the fort from tentacled demons or something.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:24:54 am »

I nickname my starting seven after the colors of the rainbow. The rest are named after people I know in an IRC channel. After that? I start using video game names.

I used to not do this, but then it became difficult to track battle logs sometimes. I mean, how can I tell which Woodworker is the Woodworker in this log!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:29:45 am »

I usually only name dwarves when they do something remarkable, or when I'm feeling sadistic.  I had a miner in one fortress who was ambushed by a fire man.  He punched its head off and went right back to mining.  He earned the name 'Firepuncher'.  Another dwarf had nerve damage after a fight, and was constantly spamming messages about being unable to pick up something due to injury.  I named him 'Fumbles'.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:30:41 am »

I give all my graspless cripples the title "the Martyr" a viking name like "eric" or "bjorn" and a nice tomb. then i put them in a no uniform squad and send them after the local wild life. They get to be good at dodgeing kicking wrestleing and biting.I post their barracks a little outside the gate The when ever there there is an ambush guess who gets to die buying time for my woodcutters to get inside, and time for my militia to assemble.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:33:07 am by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:01:27 am »

Most of my dwarves die out too fast for it to be worth it, to be honest.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Marklar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:24:30 am »

I just change the profession name of my military dwarves. Everyone starts as a recruit, those who survive the first battle are promoted to private, after that I just promote the ones who do something noteworthy. In 40d I used to give a custom name for every milita commander/captain for reasons unknown, maybe I should start doing that again.
I sense a political conspiracy...Rewriting the story of leader's demise at the hand of goblins to treacherous regicide by fellow dwarfs: "et tu, Urist?"

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:07 am »

I keep all my dwarfs names as they come with.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:48:26 am »

I usually make them something immature. I recall the militia captain "Nudity" the Eternal Spear of Ages.

I usually change the jobs, though. I've given the job "Useless Cripple", "Hauling Bitch", "Fucktard" for all the dorfs who walled themselves into a pump stack...

It is HILARIOUS to see: Urist McMason, Ghostly Fucktard, has arisen and is haunting the fort!

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:07 am »

The only ones to be graced with custom nicknames in my forts are dwarfs with some outstanding military story.  The names usually relate to the awesome act that earned them their names.

Such as:

Footbane - the first kill of the fort was this guy biting a goblin in the foot and thrashing it around until it bled to death.

Skullfist - One of my first militiadorfs, before I had made any proper weapons or equipment, killed three goblins in a row by punching them in the face and caving in their skulls through their brains.  He had no combat or wrestler experience when this happened.

Captain Badass - One siege, a few trolls and a handful of goblin archers made it into my courtyard before I got the bridge up, my militia captain was first on the scene, while everyone else was gathering equipment.  She blocked arrows right and left and hacked all of them up before anyone else managed to get there.  She came out a bit worse for wear, but still managed to hold her own in later fights despite not being able to walk.

Cleaver - killed a forgotten beast in one hit due to decapitation.  I later found this guy removing all of a human's limbs before finally chopping off the head.  I'm a little scared of this one to be honest.

Headstrong - (one of my favorite stories)  For some reason this unlucky guy was caught outside when a goblin siege showed up, he was already in the militia, but was off duty at the time.  I had planned to just let him die, it was his own damn fault for being out there, but he didn't seem to agree with that.  He ran out into the middle of three squads of goblin archers, and literally ran a circle around them, never getting hit once.  He then headed north away from the archers where he was intercepted by a squad of speargoblins.  They chased him around half of the map before they finally caught him, by which time the rest of my military had dispatched most of the rest of the siege.  I sent a few squads to save this guy, having reconsidered letting him die after all that.  He got stabbed in the foot and fell over unconscious, and lay there for three days before reinforcements arrived.  Two speargoblins and one axegoblin spent the entire three days bashing this guy in the head, and failing to get through his masterwork steel helmet.  He survived the entire encounter with minor wounds.

The only non-military dwarf to get a nickname is the poor sap that I send to open the candystore.  I call that one "Sacrifice," though I will change their name if one ever manages to run to safety.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 11:30:25 am »

Rarely, but I did have a spear dwarf I named Nosferatu after he bit a goblin in the throat and shook him violently until arteries were severed in a glorious spray of blood.

Too bad he died to the 'I don't have yarn for your mood because this is a .25 fort genned in a .18 world' issue.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 11:37:48 am »

I generally only name people worthy of me even looking at them. Such as the resting mayor in my sig, now HE was a badass.
Pages: [1] 2 3