Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Minecraft Roleplay... dwarf Fortress Style!  (Read 11099 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft Roleplay... dwarf Fortress Style!
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »

Sadly, I won't be able to join in on the fun after all. I found out earlier this evening that, for whatever reason, my computer can't run Minecraft for more than about 10 minutes without crashing. In browser, download; doesn't matter. It didn't use to be this bad, so I can only conclude that the new version doesn't agree with my system.
Do you have a recent computer and the "Not enough memory" crash? If so just install Java 64bits.
I'm not sure what crash it is. I'll be placing some blocks to make something, and right before the crash I start placing invisible blocks. Other times I'm simply watching the sun rise and Java dies. I don't get any error messages, just something along the lines of "Java has stopped working and needs to close".

I'm running a two-year-old Vista computer with at least 4 gigs of RAM.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »

I'd like to join, GMT +1

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2011, 02:51:10 pm »

Sadly, I won't be able to join in on the fun after all. I found out earlier this evening that, for whatever reason, my computer can't run Minecraft for more than about 10 minutes without crashing. In browser, download; doesn't matter. It didn't use to be this bad, so I can only conclude that the new version doesn't agree with my system.
Do you have a recent computer and the "Not enough memory" crash? If so just install Java 64bits.
I'm not sure what crash it is. I'll be placing some blocks to make something, and right before the crash I start placing invisible blocks. Other times I'm simply watching the sun rise and Java dies. I don't get any error messages, just something along the lines of "Java has stopped working and needs to close".

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/645785-fixed-exe-for-out-of-memory-problems/
Try this. I did, but instead of putting in 2048 I put int 259, seems to work great...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/645785-fixed-exe-for-out-of-memory-problems/
Try this. I did, but instead of putting in 2048 I put int 259, seems to work great...
I'll give it a shot later and report back.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sw1ss4rmy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:09 pm »

Ah, I can host a server on a home machine pretty much 24/7 without using Hamachi, but being at university means that occasionally they'll choke the number of connections I can make. We can test it out nevertheless, if you guys are interested in it. Otherwise, would there be anyone else interested in hosting, ideally someone with a capable VPS?

I think it would be great for someone to host a test server untill the OP or someone with a very good server starts something more permanent. I would also recommend if you do this to either tell the OP to put something on the first post about it or make your own thread.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2011, 04:35:33 am »

I would like to try this out, GTM +0 atm

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 05:33:37 am »

I would quite like to give this a go, GMT +0 here too.

My router had been disconnecting whenever I tried to play SMP but just recently it's been fine.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2011, 07:48:46 am »

Looks like we've got at least 3 forts worth of people who want to join. Maybe several simultaneous embarks? Or we could figure out a system for immigrants/reproduction... I'll be a ladydwarf if no one else wants to.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:52 am »

Or just put up a server, say "We are dwarfs, we build a fort" and see if people can figure things out themselves~ (which, seeing we are dwarf fortress players, I find  highly likely)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2011, 10:40:36 am »

Or just put up a server, say "We are dwarfs, we build a fort" and see if people can figure things out themselves~ (which, seeing we are dwarf fortress players, I find  highly likely)
It'd be nice to have a server where everyone does their assigned labors. Hell, we could have warring forts if we so desired  ;)

Or we could be more peaceful, and only fight the wildlife. I think wars would be bad though, as it would devolve into "Y R U DESTROYING OUR BASE WHILE WE'RE ALL OFF? U GEY"  :-\

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »

........ Why isn't there a dwarf fortress mod and the multiplayer version of it?

We need hidden fun stuff, 50 types of stone, 50 types of ores, elephants, kobalds, goblins, and dragons.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »

........ Why isn't there a dwarf fortress mod and the multiplayer version of it?

We need hidden fun stuff, 50 types of stone, 50 types of ores, elephants, kobalds, goblins, and dragons.
HFS would be awesome.

"YES! DIAMOND! I FINALLY GOT IT! HUZZAH! *picks*
Terrifying screams come from below.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »

HFS would be awesome.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

What happened to adamantium!?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »

Also need chisels to engrave the stone walls and floors with all the wonderful gruesome dwarven artwork.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »

HFS would be awesome.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

What happened to adamantium!?
Diamonds are the Minecraft equivalent  :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7