Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Minecraft Roleplay... dwarf Fortress Style!  (Read 11082 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft Roleplay... dwarf Fortress Style!
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2011, 01:30:12 pm »

What's so bad about hamachi?
While Hamachi is not bad per se, the fact that you still have to install it to enter servers using Hamachi just puts me off. In a shared computer, this can be quite problematic, especially if you're running out of desktop icon space, and barring that, forgetting to uninstall it when you plan on not using it anymore for a very long time, effectively becoming bloatware.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2011, 01:31:46 pm »

Okay, people hate hamachi, and there's people interested on doing the DF style.
What we gonna do about the server? Any good idea?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2011, 01:32:02 pm »

Would join, but only if this isn't on hamachi. Oh and GMT +8.
I also hate hamachi. I'm not joining if its hamachi.
If it is hamachi, there will be 0% of me joining. Nonhamachigoers, UNITE
Why rage about hamachi? I don't use it much but it seems like decent program to me.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »

GMT -4:00 here, this sounds awesome

So are we gonna have one person giving commands, or is everyone going to just make a big fortress with dwarf skins?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2011, 02:43:02 pm »

Isn't hamachi necessary only by people who have extraordinarially derp interwebs?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »

I don't see why people hate it.

While Hamachi is not bad per se, the fact that you still have to install it to enter servers using Hamachi just puts me off. In a shared computer, this can be quite problematic, especially if you're running out of desktop icon space, and barring that, forgetting to uninstall it when you plan on not using it anymore for a very long time, effectively becoming bloatware.

So you hate it because it takes space in the desktop and you have to install it to use it?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2011, 02:58:07 pm »

And I just remembered, the free version can only have 8 people connected at a time. If we're going to have 7 dorfs + 2-4 goblins on at a time... Yeah, the general consensus is to go the hard route as far as setting up a server goes, and not take the lanovertheinternetitsscienceomg shortcut.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »

GMT-5.

How many people would be expected to be on at a time?

It would be cool to have the server owner be the fortress overseer, I think. Do you obey, or go have a drink? :P

And finally, a use for my ascii dorf skin.

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2011, 09:33:48 pm »

Ok guys! I'm glad so many people are interested. I'm curious if anyone knows how to/ can reach someone with a server that would be willing to help us. The Timezone differences are not so bad per se, because we can have a few architects that can lay out the fortress specs in this thread or something so builders in different time zones can go on for building the fort and carrying out other tasks, and it seems that we have enough people that nearly all timezones are hit. We really need a server, but after that everything else can be completely defined by us. We shall do this the Dorfy way!

I like the idea of overseers, or at least general consesus approved plans, and I like the idea of being able to tantrum if you are "pissed." more roleplay = more !!fun!!, as long as its playful and not just griefing :P
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:35:35 pm by Darkfyre »
A gem-encrusted sock is perfect for ass-kicking.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:56 pm »

We could ask Aklyon if we could use his server. He has a thread we can ask in.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sw1ss4rmy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:04 pm »

I would love to join GMT -7 (MST). The OP should start making a list on the first post of people and their timezones, also assignments of their jobs. ( I would be a blacksmith, and anything needed before we hit iron and coal)

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45:26 pm »

I'd join as a Redstone working person, Dwarf Up! (Also: I am US Central Time)
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:39 am »

Sadly, I won't be able to join in on the fun after all. I found out earlier this evening that, for whatever reason, my computer can't run Minecraft for more than about 10 minutes without crashing. In browser, download; doesn't matter. It didn't use to be this bad, so I can only conclude that the new version doesn't agree with my system.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2011, 03:13:14 am »

Sadly, I won't be able to join in on the fun after all. I found out earlier this evening that, for whatever reason, my computer can't run Minecraft for more than about 10 minutes without crashing. In browser, download; doesn't matter. It didn't use to be this bad, so I can only conclude that the new version doesn't agree with my system.
Do you have a recent computer and the "Not enough memory" crash? If so just install Java 64bits.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2011, 04:13:13 am »

Ah, I can host a server on a home machine pretty much 24/7 without using Hamachi, but being at university means that occasionally they'll choke the number of connections I can make. We can test it out nevertheless, if you guys are interested in it. Otherwise, would there be anyone else interested in hosting, ideally someone with a capable VPS?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7