Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civ Dwarves Fighting Back  (Read 2241 times)

Satatik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civ Dwarves Fighting Back
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »

I just had a weaponsmith get attacked by a relatively weak underground critter, and to my surprise he started to attack it by throwing rocks. It which was incredibly effective! He charged in and tackled it, punching and kicking until the militia arrived. Amazing!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Civ Dwarves Fighting Back
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:12 pm »

Throwing rocks?  Can you post a screenshot of the combat report?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »

Throwing rocks?  Screenshot of combat reports?

Otherwise, dwarves prone to anger tend to fight back more readily, but all civs are capable of fighting.  It's a bit unusual, but not unheard of.  I had a weaponsmith in the very beginning of one fort, who attempted to go eat some simple prickle berries, but was suddenly affronted by a badger who attempted to [CURIOUS_BEAST:FOOD] his claimed berries!  So he spent like 3 weeks running around the countryside chasing his meal but running from the badger, until the badger finally enraged on him and the weaponsmith killed it, and then went and ate his berry, and then was ordered to make a -Badger Leather Armor- that he wore until his goblin-related death a few years later.

Satatik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:12:57 am »

Unfortunately I do not have screenshots. :-/ Maybe Toady could shed some light on this?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:33:43 am »

This sounds cool! He threw rocks at it?!
Go to your DF folder, open the "gamelog.txt" file. Every single report is stored over there. Find that fight and ctrl+c, ctrl+v it. Or at least upload the file somewhere.
Don't do it for us, do it for ‼SCIENCE‼
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Satatik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:39 pm »

Just popped open gamelog.txt and did a search for spinning. It doesn't say who threw it, but I vaguely remember it having to do with a weaponsmith.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »

Wow, that was literally a pissed off dwarf grabbing handfuls of dirt and throwing them at a monster.  Screenshot of this dwarf's Thoughts and Preferences please?  And any additional information as to what happened in and around the incident?  To the best of all knowledge, dwarves in fort mode only throw items in a tantrum.  If you can harness thrown items, then the game changes!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:32:11 pm »

This is pretty amazing, I can only assume that this dwarf is now living in your best room and will eventually become Baron. And that he'll be wearing a Draltha leather cape.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »

Are you sure you don't have any stonefall traps?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Satatik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:51 am »

Hmm that might explain it, stonefall traps. Then again.... I only have 3!!!! This was a while back in my current fort and without knowing which dwarf exactly it was that threw the rock I can only give my best guess. Happiness is not a factor, since according to dwarftherapist all my dwarves except my soldiers are at least 'happy' (127) is the lowest score, and this has not changed since before or after that event.

Also, most if not all of the civ dwarves that were 'interupted' by the Draltha have 'adequate' fighting, armor using,, dodger, wrestling, etc. Did I just witness a miracle and not document it? WHAT THE HELL.  :-X

Also one of the dwarves had 'strives for excellence' and 'handles stress well' if that helps.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:45:16 am by Satatik »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:26:09 am »

Have you checked to see if any of your dwarves have Dabbling Thrower?

That many thrown items would put them almost halfway to Novice.

Satatik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:28 am »

Is there a quick way to go about that? It would be a pain to go through 100+ dwarves... This is so wierd, I am surprised no one else has seen this? I have played DF for years now, and I know civs usually just run or get cornered. When I saw this I thought it was awesome, but also thought it was probably a new feature in the new version or something....

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 05:21:46 am »

Is there a quick way to go about that? It would be a pain to go through 100+ dwarves... This is so wierd, I am surprised no one else has seen this? I have played DF for years now, and I know civs usually just run or get cornered. When I saw this I thought it was awesome, but also thought it was probably a new feature in the new version or something....

Just check if any of your weaponsmiths have that skill.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 03:33:30 pm »

Is there a quick way to go about that?
Sure. Fire up Dwarf Therapist (which you should already be using) and click on the military tab. Click the Throwing column, and you can resort the list into descending order. Check for any dwarf with 0 or greater skill (0 = dabbling with XP, blank = no skill/XP).

Fin.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »

If we can figure out how to reliably reproduce this...
I'm already envisioning fortress layouts that include stockpiles of large serrated discs just strewn haphazardly all around entranceways and outdoor areas...
Pages: [1] 2