Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The tale of Zetris  (Read 1191 times)

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The tale of Zetris
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:10:00 pm »

My fortress sat on top of one of the bordering mountains leading down to a river valley. Things were often peaceful here. The dwarves were all happy living in the fortress until one day, a siege of werewolves came, there were about 30, all wrestlers. They even brought a war rhino. No one expected it, the fortress was just able to finish up the outer walls that defended the staircase down into the main halls. The one bad thing was that there was no gate to keep the blood thirsty invaders out. I quickly mustered all of the dwarves that had some skill in weaponry  and sent the to stand outside the fortress's walls. The makeshift military was armed with mostly copper weapons, some iron. They stood there, waiting for the hairy beasts to come to them. The werewolves charged them and the battle began. During the battle, limbs were flying, blood was everywhere, mostly dwarf. I was sure that the battle was lost when suddenly I see this one dwarf slaughtering the invaders one by one. Once he was done with that group, he quickly aided two of his other dwarven comrades. The two dwarves that needed assistance retreated back to the fortress's walls, while their savoir kept fighting. After he finished those last few werewolves the war rhino charged him, I thought this was the end for him, I was wrong. He quickly made work of the rhino, smashing it's skull with his iron war hammer. The last few werewolves retreated and the siege was over. I later found out that this dwarf killed over fifteen werewolves. At that point, I knew he was not a ordinary dwarf. I named him Zetris, and I made him the Commander of the Militia, the fortress treated him like a god. For five years, he lead the dwarven army into every battle and emerged victorious. He kept the fortress safe, during his tour of duty he killed over forty invaders, two forgotten beasts, one ettin, and over thirty creatures from the caverns below the fortress's halls. He only had one friend, a furnace operator, he died two years after the first siege, since then, Zetris only treated people as acquaintances. During the fifth year the fortress was at it's top glory. Over one-hundred dwarves resided there. During one spring day, the werewolves returned. There were over 45 of them, all mounted on rhino's. My jaw dropped. I knew this was too many werewolves, even for Zetris. I ordered all of my dwarves inside the safety of the fortress's walls. Sadly, some didn't make it before the gate closed, they were gored by the rhinos. I tried to wait out the invasion, it had been three months and they still sat there, waiting. The fortress's source of water came from the river in the vally below, but due to the invasion, we had no access to it. Slowly, dwarves started to die of thirst. After some time, my population was down to twenty. Zetris being one of them. Dwarves wandered the halls weeping over the friends and family they've lost. One of the dwarves wandered down into the caverns and spotted a blind cave ogre. The beast picked up the poor soul and threw him against a nearby cavern wall, he died instantly. The ogre made it's way up to the fortress. I sent out Zetris to combat the beast. He quickly killed it in the main living hallway. Zetris slowly walked back to his room. Now, the fortress's population was down to three. It wasn't long before one of the remaining dwarves went beserk and killed a nearby glassmaker. Zetris smashed the insane dwarf to pieces in the meeting hall. Zetris was the only dwarf left. I found him walking back to his room, he laid down in his bed. Within seconds, he was gone. Forever.

So, does anyone else have a story similar to this to share?       

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The tale of Zetris
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:25:10 pm »

wow really he was the last dwarf standing? Did he die on his bed from wounds or what that just a good way to say it ended?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »

I do have a zetris that is in the 'middle' of his life - he's a amazing axeman, 70 kills on him, wielding an artifact platinum battle axe.

also...

... Iron war hammers? hopefully that came from goblinite, since you had access to copper.

... Fortress dying when you lose access to water - do you not use booze?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »

No one was left to make the booze.

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:48:39 pm »

wow really he was the last dwarf standing? Did he die on his bed from wounds or what that just a good way to say it ended?

He died of thirst, Zetris surprisingly almost never got wounded. Although, during year two of his campaign, he lost his right eye. 

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:37:12 am »

Next time the end is looming around you give every hand a weapon and throw open your gates. Warriors such as Zetris deserve to die in defiance not in hiding.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:39:53 am by Bishop36 »
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 05:28:10 am »

That's truly epic, although the block of text makes it a bit hard to read. Paragraph it?

Also, it seems as though you forgot booze was a source of thirst-quenching. Even without water you can survive off a perpetual state of plump helmet farming to keep your dwarves fed and drunk.

E: Oh, you ran out of guys. I guess you could have hired a few of the unskilled people to do it when you started to die out?

I had a similar story. To cut the long story short I was sieged by a lot of goblins and mounts, down to 10 dwarves which I locked inside the dining room. My dining room also doubled as a zoo. As my last bit of hope before my dwarves all starved I released a swarm of cats, leopards, bears, crundles and a giant cave spider. I kept them there because they raise value really well and are cool. Needless to say; I lost. As soon as I opened the door a team of trolls beat every animal, man, woman and child to death.

Darn.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:29:42 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »

Next time the end is looming around you give every hand a weapon and throw open your gates. Warriors such as Zetris deserve to die in defiance not in hiding.

I wanted Zetris's body to be preserved for when Necromancers are added.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »

Haha awesome.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons