Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [BUG] Failure to Auto-butcher?  (Read 796 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
[BUG] Failure to Auto-butcher?
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:08:17 pm »

For some reason my butcher shops have suddenly stopped auto-butchering.  I do have my civilians burrowed during raids, but when not under attack my civilians go free, and previously this has never been an issue with forts.  I've got 5 new civs included of generic animal-men sieges, and 10 additional non-civ species that are similar, ethics modded to allow butchering sentients.

Y U NO CUT UP BODY?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: [BUG] Failure to Auto-butcher?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »

Most likely the body is invalid for butchering for some reason - too small, or a tame animal, or forbidden by your civilization's ethics.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:28:49 pm »

Everything is permitted by my ethics (aside from my own dwarves corpses littering the ground) and is accessible to the serfs.  I haven't opened the caverns, so any animal people corpses shouldn't be causing trouble.  Could it by the dwarf bodies causing some strange clogging?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 08:36:23 pm »

What bodies aren't being butchered?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »

Primarily sentient corpses, namely my modded-in fox-morphs and cat-morphs and their associated limbs, and similar species.  But that's simply what's here right now, I don't have any loose animal corpses right now because I haven't been hunting.  But my ethics are modded to allow butchering sentients and this hasn't been a problem with previous foots and similar situations.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:11 pm »

Were these creatures hostiles attacking the fortress, traders you killed, or members of your civilization that got killed?

MrC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:51:04 pm »

I have had the experience that animals killed in melee combat don't butcher. but that was on previous versions...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

I have had the experience that animals killed in melee combat don't butcher. but that was on previous versions...
Definitely not the case in the current version, I've had soldiers chop apart wild animals in melee combat and yet still have them butchered.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »

Tame animals that you own, when killed, cannot be butchered.  The only way to butcher a tame animal is to give the butcher command.

These were all sieges that were killed.  I can order the butcher to Butcher a Dead Animal /R and they will proceed as normal, but they will not set the task up on their own even though I double checked the orders menu.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:53 pm »

Are the corpses being brought to a refuse stockpile near the butchers workshops?

If so, do you have the Workshop Order set to auto butcher?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:17:30 am »

They are and I do.  Specifically, the stockpile was right beside it, but I decided to repurpose that area and put my junk pile on the roof, but the bug was happening before that.  I can still manually order the job, even though the auto-butcher option is enabled.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 01:44:56 am »

Not sure what I did, but it's working now.  It MAY have been the locked door, causing corpses to be out of bounds at the time of death.  Not sure that would do it though.  I know the alert burrow didn't matter because dwarves are more than happy to spam "inaccessible" job cancels any time I think about the letter "w".