Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: I just found out what a crundle is..  (Read 44634 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just found out what a crundle is..
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »

Urethral sounding. Imagine a herd of Violent Urethral Sounders. They can fly and they know where to fly to.

Yes, yes, that would do it. There's some of that good old fashioned horror.

"The forgotten beast Vus has come! A great undulating catheter. It is long and skinny and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly-"

Ok, no. I'm done. I'm done forever.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 05:08:28 pm »

It seems more likely that it was based on the ancient word crundle and not the current, cruder meaning since that is an oblique reference to Tolkien's barrow-wights.

crundel, crundol, crundul; gen. crundeles, crundles; dat. crundle, crundelle; m. I. a barrow, mound raised over graves to protect them; tumulus :-- On ðone durnan [MS. durnen] crundel; of ðam durnan crundelle on ðone þorn to the retired barrow; from the retired barrow to the thorn, Cod. Dipl. 1053; A. D. 854; Kmbl. v. 105, 26. Ðonan on morþcrundle; of morþcrundle on ðone brádan herpæþ [MS. herpaþ] thence to the death-barrow [to the tumulus of the dead]; from the tumulus of the dead to the broad military road, Cod. Dipl. 543; A. D. 968; Kmbl. iii. 23, 34, 35. Ðér þwyres ofer þrý crundelas there across over three barrows, Cod. Dipl. 985; Kmbl. v. 13, 32. II. in later times crundel is n :-- On dæt crundel to the barrow, Cod. Dipl. 1283; Kmbl. vi. 120, 8. [Kemble, in his Glossary Cod. Dipl. iii. pref. p. xxi, says, -- 'It seems to denote a sort of water-course, a meadow through which a stream flows.' Yet the following example in this same vol. proves that a crundel could not be a meadow through which a stream flows, as it was on a hill :-- Cráwan crundul on Wereðan hylle Crow's crundle on Weretha's hill, Cod. Dipl. 698; A. D. 997; Kmbl. iii. 301, 35. Professor Leo says, -- 'A crundel or crundwel is a spring or well, with its cistern, trough, or reservoir,' and cites, -- Ðonon eft on crundwylle then again to crund-spring, Cod. Dipl. 1188; Kmbl. v. 354, 20, 28. The crundle on Weretha's hill militates against Dr. Leo's view, as well as Kemble's; Mr. Thorpe therefore concludes, -- 'My belief is, that the word is not Anglo-Saxon, nor Germanic, but British, and signifies a tumulus or barrow, and is akin to the Welsh carneddaw a cairn or heap of stones,' Th. Diplm. Glossary, p. 654.] DER. morþ-crundel, stán-.

So you could always change it over to a different spelling if it bothers you that much. Maybe crundol for males and crundelles for females.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:11:13 pm by Ubiq »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 05:29:15 pm »

A Wild Blue Waffle has appeared!

(I'm so sorry please don't ban me...)

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 05:55:59 pm »

Why Girlinhat, I really don't see why that would get you banned. Blueberries are delicious, and blue waffles would be delicious in the morning (or any other time, there's never a time that wouldn't be made better with waffles!)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 05:58:33 pm »

(Spy voice) I hate you.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »

Why Girlinhat, I really don't see why that would get you banned. Blueberries are delicious, and blue waffles would be delicious in the morning (or any other time, there's never a time that wouldn't be made better with waffles!)

You...sicko...  *shudder*
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:58 pm »

Alright, I apologize, I just had to try and feign ignorance. For anybody who fortunately doesn't know it, don't look! Save yourself! Just run away now and spare what fragments of innocence you might have left!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 06:46:49 pm »

I think most of us lost our innocence when we read the mermaid thread or one of the other threads detailing some horrific hilarious atrocity. This is just another day in the life of a dwarf.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »

Then there's cupcakes...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 06:56:59 pm »

Ignorance is bliss.

Temptation is present in the most innocent looking words.

It pays to be a wordsmith.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 07:10:19 pm »

Invariably.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »

XgirlsYcups

Fill in any values for x>0 and y>0 and record your corruption after the viewing, as science will appreciate your notes.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:05 pm »

wasn't there an xkcd on that a while back?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:03 pm »

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15