Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Graphics  (Read 1512 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Graphics
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

In the past I was one who would wait for graphics packs for each new version, but I'm so excited about what's coming up that I'll jump back into ascii with no complaints.  I learned the game on ascii; and the new version for me will be like learning it all again, what with all the new stuff.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:52 pm »

I like the standard one. I just use the square version so my lovely neat rooms don't look completely hideous (but then I go and ruin it all by engraving everything).
[Signature]

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »

For the OP, the wiki has a great selection of both full graphics sets and just modified tilesets, most with either screenshots or at least pictures of the tileset used. 

Personally I have tried using graphics but get the "leaning in and squinting" problem as it's just so much easier to distinguish a 'g' from a ':' than two similarly shaped and shaded detailed multicoloured tiles.  It's funny; before I started, I was all worried about the graphics and wondered if I'd be able to keep up with all the info on screen and catch what was happening so I looked into graphics sets and everything.  I think after about 10 minutes I got tired of not being able to look up a particular tile on the wiki based on sight and switched back to vanilla.  At the moment I'm using an ASCII set with a few tweaks I edited in (put an 'x' inside 'off' levers to make it clearer, etc.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »

(but then I go and ruin it all by engraving everything).
Turn engravings obscured, it looks SO much better.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

Definitely.  I used to waste time doing it manually with the 'toggle engravings' designation, but I changed that init.txt setting and have never looked back.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 06:51:00 am »

I do! But then all my floors look like chalk walls and I get lost amongst the dwarves and tables and starving mules and wells and levers and beds and forges and tantrums.
[Signature]
Pages: 1 [2]