Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Graphics  (Read 1511 times)

bucksfan47

• Bay Watcher
  • Catch ya on the flip side. RIP Rocco
    • View Profile
Graphics
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:05:01 pm »

I'm kinda bored of the Lazy newb pack graphics. Ive seen other graphics in screenshots and some looked pretty cool but i dont know how to get them.

Could someone plz take a screenshot of some graphics and tell me how u got it.

I hope this isnt to hard to ask. :-\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:23 pm »

I got my ASCII straight from source :P

Other than that, head to the modding section and pick a graphic pack.  Favorites are Phoebus, Ironhand, and Mayday.  When I go for graphics, I use a slightly modified Phoebus, which uses Phoebus's old diagonal walls instead of the crappy curved walls, makes circles look so much more inviting to build when they actually resemble circles.  I did that by (getting a friend to) replace the tiles in the curse set with the desired ones, simple copy-paste.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

I have never seen the world of Emeecamo in anything but ASCII. It would be weird to see my dwarves as anything but constantly upward staring faces, who refuse to stop smiling at me even as they are torn to pieces by the goblin hordes.

Aaand i just creeped myself out. Mayhap i'll try a graphics pack with my next fort...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:26:19 pm »

I've jumped around between graphics packs, but lately I've been using Phoebus. You can find instructions on how to install graphics packs on the wiki, which is where I went to find out. The wiki actually taught me most of what I know of DF...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »

Actually, most graphic packs come in their own bundle, you just play it instead of regular DF, all files included.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »

I'm kinda bored of the Lazy newb pack graphics. Ive seen other graphics in screenshots and some looked pretty cool but i dont know how to get them.

Learning the ASCII is more rewarding than any graphics pack; it loos far better after you get used to it.

Of course, then everyone who uses a pack will complain about how your screenshots are unreadable, but fuck 'em. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »

That's my view.  If you're using ASCII and others complain, then that's their problem, not yours!  You'll also be able to get updates on the dot, and not have to wait for an updated graphic pack which may or may not arrive quickly.  And you know it.  You KNOW it.  Necromancers arrive, the graphics take a week to update, and we're hashing through zombies while you're reading the forum reports and whining.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:37:52 pm »

That's my view.  If you're using ASCII and others complain, then that's their problem, not yours!  You'll also be able to get updates on the dot, and not have to wait for an updated graphic pack which may or may not arrive quickly.  And you know it.  You KNOW it.  Necromancers arrive, the graphics take a week to update, and we're hashing through zombies while you're reading the forum reports and whining.
ASCIIfive!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:27:10 pm »

Amen!  I use Ironhand myself for simplicity's sake, but i still know how to "read" the Ascii version.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:04 pm »

Agreed. ASC II is the best, but I used Mayday for screenshots. I used to be Mayday only, but now I know the TRUE face of Roguelikes!

It's... BEAUTIFUL...

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:56 am »

I used to use ASCII, then I installed a tilepack. It all seemed fine and good untill a vauge blob went past my fort, too small to see. It wasn't untill later that I realized what I thought was some stupid wildlife was infact a govlin that had escaped the last seige. It murdered 12 workers.

I have never left ASCII since.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:37:08 am »

I would enjoy ASCII a lot more, except that goblins tend to blend in with grass so much!  I think I'm just going to mod all my hostile creatures (goblins, badgers, etc) to have a bright red background or something, easy to pick them out and shoot for the head!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 12:43:54 am »

I recently weaned myself off graphics packs in order to play a succession fort. Trust me, it's not hard to pick up if you already know what you're doing, graphics or no.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:47:38 am »

Best part, "Yeah, I play DF with the tileset, sorry, I'll leave now..." turns into, "So I was running a fort the other night..."

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:31:20 am »

LNP (Lazy Newb Pack) contains already 3 graphic tilesets: Phoebus, Ironhand's and Mayday's. You can easily switch between them via the LNP launcher.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.
Pages: [1] 2