Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flame Megabeast  (Read 980 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flame Megabeast
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:43:08 pm »

a mega beast made out of flames appeared in my caverns and now its evaporating my only source of water in this glacier.
what do i do (to stop it and help my frame rate)

how can i use this power?

i am on a glacier btw
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:50:55 pm by MrShovelFace »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Flame Megabeast
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:44:40 pm »

Send any soldier or animal.  Flame is a vapor, and will dissipate with a single touch.  Seriously, any attack will kill it, same as with snow, water, or other non-solid forgotten beasts (not megabeasts, those are specifically dragons, hydra, and roc).

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:32 pm »

will a kitten suffice?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:47:16 pm »

Send any soldier or animal.  Flame is a vapor, and will dissipate with a single touch.  Seriously, any attack will kill it, same as with snow, water, or other non-solid forgotten beasts (not megabeasts, those are specifically dragons, hydra, bronze colossus,and roc).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

well hes already taken all the water so heres a question.. what is a good way to use him?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:52:42 pm »

Stick him underneath on a leash, underneath a bunch of Grates leading to the entrance of your Fort.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »

If you happen to have a GCS web trap, then could prove useful, or if you're skilled in the ways of dwarven mechanics and can build a multi-tile cage trap... but I wouldn't worry about it overly much.  Good to use as drainage, I suppose, have your mist generator pour onto him, but that would kill FPS pretty hard.  Since it is so weak, then it's not overly useful for traps or anything.  Good enough for clearing water quickly, but meh.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »

will it burn things on the other side of a fortification?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:01:30 pm »

If it can shoot fire, than perhaps, but I think stuff has to be able to path to things to shoot projectiles.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 06:03:04 pm »

It will not, nor will it heat things on the tile above it.  The only real use for this guy is to steam water (which is harmless) and to set fires (which can be lethal if there's enough grass, and can destroy cloth goblinite).

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

grass fires are useless in a glacial biome so i guess im just going to send scamps

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 06:53:35 pm »

Speaking of heating floors above, can magma do that?

I was sort of hoping to create a dwarven sauna, complete with steam bath.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 07:34:55 pm »

Magma will heat a floor above it if the magma level is at least 6/7, I think (haven't used magma in a while). While this will heat the floor to 10075° Urist (or about 107°F/42°C), it has no effect in Fortress mode other than your floors flashing red when you are laying down digging designations.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

It warms the layer above, melting ice and probably preventing hypothermia, but does not boil water.  A warm bath, certainly, but not lethal.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 08:41:38 pm »

I THOUGHT OF IT!!

this flame beast could be used to make a ‼mega‼ - perpetual motion machine (assuming i was in an area with river tiles
by creating a GIANT pit with the flame mega beast in it i could dump oceans of water on it with the pit never filling up THUS ALLOWING A FUCKING HUGE AMOUNT OF WATER WHEELS THIS IS 9000 TIMES EASIER, EFFICIENT, AND MORE SPACE CONSERVANT THAN WATER REACTORS AND REQUIRE 0 MAINTAINENCE
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:43:34 pm by MrShovelFace »
Pages: [1] 2