Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rosygranite - From Zeroes to Heroes [.25 quickstart succession]  (Read 1485 times)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
Rosygranite - From Zeroes to Heroes [.25 quickstart succession]
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:42:33 am »

The Journal of Aussieevil Urmimoddom, Digger 14th Class

Rosygranite was the name the Guild of Cartographers gave the site, probably to offset where this plot of land lay -- in the Field of Bleeding. Imagine us, me and a stoneworker, a fisherdwarf, two woodcutters, a jeweler, and a totally useless sot (along with various animals) starting a fort without knowing much of anything!

Before we got to work, we looked around at the virgin land.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-28160-wagon

Time to get to work...

(This was a quickstarted fort, and none of the original seven have any skills beyond level 2. This is going to get Fun quickly.)

Spoiler: Turns (click to show/hide)

If you decide to take a turn:
  • One turn is one year. If a player quits partway, you may play the remainder of his year in addition yo your own.
  • Once the previous player turn ends, you have three days to confirm that you are ready to play, otherwise you'll be removed from the list.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:31:05 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rosygranite (7 dwarves who know almost nothing) Succession
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:43:39 am »

I'll sign up for the next turn.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:48:47 am »

Do you want me to pick out a dwarf for you?

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:11 pm »

Sure, why not. Don't really care which dwarf you choose for me.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:36:39 pm »

Ill take a turn. Also, you might want to make some rules, like how long a turn is and stuff.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »

drakon136, you are the stoneworker. Coolnesstod, you are the jeweler. My turn will be up shortly.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:45:12 pm »

I'll take a turn. I'll dorf myself later.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:01:53 am »

After they finished looking around, the dwarves got to work -- well, at least two of them did. Aussieevil started digging out an entry alcove, while the woodcutters Meng and Kumil went to chop down trees. Sarvesh, the fisherdwarf, wandered off to find some fish. The other three just kept sitting around the wagon, looking at the wild rabbits.

After Meng decided that she and Kumil had cut down enough trees, she went to build a temporary workshop so that they could get some beds. Sure, the grass was soft, but it just wouldn't do well for the dwarves in the long run. Kumil, meanwhile, began setting up a still and farm plots. After a few days, the beds were finished and placed in an antechamber to the farm to act as a temporary dorm until Aussieevil could dig out a residential sector.

For a group of inexperienced dwarves, the Digger thought, we're doing all right.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »

As summer arrived, the fortress was beginning to move slowly from the wagon indoors. A dining room and offices were dug out, and Aussieevil was still chipping away at residential and industrial sectors. However, they didn't have any tradable goods yet -- or even someone who knew how to trade -- and that concerned the Digger. However, he noticed that the site had lots of magnetite -- good news for when the fort would inevitably start its metalworking industry -- as well as lots of gems to keep Coolnesstod interested. But for now, it was about making basic living accommodations and small knick-knacks out of wood and stone.

Reports from the surface that there were badgers outside gave the leader more concern. Those small animals were, in a word, nuts -- they were known to go bezerker on any other animal they saw. Sure, alone one would be not a big deal -- but there seemed to be a large group of them milling about the southwestern boundary of the site near one of the fishing holes Sarvesh frequented. "I hope you are quick on your feet," the leader told the fisherdwarf as they passed in the hallway.

On the fourth of Malachite, four dwarves arrived. Unfortunately, they decided to walk through the group of badgers, causing the small animals to be enraged. Miraculously, they didn't trade any blows. This small wave was followed by another pair of dwarves in mid-autumn.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:56:33 pm by aussieevil »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 01:03:41 pm »

The merchants came in late autumn, followed, of course, by the outpost liason and the caravan guard. Aussieevil was ticked off by the fact that the liason was starting the meeting in the Digger's bedroom instead of holding it until they were both in the administrative office. When asked what the Mountainhomes could produce for them, Aussieevil responded with a curt "ropes, sand, glass, and something to drink besides wine."

The liason nodded. "Here's what we would like in return," he said, handing over a piece of paper. On it was a list of items including cut gems, leggings, and plants.

"The gems we can do easily," the Digger replied. "You'll have to give us some time for the other two."

The liason nodded. "Oh, before I leave," he said, throwing Aussieevil a small badge. "The Guild of Miners wanted you to have this."

Aussieevil caught the badge. It was the usual Digger's badge with the addition of a single silver star, indicating a Digger 1st Class. "They promoted me all the way up?" he said.

"Surprising, isn't it," the liason said before leaving the small bedroom. "Farewell."

Back topside, Lorbam, chosen to be the broker, kept making small deals with the caravan - a little clay for a trio of cut smoky quartz, some wood for some small knick-knacks. Soon, Aussieevil came out of the hallway and pulled over Lorbam to talk. "How are they?" the Digger asked the trader.

"Happy, I guess?" the trader replied. "I can't really tell..."

Aussieevil muttered. "Look, be nice to them and let them get away with a little profit. If you do that, they'll trust you more. Now what we need is food and something other than wine - I've been hearing complaints about the lack of variety here, and I want it to stop."

Lorbam nodded. "I think I understand," he replied, and walked back to the depot. "Gentlemen!" he said out loud to the merchants. "Shall we make a deal?"

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rosygranite - From Zeroes to Heroes [.25 quickstart succession]
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:36:40 pm »

The caravan guard spent the time waiting for trades to finish by battling wolves as winter arrived. Once they left, Aussieevil went to talk with drakon136, who was currently working on beautifying the statue garden. "Just to let you know, you're next in line to oversee the fortress," he told the engraver. "Don't screw it up." He then left down the staircase to finish up the Hall of Justice in the lower level of the fortress.

After that, life in the fortress went on without any major incidents for the last month of the year. Power was passed between Aussieevil and drakon silently.

(Here is the file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4981
and the map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10724-rosygranite

And drakon136, your dwarf seems to have an obsession with a particular elf.)

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

Okay, I'll start my turn tomorrow.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:09 pm »

Good luck.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »

drakon's Journal, 1st Granite, 251

Aussie handed control of the fortress to me, and boy, I sure am glad it's my turn to run this place. Everything was going well, but we don't even have a damn military yet! What kind of fortress doesn't have some stupid bastards running into their own demise for the sake of the other inhabitants? I've looked over the profiles of our citizens, and I've appointed Melbil the glazer as military commander. Strong, tough, already has military training. He's perfect for the job, even though he's a bit clumsy at times.

On another note, it didn't take too long to find some magnetite. Perfect for starting up our metal industry.

drakon's Journal, 25th Granite, 251

I've finally got forges almost up-and-running. We've got a wood furnace producing charcoal, our smelter producing iron and pig iron for steel, and a forge is being constructed so we can arm our dwarves.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »

Add me to the turn list.
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!
Pages: [1] 2