Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: News regarding Cowed  (Read 3831 times)

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
  • Cowed's Community Manager
    • View Profile
News regarding Cowed
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:24:00 am »

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:23:25 pm by FlamePrince »
Silence will fall.
It falls on the weak-minded
It fears the obnoxious.

I wear a fez, now. Fezzes are cool.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rebirth of a dead Cow?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:36:27 am »

Hi, welcome to Bay12 and all! I've never played Cowed, so I can't exactly help you there, but I just want to say it might not be a good idea to put your e-mail address in a public post, since a spambot could easily notice it.
Perhaps people could just PM you, and you could PM them your address? :) Good luck!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:29 am »

The better idea is to just redirect them to the Email button under your name.

Also, I had a bit of fun with Cowed once in a while. So I'd be interested to see where this goes.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:38:28 am »

I used to be one of the admins on the original Cow RP server. That is, until I got removed for being the only admin who didn't abuse (I'm not joking). The community is about as bad as BYOND's in general, if it hasn't changed since my day. Still, might be worth trying again.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:56:34 am »

Good to hear I have some support from the Bay12 community. I am not sure when it will be up, but it will be up. Whether or not if I have a developer to help update it, I want the people who liked Cowed because of it's few distinct qualities to be able to play it with others.

And thank you, Yoink, but I'm not worried. That's just my gaming address. I rarely use it, but I'll be checking it now.
Silence will fall.
It fears the obnoxious.

Maxdax222

• Bay Watcher
  • Hallo.
    • View Profile
Re: News regarding Cowed
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:04:54 pm »

Cookies 'n no.

I've already had confirmation from Oasis and Smash that they wouldn't like Cowed to come back, as I had a similar idea, months ago, and I gave it up when I wouldn't get to any agreement with Oasis and Smash, as I respect them both too much. Cowed was labled as a rip just before Data quit, that's one of the reasons Data quit, and if it were to come back, it is destined to always be labled as a rip and not show up on the hub.

None of the previous developers would want to help either, as I don't have the time, Willem doesn't either, I don't think, and most of the others have either quit BYOND or just can't be assed with Cowed.
hi.

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24:11 pm »

Cookies 'n no.

I've already had confirmation from Oasis and Smash that they wouldn't like Cowed to come back, as I had a similar idea, months ago, and I gave it up when I wouldn't get to any agreement with Oasis and Smash, as I respect them both too much. Cowed was labled as a rip just before Data quit, that's one of the reasons Data quit, and if it were to come back, it is destined to always be labled as a rip and not show up on the hub.

None of the previous developers would want to help either, as I don't have the time, Willem doesn't either, I don't think, and most of the others have either quit BYOND or just can't be assed with Cowed.
Willem says he is busy, but I have a feeling is rather interested.

I plan to change "Cowed" as it appears in the eyes of people. It may be a rip of Cow RP, but it is one that added a few odd qualities that made me favour it over Cow RP. I intend to create a community that is worth having, and if it fails, then I've shamed myself. I won't give up on Cowed, because no matter how much of a failure it may be, it still means a lot to me. Of course, I won't do much without the permission of Gary, I just need the source and I'll work from that.

I don't plan on making the server private, if I make it. I plan it to be public and free for everyone to play around in. I'll change everything that belongs to Cow RP, if I must, but the cows made it very interesting, so I hope I have the support of more then just Bay12.
Silence will fall.
It fears the obnoxious.

Maxdax222

• Bay Watcher
  • Hallo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »

It can't be made public unless most of the coding is changed, all of the icons are changed and the names of the things are changed, IE, you do what Android Data was going to do before, and turn it into humans and change the name, etc etc. It is forced to be private unless these things are changed, so it'd be much simpler to just make a new game from scratch, as you wouldn't get much hassle by doing so.
hi.

SmashTiger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »

Cookies 'n no.

Willem says he is busy, but I have a feeling is rather interested.

I plan to change "Cowed" as it appears in the eyes of people. It may be a rip of Cow RP, but it is one that added a few odd qualities that made me favour it over Cow RP. I intend to create a community that is worth having, and if it fails, then I've shamed myself. I won't give up on Cowed, because no matter how much of a failure it may be, it still means a lot to me. Of course, I won't do much without the permission of Gary, I just need the source and I'll work from that.

I don't plan on making the server private, if I make it. I plan it to be public and free for everyone to play around in. I'll change everything that belongs to Cow RP, if I must, but the cows made it very interesting, so I hope I have the support of more then just Bay12.

The issue is Oasis will never give you permission, it is the one black smudge on his record and he wishes it went away. You can never be a respected developer by helping a rip and that is SOMETHING that he will never be able to get rid of.

Also the server has to be private, there is no changing that. And marketing to get even 10 players is probably not worth it. But if you want to waste hours on a project that can go nowhere, be my guest.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:37:35 pm »

It can't be made public unless most of the coding is changed, all of the icons are changed and the names of the things are changed, IE, you do what Android Data was going to do before, and turn it into humans and change the name, etc etc. It is forced to be private unless these things are changed, so it'd be much simpler to just make a new game from scratch, as you wouldn't get much hassle by doing so.
In this case, what about a Dwarf RP?

SmashTiger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:40:21 pm »

In this case, what about a Dwarf RP?

That would work. But like he said, it would be less hassle to make it ground-up. A game like CRP only takes around a week.

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »

Still pissed at Data for not continuing Regalia...

Yeah, I get that. Thus I am here at Bay12, looking for any developers who may be able to do just that. I, however, doubt that my idea is to make a whole new game. The idea is to bring Cowed back up for those who preferred Cowed over Cow RP. It gives them choice. The choice I wish I could make, right now, because I don't particularly like the mechanics of Cow RP, I guess you could say, but I did like the ones found in Cowed.

And @SmashTiger
I understand it is a "black mark" on Oasis's record, but I want to change Cowed so it seems less of a failure, and more of a choice. I just wish that Data had kept his tongue and his temper (As if...) and continued to work on Regalia, then I would be quite joyous with that, but as Willem said, the cows made Cowed unique. So I need to figure out something. :D
Silence will fall.
It fears the obnoxious.

SmashTiger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:45:41 pm »

Still pissed at Data for not continuing Regalia...

Yeah, I get that. Thus I am here at Bay12, looking for any developers who may be able to do just that. I, however, doubt that my idea is to make a whole new game. The idea is to bring Cowed back up for those who preferred Cowed over Cow RP. It gives them choice. The choice I wish I could make, right now, because I don't particularly like the mechanics of Cow RP, I guess you could say, but I did like the ones found in Cowed.

And @SmashTiger
I understand it is a "black mark" on Oasis's record, but I want to change Cowed so it seems less of a failure, and more of a choice. I just wish that Data had kept his tongue and his temper (As if...) and continued to work on Regalia, then I would be quite joyous with that, but as Willem said, the cows made Cowed unique. So I need to figure out something. :D

Rip owners/developers gain nothing remember that. It always seem they are doing it for power instead of just suggesting the few mechanical changes to the original.

And on top of that with the new policy, rips are limited to maybe 5 players at a time.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 12:47:22 pm »

Oh, hello. I know you, person. Data quit..again?  ???

I unfortunately do not have access to a computer that can run BYOND games, or I'd love to help out! I'll keep an eye on this, though. I love Cowed!

Didn't Data release the Cowed source one of the times he quit? Why can't you just use that and build up from it? It seems like I'm missing something, not really sure as I haven't paid attention to Cowed much in...forever.

EDIT: Oh, so BYOND hides things labeled as 'rips' now? That's...quite interesting. And sucky, in Cowed's case. Not much you could do besides remake it, however, since despite all of its changes "Cowed" is very close to "Cow RP", it's very unlikely that anyone will take off the 'ripped' status.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:50:26 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:11 pm »

Oh, hello. I know you, person. Data quit..again?  ???

I unfortunately do not have access to a computer that can run BYOND games, or I'd love to help out! I'll keep an eye on this, though. I love Cowed!

Didn't Data release the Cowed source one of the times he quit? Why can't you just use that and build up from it? It seems like I'm missing something, not really sure as I haven't paid attention to Cowed much in...forever.
He did, but the actual file was deleted/removed by him. The only person that has a proper source (and apparently with all bugs fixed) is Max. So my first gruelling task is to get him to give me the most recent source. It'll be difficult to do so. Willem does have 8.3, so I may just get that if I can't get the recent one off of Max, but 8.3 is pretty well behind a very nice update.
Silence will fall.
It fears the obnoxious.

Pages: [1] 2 3