Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: News regarding Cowed  (Read 3814 times)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Re: News regarding Cowed
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »

You're only ever going to get drama if you rehost the old Cowed.
Learn how to code with BYOND (which is incredibly easy) and make your own game (which doesn't look that hard from what I've seen of Cowed.)

Show people that you're in it for the long haul. If you just take what Data left behind and haphazardly shoehorn it into what you want it to be with no knowledge of coding or project development, then this will die very, very early, and will attract lots and lots of drama from people that were involved in CRP/Cowed.

I know you'll probably ready this and go "fuck that noise", but honestly, you're only going to stir a lot of shit if you try and dig Cowed up again. It'll be a much better and more rewarding experience if you learn to develop something for yourself, and build a community around a project that you can truly call your own.

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
  • Cowed's Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »

You're only ever going to get drama if you rehost the old Cowed.
Learn how to code with BYOND (which is incredibly easy) and make your own game (which doesn't look that hard from what I've seen of Cowed.)

Show people that you're in it for the long haul. If you just take what Data left behind and haphazardly shoehorn it into what you want it to be with no knowledge of coding or project development, then this will die very, very early, and will attract lots and lots of drama from people that were involved in CRP/Cowed.

I know you'll probably ready this and go "fuck that noise", but honestly, you're only going to stir a lot of shit if you try and dig Cowed up again. It'll be a much better and more rewarding experience if you learn to develop something for yourself, and build a community around a project that you can truly call your own.
    Yes, you are correct. However, as easy as it may seem for some to learn to code, it's next to impossible for me. And I want to start my own community and game of my own with it's own principles and well thought out RP areas, but I lack quite a bit of knowledge to do just that.

It isn't all for my own gain. There are multiple people (As much as it may be a given, they are mostly idiots) that want Cowed and prefer it over Cow RP. I don't know why, since Cow RP is essentially the same (awesome) game, without a few perks, of course. I try to play it and forget my urge to play Cowed, but it just makes me want to continue with bringing it back.
Silence will fall.
It falls on the weak-minded
It fears the obnoxious.

I wear a fez, now. Fezzes are cool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »

I thought, given that Cowed hasn't been featured here a lot, that I'd get a description of what in the world Cowed even is. (as fearful it is about some sort of Animal Farm-esk plot)

So in light of that I shall make up the gameplay of Cowed

In Cowed you all play different types of cow, one of which has the milk of life capable of bringing the dead back to life. However several of the players also play Wolves, who can dress up like cows if they slay one, and farmers who have shotguns.

The key is to gain political influence among all the other sects of animals as well as using decoys in order to keep the blessed cow safe.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:06:45 pm by Neonivek »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »

Yes, you are correct. However, as easy as it may seem for some to learn to code, it's next to impossible for me.

Why?

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 01:11:07 pm »

Yes, you are correct. However, as easy as it may seem for some to learn to code, it's next to impossible for me.

Why?
For the same reason I can't learn any other language. Impatience/Attention-span = nil/0.

I thought, given that Cowed hasn't been featured here a lot, that I'd get a description of what in the world Cowed even is. (as fearful it is about some sort of Animal Farm-esk plot)

In Cowed you all play different types of cow, one of which has the milk of life capable of bringing the dead back to life. However several of the players also play Wolves, who can dress up like cows if they slay one, and farmers who have shotguns.

The key is to gain political influence among all the other sects of animals as well as using decoys in order to keep the blessed cow safe.
No, no...
Cowed is a role-playing game in which you, the player, take on the role as a person in a 15th century-esque kingdom by the name of "Bovinia" You can choose to be a King, ArchDuke, Royal Guard, Guard, Peasant (Different classes for peasants including fisherman, gatherer, all with their own perks.) Your icon looks like a cow for multiple reasons.
A) Easier to see and icon clothes for the icon
B) It's hilarious and funny when you start munching down on beef. Cannibal.
C) Because we can.

But you do not RP as a cow, you RP as a human.

Silence will fall.
It fears the obnoxious.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 01:13:01 pm »

Cowed is a BYOND game (like Space Station 13) that is basically a medieval roleplaying game. The round starts, everyone has their jobs, and they go about their business, roleplaying. They are people, but they are skinned to be cows for some unknown reason.

Programming is very difficult for almost anyone to pick up. It takes time to learn and practice to become good at it, but it's worth it in the end!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 01:16:54 pm »

Why?
For the same reason I can't learn any other language. Impatience/Attention-span = nil/0.
So you don't want to do it because you're lazy? Then how can you expect to revive an entire community and keep a game afloat?

Now I'm a little bit confused about your motivations.
Do you want to start a new project and build a game that you can have a community around, or do you want to ask other people who have taken the time to learn how to code in BYOND (which is horrifically easy) to do all the work for you so you can play Cowed again?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 01:19:13 pm »

He's right, BYOND is relatively easy, barely a step up from Scratch and Alice (those GUI coding thingies where you drag building blocks into the code to do things).

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 01:22:08 pm »

Why?
So you don't want to do it because you're lazy? Then how can you expect to revive an entire community and keep a game afloat?

Now I'm a little bit confused about your motivations.
Do you want to start a new project and build a game that you can have a community around, or do you want to ask other people who have taken the time to learn how to code in BYOND (which is horrifically easy) to do all the work for you so you can play Cowed again?
Good question. I will have to figure that out for myself, as I just posted this thread in an effort to see who would care if Cowed was brought back. I, personally, want to play it once more with a generally awesome community, but I do want to start anew so I can create a game that fits my ideas and prospects on a proper RP game. I just get confused easily when trying to learn programming or coding, and I end up very frustrated.

I hate this piece of shit replacement computer. It keeps making everything so hard to do. D=
Silence will fall.
It fears the obnoxious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 02:09:24 pm »

So everyone plays as humans who happen to look like cows...

And what exactly is the goal?

In light of not knowing I shall make it up!

The game takes place in the advent of the French revolution, some royals are tasked with stopping the revolution while others are tasked with aiding it. Except for the king or queen as well as the guards who are always against the peasantry. The goal is for the royals to use cunning and subterfuge while the peasantry try hard against a hopeless battle trying not to slay the royals who are absolutely nessisary for their success.

This also features a mode where one peasant plays Zoro while all the others do not. The goal is instead switched where the royals job is to stop Zoro while the peasants are there to help Zoro. One royal is tasked with aiding the zoro.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 02:11:37 pm »

So everyone plays as humans who happen to look like cows...

And what exactly is the goal?

In light of not knowing I shall make it up!

The game takes place in the advent of the French revolution, some royals are tasked with stopping the revolution while others are tasked with aiding it. Except for the king or queen as well as the guards who are always against the peasantry. The goal is for the royals to use cunning and subterfuge while the peasantry try hard against a hopeless battle trying not to slay the royals who are absolutely nessisary for their success.

This also features a mode where one peasant plays Zoro while all the others do not. The goal is instead switched where the royals job is to stop Zoro while the peasants are there to help Zoro. One royal is tasked with aiding the zoro.
The goal is to have fun and roleplay. There is no real goal, although I think at one point Data was looking to add some game modes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »

I can sort of see why the game sort of... went away.

Oooh a Plague mode! :P

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »

I can sort of see why the game sort of... went away.

Oooh a Plague mode! :P
The game died because the main person who kept it running ragequit, actually, and now because of the whole BYOND policy on rips thing that seems to have gone down. It had a decent playerbase, at least when I could still use BYOND and play.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 02:36:57 pm »

So... did things happen in this game?

Or is it basically Renaisance Fair, after hours, the game?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:37 pm »

It really seems like BYOND = instant drama. I am you guys will blame the community, but you guys always blame the community.

Anyways, what we have here is a full failure. We have someone who wants a game, but doesn't know how to code. This is par for the course, these requests happen all the time.

Add to that the fact that we have instant drama. Someone rage quit? Developers consider it a black smudge? The game is an RIP (what ever the junk that means)? People will be mad if you move forward?

Next you admit to the fact that you are lazy and have no attention span yet somehow you are going to manage the project?

Finally, you are asking for developers without describing the game or providing any links to describe the game.

So lets recap. For someone to read this and want to do development work on it they would have to A) accept the fact that they are developing a game for someone who is self proclaimed "too lazy/too low attention span" to learn to program, B) Follow your design structure, C) Accept the fact that they are getting into a high drama project, and D) know what the hell Cowed is.

Let's face it; this will never happen. The only way you will ever get this project off the ground is to learn on your own. Spend a couple of weeks learning BYOND and come back with part of a project. Then see if someone will help.
Pages: 1 [2] 3