Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The enemy among us  (Read 1185 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
The enemy among us
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:05:34 am »

hearing about the possibilities of werewolves, vampires, and suspicion makes me wonder about other sorts of enemies that might be ruled by suspicion, enemies that in some way act like normal dwarves until you or your dwarves start to notice some alarming patterns...

Dissenter/Rabble-Rouser: A dwarf that provokes otherwise happy dwarves to tantrum, strike (take breaks en-masse) or bother your nobles.  A rabble-rouser might have demands viewable on z-thoughts and stop rabble-rousing if these are met (such as private room, work, etc), or nobles who grow suspicious enough might track down the actual problem dwarf and have him punished.  Rabble-rousers might arrive as migrants, or might be fortress natives who enter the status due to a specific long-standing bad thought

Succubus/Incubus: A creature that arrives at your fortress appearing to be a regular dwarf migrant.  The foocubus obtains relationships faster than normal, and tends to slack off work in order to socialize.  When the foocubus obtains a lover, that dwarf's card is marked, and about when their relationship would be sufficiently developed to marry, the partner dies.  Unlike normal dwarves, the foocubus forgets its lover-victim immediately and starts forming new relationships.  Dwarves who become suspicious (and to a lesser extent those with suspicious friends) will avoid the creature and enough suspicion will result in it being unmasked and trying to flee the fortress like any skulking enemy that's been seen.

Doppleganger: A creature that could enter the fort looking like anything, when it finds itself alone with a dwarf or domestic animal, it will attempt to kill its victim, and then take the victim's place.  If successful, dwarves won't notice the difference or get bad thoughts from the original dying, at least until the doppleganger changes shape again.  A doppleganger has no particular goals or targets, it just, like most things, does not like you and has a unique way of showing it.  A doppleganger might be noticed transforming, or its activities might arouse suspicion.

Saboteur: A dwarf turned against its kind (perhaps the result of goblin baby-snatching?) the Saboteur acts like an ordinary dwarf, except he or she will occasionally pull levers at random or deconstruct traps.  These activities are suspicious of course, and dwarves who witness the Saboteur might have an inkling that dwarf is up to no good.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: The enemy among us
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:54:52 am »

Idea is great. I did suggest the saboteur before but this is different. It sounds a bit alien-like but it is interesting...And scary.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:01:51 pm »

Random trivia: the gender-neutral form for succubus is "Nightmare"

Anyway, I like the idea. More Fun is always good.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:20:37 pm »

sez 'oo? :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »

The Doppelganger sounds like the monster from The Thing. That would be amazing to have in a fortress, turning dwarves against one another as more and more are devoured silently.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:26:51 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »

The Doppelganger sounds like the monster from The Thing. That would be amazing to have in a fortress, turning dwarves against one another as more and more are devoured silently.
YESSS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »

It was where the term came from. Mare meant demon; therefore, a nightmare is a demon that comes in the night.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »

It was where the term came from. Mare meant demon; therefore, a nightmare is a demon that comes in the night.
The ones in suggestion come with migration  ;) And the word nightmare doesn't reflect their suggested behavior well despite being etymologically/historically correct. Guess we have same linguistic problem here as with bronze colossi. By the way, in devlogs Toady mentions working on some 'stalkers' which is vague enough to cover cubuses and dopplegangers, so we may very well get them this (year?).

I also recommend bringing out of the deep the megathread anymatar mentioned.

And the last one:
A dwarf that provokes otherwise happy dwarves to tantrum, strike (take breaks en-masse) or bother your nobles. 
-nobles who grow suspicious enough might track down the actual problem dwarf and have him punished. 
-Rabble-rousers might arrive as migrants, or might be fortress natives who enter the status due to a specific long-standing bad thought
Yay for dwarven revolutionaries! These filthy nobles has been oppressing the common workers for too long! Power to the people!  :D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »

Vote for El Presidente! ;D
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 10:19:11 am »

Oh I see. I didn't quite catch what you meant. You meant 'nightmare' as a catch-all term that encompasses both incubus and succubus.

That said though, I've never heard of 'mare' having meant demon in any language. I know it as sea, a female horse and an archaic term for a story.  :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.