Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pastures vs Ambushes  (Read 2743 times)

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastures vs Ambushes
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:26:35 pm »

So I had all of the grazing animals pastured outside of my fortress. An ambush appears and the goblins go to town and kill at least ten Dwarves' favorite pets. What could be done to prevent this sort of nonsense? :[

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastures vs Ambushes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:31:03 pm »

Wall in your pastures, or build them underground and let the grazing animals eat moss and fungus.  I tend to do the former since IMO the moss and fungus doesn't quite grow fast enough.  And by doing wall/ditch I also get a woodlot and better control of the area in proximity to my fort.

Other options involve getting rid of the pets and livestock and thus not need pastures.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:31:52 pm »

Fence in your pastured animals with constructed walls?
Pasture your animals in the caverns, where there is plenty of lichens and moss to eat?
Kill the goblins before they kill your pets?
Kill the pets before the goblins have a chance to?

There are many options available to you, though I'm sure there's one I'm leaving out...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38:01 pm »

Fence in your pastured animals with constructed walls?
Pasture your animals in the caverns, where there is plenty of lichens and moss to eat?
Kill the goblins before they kill your pets?
Kill the pets before the goblins have a chance to?

There are many options available to you, though I'm sure there's one I'm leaving out...

You forgot MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 11:51:35 pm »

The most obvious solution would be "don't pasture your animals outside" while the less obvious and more productive solution is "pasture your animals outside".  Now that they're dead, they can't die again and mood is stable!

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:03:48 am »

I'm sure it'll come up again. -_- I'm building an animal bunker with a drawbridge door linked to my first drawbridge so when I lockdown my fort the pasture will get locked down too. Hopefully I catapult a couple of these damn animals when it happens though.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:41 am »

I lose a lot of animals every siege, but as long as you have a breeding pair, you should be fine long term.
Oh, and I really like your gif!
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:43:44 am »

I keep trying to figure out what the gif is from...

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:53:56 am »

My pasture (the only grassy area) is about three world-map squares away from my fortress (stuck to the side of a desert volcano).

I've raised some walls up around the pasture, and some fortifications on one side to allow siegers to burn ammo.  I'm currently trying to get a trap-filled entrance corridor in place before the sieges arrive, and plan to eventually replace it with a raised, enclosed bridge which will be both safe and fast to pathfind through.

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:51:12 am »

I keep trying to figure out what the gif is from...

There ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lHNCiiXGo&feature=related
Flight of the conchords - Frodo, don't wear the ring (the scene in the gif is around 2:15)
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:01:25 am »

Try taming giant scorpions. I really wanna see them invade your pasture THEN.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 03:16:15 am »

I tried that recently. You'd be surprised how few trolls they take down before being pounded/shot into the ground.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 04:44:34 am »

i usually wind up bringing a metric ton of war-beasts on embark, as well as breeding pairs (or at least females) of the various animals i want to start collecting resources from and before i move everything underground, set up rings of pastures

the larger outer section is always full of war-beasts, rhinos, elephants, giraffes, polar bears, grizzly bears, giant cats, giant spiders, giant birds. basically, if it's war trained, it's on the outside. the inner 'rings' wind up carrying the egg layers with the actual grazers towards the  center, and any sentients i may have (gremlins, gorlaks, even ogres or trolls) are in the safe point in the very center.

after all this is set up, i start digging large rooms in the soil levels, then breach a cavern and, once there's enough fungus in those rooms, all the grazers get moved down (egg layers and non eaters are moved much, much earlier)

with this setup, snatchers and even early ambushes decide to attack the war-beasts and often get ripped apart quickly. usually before my military can even arrive

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 02:12:43 pm »

I tried that recently. You'd be surprised how few trolls they take down before being pounded/shot into the ground.
They will be great when we finally get mounts........... (Although I imagine most dwarf civs will mount their knights on dogs...........)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:44 pm »

I'm mounting cats.  Those things kill forts, surely they'll do good against goblins, right?
Pages: [1] 2