Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fatal Error when attempting to play  (Read 616 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fatal Error when attempting to play
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:38:25 am »

Recently when I try to play DF the following error will come up:
Code: [Select]
FATAL ERROR
Main index file missing/corrupted. The file "index" must be in the "data" folder. Make sure DF decompressed into its folders properly.

As far as I can tell, the index file is present and completely fine. The error will either appear before DF starts up or, more commonly, when it gets to the selection screen for continuing a saved game. Oddly enough if the game actually manages to start I can still create new worlds and start new games just fine, it's just when I try to continue.

So far three separate DF folders have been corrupted with this error, all of which were working fine before. It only started happening within the past week or so. Strangely, the first folder that was corrupted appears to have "gotten better" because I can continue games on it again.

Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fatal Error when attempting to play
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:26:13 pm »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:31:08 pm »

That doesn't seem to be the same problem. Running as administrator doesn't help.

Two things that could be related:
-I was using a map generated in df_31_01 in two of the corrupted files, but not the third.
-A little while before this started happening my antivirus noticed some malware in dfhack so I deleted it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:34:15 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:10:40 am »

That doesn't seem to be the same problem. Running as administrator doesn't help.

Two things that could be related:
-I was using a map generated in df_31_01 in two of the corrupted files, but not the third.
-A little while before this started happening my antivirus noticed some malware in dfhack so I deleted it.
I'm not entirely sure what caused your saves to glitch up, but I know that DF hack gives a false positive on some virus software. Just ignore it when it tells you DF hack is a virus.