Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Age... growing old is so saddening  (Read 1714 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age... growing old is so saddening
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

Around July of last year for me.

Although, I tried it sometime in 2006 or 2005, but my attention span was a lot shorter then so I couldn't get into it. :P

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

A few years ago i saw liberal crime squad on home of the underdogs... thought it was kinda nice and looked what the programmer was up to. It was the old amarok god of blood game, which was in 3d with the many bodyparts etc.... completely unplayable. maybe a few years (?) later i found LCS on my harddisk and looked if the developer updated it, then i found dwarf fortress as the old 2d version... played it a while obsessively but got bored because every fortress turned out the same.

Checked back a few months later and found the 3d version. Hooked again, till now. Can't play that much because I lack the time now through sadly. Toady inspired me to my own project which is running basically since 2 years and is based on an RPG system which I developed over the course of the time after FUDGE (with inspiration from some mechanics in scifi GRUPS and other assorted systems) . Current incarnation is written in C# and uses SDL&OpenGL. Maybe I'll release someday.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

A secret I will share is once you hit 18, the years start coming and it doesn't stop.  You'll blink and have a gray hair and think wait I am too young to be old!

Then you'll get a house and yell at kids to get off your lawn.

All of the liberals will turn into conservatives.

dogs and cats will live together! MASS HYSTERIA!

igless

Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>A secret I will share is once you hit 18, the years start coming and it doesn't stop.  You'll blink and have a gray hair and think wait I am too young to be old!</STRONG>

Heh, they've been coming like that since i was a little kid. Blink - school, blink - junior high, blink - high school, blink - university, blink - ...

Anyways, I'm here since last spring.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Digger ]

urrently digging fortress #9.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

I think a major difference is that, here in the US at least, a kid in the summer essentially as such a long time off it can get boring.

Then as an adult you don't GET a summer off.  You get a puny 2 weeks to take whenever.  And your personality is pretty much set, and you have stopped growing, and you are pretty much static in your environment and the sense of wonder diminishes..

and then you notice all the younger people, kids, growing up--quickly--compared to your staying about the same (until your friends have kids or start losing hair and whatnot).

Then you realize you're too young to be that old!  Then later you realize how stupid you were to worry about being old back then, because you're even older now!

Then you realize that the first babies in your fortress are now actually champion hammerdwarves.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Hyperturtle ]

igless

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>I think a major difference is that, here in the US at least, a kid in the summer essentially as such a long time off it can get boring.

Then as an adult you don't GET a summer off.  You get a puny 2 weeks to take whenever.  And your personality is pretty much set, and you have stopped growing, and you are pretty much static in your environment and the sense of wonder diminishes..

and then you notice all the younger people, kids, growing up--quickly--compared to your staying about the same (until your friends have kids or start losing hair and whatnot).

Then you realize you're too young to be that old!  Then later you realize how stupid you were to worry about being old back then, because you're even older now!

Then you realize that the first babies in your fortress are now actually champion hammerdwarves.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Hyperturtle ]</STRONG>

wow, you're old.

Necronopticous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Primary Colors
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Unfortunately I only discovered Toady and his magnum opus about a year and a half ago, due to a short blog post about it. Probably the best find of my gaming life.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:59:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

Well, I had a friend who started losing hair when he was 17  :)

And when I first got into online (subscription based) gaming, I had half a year just vaporize.  I'd wake up, go to work, come home, play game, etc until *ding* whoa wait its winter?  But it was just May!  How can this be!

So I cancelled...

Anyway probably around 12 years of age I am guessing you pretty much determine the personality type you want to be.  If you drift into goth or heavy metal or goa or pop or whatever you like, then you start to identify with that crowd!

And of course in forums like this you get to be part of the dwarf crowd..

Anyway I am not THAT old... But I'll tell you what, when I was little I thought that when I was 25 I would have all the answers!  Mom and dad always knew what to do!  I now suspect they were faking it the entire time, just to put up a good image!  

One of the most memorable moments of my youth was realizing that older people are no different than a younger person.  My great-grandmother was sitting talking to my mom, and she was saying how she wakes up in the morning and mentally feels no different than when she was 20.  But at the time she was 85ish, and felt it, and needed lots of medication because her tear ducts stopped working and she wasn't making enough saliva, her eyesight was poor and needed help getting around.  

So when she looked in the mirror, or her hands.. she knew she wasn't 20 anymore.  But mentally she felt no difference at all.  So with that in mind.. I try to make an effort in my life to do things I otherwise might not be able to do then, as I may live to regret not having taken certain chances or risks.  When you can't do it anymore or if you've convinced yourself you can't, that's when you're old!  At least in that respect.

igless

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Ouch, you're a philosopher who makes people like me to think about things they know but pretend not to know/understand...
The whole life I live in "oriental" philosophy - in the current day.
After I read your words I suddenly became sad. DUnno why. But I believe even if I make thousand promises about my life now, I will wake up the next morning without any reminiscence about it...
"Sad but true" (C) Metallica (?rly? - long time ago)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

I haven't even spent more than one night on 3d... Haven't had time, and it feels like there's an update every time I open my eyes.

I did get some progress done, and I kinda got a taste for what 3d is like. I'll get back to it some time.

I'm starting to feel old, but only in the sense that I'm truely starting to shape my life. I actually have tangible goals with little uncertainty. Ha, and I've finally secured a positive financial flow... Don't go to university. It's evil. (That's just my opinion though)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

I've been playing it about half a year, I'll be playing my entire life, I'm sure of it.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

I've been playing maybe a year, on and off (which will become much more steady with the mac version, holycrapcantwait)... but I always have visions of me covered in liver spots, kept busy with nothing but a bustling fortress of happy dwarves.  :D

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

quote:
I believe I lost my girlfirend beacuse of DF... LOL

My condolences.

I'm playing DF to keep my mind off my gf, who's been away on business since mid-November.  I miss her terribly, not that DF isn't fun and all, but ... I wish she'd hurry back.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

a few weeks before it went 3d possibly a month and a bit, by the time i got used to it and had my first serious fort (with some nobles and magma smelting) 3d got released. My earliest fort had everyone die because they had no skills and i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt let me build beds (I didnt know you had to build em first) in the end i just watched as they got butchered by a heard of elephants.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3