Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Ashen Bulwark  (Read 583 times)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
The Ashen Bulwark
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:28:35 am »

Going to try my hand at a story thread, after a great read in Legends for my new world.  How do these usually go?

World: Sil Tholest, the Plane of Cyclones

Backdrop: In the year 9, Vucar Faithfulpage became the Queen of Dalkamreg, The Lean Glove.  Her reign was was but 4 years.  In the winter of the year 13, Queen Vucar was kidnapped and imprisoned by Sath Murkumbras, a male twilight freak.  One of the first of his kind, Sath Murkumbras was a large, eyeless humanoid with gray, waxy skin and three short tails.  He is why you fear the night.  That winter, Sath transformed the Queen of the Lean Glove into a twilight freak mate.  Her once beautiful aquamarine eyes fell out.  Her peach colored skin turned waxy.  She gave birth to Sath Murkumbras's first son, Nidela Shadeash, the Tomb of Ghosts.  Seizing upon an opportunity, Vucar fled Sath's imprisonment in the year 15, and tried to return home to Dalkamreg.  She was spurned, and for good reason.  The evil of the twilight freaks suffused her very being.  The bloodlust made it difficult for to be near other living things.  She roamed the land far and wide, her monstrous form and twisted soul guaranteeing a steady supply of enemies.

In the year 241, she was spotted in the Glowing Hills, perilously close to Dalkamreg.  The hills have been more and more dangerous these past years, kings and queens coming and going on a yearly basis.  Still, Vucar has never attacked Dalkamreg.  And the goblins in the area have been suspiciously inactive, an occasional torn limb or worn skeleton being the only sign of them.  The Queen of Dalkamreg, Olin Netchucked, has decided this matter is worth investigating.  If the old Queen is out there, and if she is willing to aid Dalkamreg keep the other beasts at bay...

In the first part of the year 251, Ivy Zutashnil sets out at the head of an expedition, The Silvery Glimmer of Dawn, to forge a facility in the hills and try to make contact with Dalkemreg's fallen Queen.  They will need to create a facility that is secure from the outside, to keep the many dangerous beasts of the area out, but also one that is safe from the inside, in case there truly is no hope for Dalkamreg's fallen Queen.

The Embark Location
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This game will be played using Lazy Newb pack, for obvious reasons relating to my laziness and newbosity.

I have turned cave-ins and aquifers OFF.  Everything else is ON.  I will be using Ironhand's wonderful graphics pack.

Tomorrow, we Strike the Earth!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:38:24 am by Iton Ibrukrithzam »
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ashen Bulwark
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:21:43 pm »

Did you know what Vucar looked like as a dwarf, or was that a guess?

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:33 pm »

A guess.  Or artistic license, rather.  Her description in legends mode is eternally that of a twilight freak.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 03:01:14 am »

Excerpt from the personal journal of Ustuth Kubukluzat, liason from Queen Olin Netchucked to Ibrukrithzam, the Ashen Bulwark.

Timber 22, year 251:

Today I have arrived at Ibrukrithzam, and I must say, I am concerned.  The facility appears ill-guarded.  The expedition leader, Ivy Zutashnil, assures me that her facility is equipped with an underground well and farm, and could easily seal the gates and outlast a siege, but I remain unconvinced.  I have urged her to take a more active defense.

Still, I am impressed with the progress they have made in this short time.  Many spacious rooms lined in many types of beautiful stone make up their facility.  Simple accommodations hold their numbers for now, but more ample rooms are already hollowed out.  No doubt the volunteers that pestered the Queen to bolster their numbers have been helping greatly. 

Moonstone 3, year 251:
Zenar Kritshenk, the merchant captain who I journeyed with, is quite displeased.  He hides it well, but Ivy has had little to trade.  Some rough gems, in exchange for some trinkets.  I asked Zenar what he expected from such a new colony, but he only shook his head.  I think I shall have to arrange for a different merchant next year, one with more patience.

Moonstone 15, year 251: Ah, today I finally got a moment to talk to Ivy about next year's trading!  She has been very busy, as a good dwarf should be.  She seemed to think her facility was fairly self-sufficient, but considering I will be returning next year with a caravan just the same, she took my suggestion and asked for some weapons and steel.  It eases my nerves to hear this. 

Moonstone 17, year 251: Today we are on the road back to the mountainhomes.  All in all, I am pleased with Ibrukrithzam, I just hope they don't fall prey to beasts in the coming year...