Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombies and fortress life in general.  (Read 2845 times)

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
Zombies and fortress life in general.
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:54:10 am »

So.. lets say one of your dwarves somehow becomes a necromancer..  (if this is at all possible, i'm not exactly sure.. but lets theorize)  ..and starts reanimating corpses in your fortress.
He controls them,  so now you have a small shambling army to guard the outer reaches of your fortress as a first line of defense. 
...or as further entertainment for your elf concentration happy camps.

Do you think this would affect dwarf morale?
He has been happy lately.  He has admired a fine door lately.  He has been depressed by the shuffling corpse of his brother lately...
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies and fortress life in general.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:55:56 am »

I was thinking that, perhaps it would be impossible in Fortress Mode.
However, if you captured a Necromancer, and then dropped him whatever bodies happened to be lyin' around...
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 01:57:21 am »

However, if you captured a Necromancer, and then dropped him whatever bodies happened to be lyin' around...

And then unleashed them on the goblins....
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:58:53 am »

And then unleashed them on the goblins....

Weaponizing things before they're even implemented into the game.
I love you guys sometimes.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 02:09:46 am »

Quote from: Toady
Today I made a debug button that converted every dwarf but the first into a zombie that is also the first dwarf's child to test out the various negative thoughts from before.
Seems there's been some work done about "my child's corpse is attacking me" negative thoughts.  So it'll probably be similar to "endured the decay of a friend" but something like "endured the reanimation of a friend" or such.  I do look forward to the Science that shall be performed when necromancers are captured and used to atrocities, I mean... no wait, yeah, atrocities.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 02:12:19 am »

No, what you really mean is, reanimate gore-fests. Bring about reanimated fleshbags, whose souls have been absorbed into the very essence of their master, allowing them infinite POWER! POWER WHICH CAN STRIKE DOWN THEIR FOES, AND CAUSE ARMOK AND HIS FOUR HOLY BEARDS TO TREMBLE! POWER WHICH CAN DWARF THE GREAT MONSTROSITIES OF HELL! POWER WHICH CAN bring back Urist Mcdeads left false rib. As a false-rib snake.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:55:37 am »

No, what you really mean is, reanimate gore-fests. Bring about reanimated fleshbags, whose souls have been absorbed into the very essence of their master, allowing them infinite POWER! POWER WHICH CAN STRIKE DOWN THEIR FOES, AND CAUSE ARMOK AND HIS FOUR HOLY BEARDS TO TREMBLE! POWER WHICH CAN DWARF THE GREAT MONSTROSITIES OF HELL! POWER WHICH CAN bring back Urist Mcdeads left false rib. As a false-rib snake.

Armok: *20 sieges and the carnival circus with FB with deadly dust*
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 03:04:26 am »

He has been happy lately.  He ate in a fine dining room recently.  He admired a masterful zombie lately.  He has complained about the nasty water recently.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:51:41 am »

"Oh no, mister unarmed elf merchant, please don't make me train on you again!"

I could just picture a gang of dwarves just hanging around the corpse pile, with a necromancer chained to the floor constantly reanimating the unarmoured elf-merchants and hoary marmots over and over while the big, burly militia kill them over and over for lots of experience.

This might be the next danger room.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:01:14 am »

I could just picture a gang of dwarves just hanging around the corpse pile, with a necromancer chained to the floor constantly reanimating the unarmoured elf-merchants and hoary marmots over and over while the big, burly militia kill them over and over for lots of experience.

That's actually a really good idea...

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:14 am »

I had a fort that was killed by a veritable wave of zombie tigerfish in my first attempt at colonizing a sinister area :(
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:27:33 am »

Oh my god... this is way better its not as op and way more fun.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 03:04:32 pm »

ASDAA
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:36:57 am by Benedict Hardy »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »

Well, the idea was that Necromancers would just keep raising dead things until he was killed.
No, the problem I see is that eventually, the Dwarf will have hacked it into so many pieces, he'll be fighting 20 SMALL zombies, and not 1 AVERAGE zombie.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 03:34:54 pm »

The easiest way to test this will be to have an Adventurer steal a book or tablet and drop it off at a site before switching over to Fortress Mode and embarking on it. If Reader is a skill that can be embarked with, you could just spend a few points in it and see if the dwarf does anything with it.

Otherwise, a way of training reading will have to be added in via a reaction or weapon. 
Pages: [1] 2