Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288741 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4410 on: January 03, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »

What someone else (Muz? I think?) said in life advice: prove your worth, negotiate afterwards your working conditions, and if they don't play ball, hit the road. That's my view of the matter nowadays. Accepting stuff like (as a friend did) signing up for a 50% contract and end up doing more like 150% for the same pay is self-destructive. If you start bending over even dwarves will take a turn at your butt.

That takes unions to be effective, and those have been so marginalized throughout most of America.  Otherwise, you're just giving someone else a shitty job.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: January 19, 2014, 12:26:31 pm »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-12/meet-smart-restaurant-minimum-wage-crushing-burger-flipping-robot

This is the most offensive take on the robot-burger making machine ever. I don't know if Poe's law is at work (EDIT: the site seems completely serious about this), but the writer blames workers for being replaced by burger robots because humans:

- take rest breaks
- only work 6 days per week
- expect that their job will provide enough to live on

The site uses this as an anti-minimum wage argument.

Well, excuse me, if someone works 7 days a week for a wage you've yourself explained isn't enough to live on, that's not something that any amount of minimum wage cutting is going to fix. Those jobs are clearly being subsidized by state welfare already. In other words: businesses who pay their taxes are being taxed to make up the living-wage shortfall for those who refuse to pay a viable wage and demand workers work 7 days a week.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:35:21 pm by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:19 pm »

"Maybe if people weren't so lazy and so demanding about 'work conditions' and 'breaks', they could get jobs in a mill smashing the grain with their bare hands, instead of having it automated by querns."
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:03 pm »

I am convinced that corporate accountants do not understand capitalism.

Seriously.

"Big big profits", which are NOT reinvested back into the economy expediently, DO NOT improve the economy! Instead, it forces governments to institute economic life support, like the stimulus plan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: January 20, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »

I'm given to understand that the plan is that every other corporations will reinvest into the economy, because it's the rational thing to do in the long run, allowing them to ride the wave of prosperity and retain their tremendous profits. Plus, they know every other corporation's accountants are thinking the same thing, so they need to stay safe and not be the one corporation that sinks its money into the economy at large while everyone else is hoarding, which would prevent a return on the investment.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: January 20, 2014, 01:31:22 pm »

Hello race to the bottom. Somebody add some water, and put a plastic sheet down. At least the splashdown into the sewerage at the bottom can be mitigated with a little fun first that way.

Seriously, If they honestly think in doublethink like that, the world is doomed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:17 pm »

In their defense, or rather not at all, I would wager that it's different actual accountants each adopting those viewpoints. The only thing they agree on is that spending money is "too risky".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: January 20, 2014, 02:09:48 pm »

Too bad the engine of growth and especially corporate growth is investment.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: January 20, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »

This sounds like the typical Tragedy of the Commons. This isn't new-news.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: January 20, 2014, 04:11:12 pm »

I am convinced that corporate accountants do not understand capitalism.

Seriously.

"Big big profits", which are NOT reinvested back into the economy expediently, DO NOT improve the economy! Instead, it forces governments to institute economic life support, like the stimulus plan.
The problem, in general, is that the goal of corporate accountants (and the people they're working for) isn't to improve the economy. It's to make a short-term profit.* That's it. That's the whole of it. Just about the only thing that matters is improving dividends this quarter/fiscal year. Many of them understand capitalism just fine, it's just that it's not their job to keep capitalism running, and they're usually not paid to arrange things for society's benefit -- and indeed, sometimes are incentivized to do the exact opposite, if it increases short term profits and isn't sufficiently illegal. Even beyond that, much of the work is compartmentalized (so it's few that are actually seeing the whole picture) and it's relatively rare that you actually get a full-blown accountant calling the shots.

... basically, blame it on the CEOs and the shareholders (especially the latter) before you blame it on the accountants. The accountants are usually just trying to do their job, not decide what the company's going to do.

*Actually, it's usually not even that. It's usually strictly to, y'know, account. The majority of accountants collect and present fiscal information, with a side of communicating it to decision makers and occasionally offering advice on how to accomplish whatever their boss's goals are. They only have so much influence, barring the occasions they are the boss.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: January 20, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »

I can see that angle, but failure to account for the trend in predictions presented to the CEOs is still a form of negligence in that respect.

I have yet to read any headlines or even blog posts about fortune 500 accountants telling CEOs that the need to invest in the economy to continue reaping profits, and that if they don't, then "here is the projected downward forcast as the economy collapses, and what the estimated vaue of the company's accrewed assets will be, in relation to what those assets can obtain from what is left of the market."

I agree that share holders are idiots. I personally feel that day trading should be illegal. (It would solve a LOT of problems.) However, the share holders are not the board of directors, and often times the public stock is less than 50% of stock held, meaning even if 100% of public stock holders unified in action against the directors, they would have difficulty forcibly changing leadership or policies.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:12 pm »

I agree that share holders are idiots. I personally feel that day trading should be illegal. (It would solve a LOT of problems.) However, the share holders are not the board of directors, and often times the public stock is less than 50% of stock held, meaning even if 100% of public stock holders unified in action against the directors, they would have difficulty forcibly changing leadership or policies.

The majority of day traders are retail investors, not the Warren Buffets and the Carl Icahns.

And stock voting rights are skewed by the fact that there's 'preferential shares' which means a certain amount of shares get a 1000:1 voting right compared to common stock. Essentially allowing 1% of the authorized shares to control all of the voting rights.

Shareholders do not have say in what the vast majority of businesses do nowadays. That's why 'Activist investors' are even a thing. They buy a large chunk of shares and threaten to ruin the public image of the stock unless they get board positions.

That's essentially like having 1000:1 'preferential voting' on 1% of people in the US, and blaming the voting populace for having hackjob kleptocrat leadership that they can't do much of anything about.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:56:06 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: January 20, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »

One of the many reasons why capitalism is not working for everyone else:
Corporations are legally obligated to make maximum profits where possible for shareholders.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: January 20, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »

Which, once again, may be the case, but the control of the company still lies in the preferred shares and the board and insiders.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:49 am »

So... what are people's thoughts on the Cecilly McMillan case?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297