Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289093 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4170 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:59 pm »

It's become common practice at protests for police to perform mass arrests, hold people for the duration of the protest on false charges, and then drop everyone's charges and release them when the protest is over.
It's also standard practice for people like that to claim "I did nto doing anything these charges are false" when they where not

Its also standard practice to lie about it

Again i do believe this stuff happens but not to the level people say it dose

So when police arrest people by the dozens, hold them by the hundreds, and then just drop the charges and let them go as soon as the event is over... your assumption is that the people must have been guilty of something?  That the city would rather pay the court settlement fees for mishandled cases, then actually carry out the charges, which would be cheaper and better for PR?  That the donations received from the parties involved in the event being protested have no connection to these practices?

And you accuse people of believing what they want...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: December 18, 2012, 10:42:05 pm »

It's become common practice at protests for police to perform mass arrests, hold people for the duration of the protest on false charges, and then drop everyone's charges and release them when the protest is over.
It's also standard practice for people like that to claim "I did nto doing anything these charges are false" when they where not

Its also standard practice to lie about it

Again i do believe this stuff happens but not to the level people say it dose

So when police arrest people by the dozens, hold them by the hundreds, and then just drop the charges and let them go as soon as the event is over... your assumption is that the people must have been guilty of something?  That the city would rather pay the court settlement fees for mishandled cases, then actually carry out the charges, which would be cheaper and better for PR?  That the donations received from the parties involved in the event being protested have no connection to these practices?

And you accuse people of believing what they want...
What proof do you have of this happening?

I'm not beliving what I want, I see no proof of this happining, yes you always hear about it, but its never backed up with any proof show me proof

As for by the dozen being arrested and doing something to cause it or not, its not uncommon a lot of BAD protesters out there that ruin it for others, so yes I could easily see them hold them in till its over so they dont cause anymore problems then dont pursue so they dont have to go through the legal system,there is nothing wrong wiht that IMO

It's just like how when they sometimes let someone go when they could technically put legal charges on them, its just not worth it, but keeping them there is going to egg more people on

Do I belive cops are doing what i just said? Yes, I also believe some do what you said
but no where near the level your acting like it is

you claim its cheaper and better for PR PROVE it, going through court cost a LOT, and can be dragged out, in fact your side often uses that excused reverse claiming the cops slow the trials down so that the people have no choice to pay for it, guess what? it works both ways they can take hospital people off the streets let them cool down then let them go, not having to pay thousandth of dollars, or they could take them in and do that AND even have more heat form people like you who instantly assume "dozen get arrested? there is no way they did anything wrong!!!!!!"
We don't know what they did or did not do.

Put it this way, cops do it all the time at huge parades and partys, remove the guys who got a little to excited so more dont.

Are all of them doing it legally? of course not, but its far form "common" IMO
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: December 19, 2012, 08:23:32 am »

its doing it when only ONE world was slept wrong.

Please stop denying proper spelling makes your post more readable. No offense, but this is nonsense.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »

I don't really get what you don't like in the article. The fact that you can rent a cop do create conflicts of interests. Police should obey the Law and only the Law, not politicians, banks or protesters.

If a protests broke out in front of the bank, we don't expect the cop to side with the protesters. We expect him to enforce the law, not to take a side. However, in this situation, we don't know if he'll stay neutral or side with his employer.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: December 19, 2012, 12:52:17 pm »

Well, the conflict is that while on duty, a policeman has to enforce the law. All citizens have to obey the laws (as long as it's not too dumb, but that's not the point).
A policeman hired by a bank, like any employee, will work for the bank. But he still has to obey the law.
The conflict is coming from the fact that the policeman is still wearing his uniform, and representing the law, while not directly enforcing it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

Well, it's more than that. Apaprently the NYPD is still covering his ass. He's not really off-duty at all. We don't know if he got police or security powers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »

Also, the idea of a conflict of interest is that humans are often fallible and, regardless of the qualities of an individual, you can't trust them in general, as a matter of policy, to keep different parts of their lives separated that way. Maybe a doctor receiving thousands of dollars in gifts from a pharmaceutical company won't be biased toward prescribing drugs they manufacture, but it's unlikely enough that there are rules against it in order to prevent the situation coming up in the first place.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »

Please stop denying proper spelling makes your post more readable. No offense, but this is nonsense.
I never denied it did, I just said I only had one world spell wrong in that post, thats good for me, your lucky its not ten or so.
i have one world that is misspent
 and it makes my post unreadable? you cant take the context of my post to find out what I meant?
I'm  a bad speller, I cant tell when dose or does is right or wrong, cant tell the diffidence with those and many other words that are similar, spell check will not tell you these are wrong there is nothing i can do there
I can hire a guy to do a job for me, would you say that means he may side with me in disputes? should i not be able to hire someone like that?

could cops do that? yes but they could do it anyway, I disagree with the idea, that him being there is any diffident then not

Cops have been hired as scenery for years, do you think they should not be able to? they been doing it for years and for the most part not much problems.

and if you would look up their regulations I'm willing to bet hard cold money that there are things in place to make it harder for them to do that if they decide to, I know they do for security work
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:22:01 pm by Wolfy »
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: December 19, 2012, 07:19:12 pm »

I never denied it did, I just said I only had one world spell wrong in that post, thats good for me, your lucky its not ten or so.
Thy irony, it burrrrnnnnsssss.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: December 19, 2012, 07:20:41 pm »

Bay 12 has higher standards than most places for spelling and grammar. We probably aren't going to pay much attention to your posts unless you improve.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: December 19, 2012, 07:30:43 pm »

Bay 12 has higher standards than most places for spelling and grammar.
Not really. Unless by 'most places' you mean things like Youtube.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »

Bay 12 has higher standards than most places for spelling and grammar. We probably aren't going to pay much attention to your posts unless you improve.
then don't pay attrition, I CANT just "get better", its not like a switch, and I've seen plenty of users spell wrong and not get called out, but then I miss spell anywhere at anytime and it gets called out

If in order to get heard I have to "spell nice" then I'm nto going to get heard, no skin off my bones, just like friends i would not want people replying to me that felt that way

if they cant acapt this is what I am then I dont need to talk with them about anything, and there are plenty who do talk to me bad spelling or no

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »

I'll read it. It's simply become synonymous with trolling on the internet, which I'm sure you're familiar with. If not, trolls are people deliberately trying to piss people off, and one of the usual ways is to write a provocative post which has seemingly had no thought
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

then don't pay attrition, I CANT just "get better", its not like a switch, and I've seen plenty of users spell wrong and not get called out, but then I miss spell anywhere at anytime and it gets called out

If in order to get heard I have to "spell nice" then I'm nto going to get heard, no skin off my bones, just like friends i would not want people replying to me that felt that way

if they cant acapt this is what I am then I dont need to talk with them about anything, and there are plenty who do talk to me bad spelling or no

Proofreading is a thing that you can do. Besides, it's not "1 or 2" errors, it's two spelling errors and a malapropism every 10 words or so.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »

I have three things. A serious spelling disability, 15 years of effort, and no respect for Wolfy anymore.

Just saying.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 297