Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289108 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4156 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:27 am »

I've heard that hiring state police for special events is common.  This article leads me to believe that off-duty security guard work (without police uniform and equipment) is common.

But this?  I have no idea.  It's one of those situations that calls into question how much the law really matters.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »

Police who hold a second job in security work are allowed to bring their personal equipment and uniform with them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: December 18, 2012, 03:50:59 pm »

I'm calling bs on that link the guy "asked these people" and they ?"confirmed" thieving he wants to hear? Bs
If the cops have been corrupted   like the banks and been like that   for years then they would know enough not to answer those questions
I'm not saying its not going on, just that i find it doubtful this cop would say everything this guy wanted and such.

how many cops would talk about those things to a 100
% stranger?

"So where do you work?"
*tells who life story*

Whats more is he asked these question "who would they work for" already showing biased trying to make it seem like if you dont work for the protest then your EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL and if you side with anything but them your working for the government.

Of course, many would think that the chance to let hardworking, underpaid cops make more money by moonlighting for private business is no big deal – or, since the NYPD gets a cut of these officers' hours of serving private industry, a win-win for the municipal budget in Manhattan. Indeed, moonlighting, out of uniform as a private citizen, is fair enough. But in uniform, armed, with the backup of the whole NYPD? That is another story.
Even an off duty cop is "on duty" in the sense he has the ability to have back up if he attempts a citizen arrest, many off duty cops get there first and call his friends.

this guy
A. has no idea what he is talking about
B. is most likely lying
C. while I believe ht idea is mostly right, he is going about it wrong, and trying WAY to hard to make it “perfect” there is only one way the banks and cops would get away with stuff like this, and its NOT telling some random joe things that magically make the joe look right, on the internet of all places
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:21:58 pm by Wolfy »
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: December 18, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »

Sorry bout that, Chrome spell check was not working for some reason... (that reason being I was not on Chrome  :P )
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: December 18, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »

First - The article wasn't written by a guy.

Second - What I got from the article is that the officers went silent on certain questions, indicating that the answers would be too embarrassing.  They're not supposed to say that they work for any protest.  They're supposed to say that they work for the public.  Even saying that they work for the government would be acceptable, because the government ostensibly works for the public.

Third - NYPD actually make decent money.  They're among the highest paid police in the nation.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: December 18, 2012, 08:27:33 pm »

What I got from the article is that the officers went silent on certain questions, indicating that the answers would be too embarrassing.
Maybe but if it was me, I'd be doing that for way more reasons such as
A. I dont know this guy, why would i tell him this stuff
B> lets be honest questions like that would make you think "conisprcy theroy" and if I tho-gut one was talking to me it be "uh huh" "dont know" "yep"

I just think pepole are reading in to this, under what twisted world do you think he picks a cop at random, the cop dont know him, and the cop is sopoused to answer everything?

If I walked up to you and asked these questions would you answer? maybe but most would not

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: December 18, 2012, 09:05:27 pm »

If they're worried about stirring up conspiracy theorists, then they're not too bright.  They should know that the two worst possible responses in that case are either "I serve the banks" or silence.  They could say just about anything, and it would take more heat off their backs than just staying silent, which only encourages people to assume that the answer is something you wouldn't like to hear.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:01 pm »

What I got from the article is that the officers went silent on certain questions, indicating that the answers would be too embarrassing.
Maybe but if it was me, I'd be doing that for way more reasons such as
A. I dont know this guy, why would i tell him this stuff
B> lets be honest questions like that would make you think "conisprcy theroy" and if I tho-gut one was talking to me it be "uh huh" "dont know" "yep"
Journalism : you have to understand that a journalist won't write "uh uh", "yep", or such. They'll rewrite it. That doesn't mean it's false. Generally, they ask several times (and precisely) waiting for clear answers. Articles interviews are based on a lot of "yes-no" questions, that are re written.

I just think pepole are reading in to this, under what twisted world do you think he picks a cop at random, the cop dont know him, and the cop is sopoused to answer everything?

If I walked up to you and asked these questions would you answer? maybe but most would not
Again, journalism. Maybe he did find people who wouldn't answer. But he didn't say that in the article (what would be the point of saying that ?).
And, in fact, especially at work, most people would actually answer questions, as long as it's not personal/in depth. Just for the sheer pause and being able to talk a bit about your job. The simple fact that someone is interested in what you're doing.

Also, there's nothing about corruption there.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: December 18, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »

If they're worried about stirring up conspiracy theorists, then they're not too bright.  They should know that the two worst possible responses in that case are either "I serve the banks" or silence.  They could say just about anything, and it would take more heat off their backs than just staying silent, which only encourages people to assume that the answer is something you wouldn't like to hear.
I've seen it plenty times, when they say no comment it means its true
when they say its not true it means its true
when they say pizza it means its true

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:50 pm »

Well, yeah.  There are always people who are going to hear whatever they want to hear, regardless of what was actually said.  It doesn't even matter what the subject is.  That doesn't mean everybody is like that.  The important thing is that reasonable listeners will still gauge their beliefs and opinions on the answer or non-answer given.  You can't blame people for making the most obvious assumptions based on that.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:21 pm »

But I dont think this is, to me the most obuvis one was the guys just did not want to talk, no harm there. IMO its making a mounting out of a mole hill

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: December 18, 2012, 09:49:56 pm »

Dude, if you put a tiny bit more effort into your posts (Spell checking, Grammar), people will certainly take your posts more seriously.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:48 pm »

I can see how maybe it would look that way to someone who hasn't been paying attention to the way activists are treated when they challenge the behavior of banks, corporations, or the rich over the last 15 years, or the behavior of police in general.  To anybody who has, questioning the loyalties of the police institution is a very serious matter.

Example:  It's become common practice at protests for police to perform mass arrests, hold people for the duration of the protest on false charges, and then drop everyone's charges and release them when the protest is over.  People can and do sue over this, but the city/police receive donations in advance to cover the court settlement costs of this blatantly illegal practice.  In other words, it's standard practice for police to illegally arrest innocent people in order to protect corrupt business and politics from disruption.  So can you blame people for being a little aggressive in asking, "Who are you serving?  Who are you protecting?"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:58:36 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:37 pm »

If me spelling takes them more "seriously" then i don't want it, my spelling should in no way affect it and if it dose as far as I go its meanness then because a guy talking about flying hippos in the real world will be taken more seriously then i am. which i cant take seriously.

HOWEVER let me point out that my main thing is NOT the telling me to spell better, its doing it when only ONE world was slept wrong.

It's become common practice at protests for police to perform mass arrests, hold people for the duration of the protest on false charges, and then drop everyone's charges and release them when the protest is over.
It's also standard practice for people like that to claim "I did nto doing anything these charges are false" when they where not

Its also standard practice to lie about it

Again i do believe this stuff happens but not to the level people say it dose
So can you blame people for being a little aggressive in asking, "Who are you serving?  Who are you protecting?"
No, but its a stupid question do you really think cops, who are humans being like you and me think

"hmm I'm going to side with the banks on this I'm protecting the banks"?
Hell to be honest, I doubt most cops think of serving or protecting any one, not because they are bad but because like in the military most of them don't think of it as serving the government, freedom etc

who are they serving? the bank to watch over it, they get paid and they due it, but just like when I get paid to serve a man for what ever reason that in no way means I serve him in other ways dose it?

They serve the bank when they are there, they can also serve the people
Are some cops the way you said? yeah maybe, but not all of them because if they where then you would NOT have all the protest you do have and as long as they last

They are human, in fact there are likely quite a few who are on YOUR side in the sense of protest, others who dont give a care, and others who side with one for the money

But like many others, most DONT CARE, its not a governmental vs protesters and cops must pick a side, hell most of them are just thinking "please let nothing happen every time it dose I get extra paper work"
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 297