Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289356 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4050 on: November 03, 2012, 05:29:15 pm »

I think this goes here.

Since I posted this in the election topic;
Nonpartisan Tax Report Withdrawn After G.O.P. Protest

TL; DR Congressional Research Service released a study this September, GOP is staunchly against it and pressures the organization to recede the report. What is the report about?
The report received wide notice from media outlets and liberal and conservative policy analysts when it was released on Sept. 14. It examined the historical fluctuations of the top income tax rates and the rates on capital gains since World War II, and concluded that those fluctuations did not appear to affect the nation’s economic growth.

“The reduction in the top tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie,” the report said. “However, the top tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top of the income distribution.”

How [lower] top tax rates have no notable effect, at all, on economic growth.

I think you know why the GOP basically forced it back into the dark.

Here's the report, it's actually pretty dead on.
The results of the analysis suggest that changes over the past 65 years in the top marginal tax rate and the top capital gains tax rate do not appear correlated with economic growth. The reduction in the top tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment, and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie. However, the top tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top of the income distribution.

As measured by IRS data, the share of income accruing to the top 0.1% of U.S. families increased from 4.2% in 1945 to 12.3% by 2007 before falling to 9.2% due to the 2007-2009 recession. At the same time, the average tax rate paid by the top 0.1% fell from over 50% in 1945 to about 25% in 2009. Tax policy could have a relation to how the economic pie is sliced—lower top tax rates may be associated with greater income disparities.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: November 10, 2012, 09:29:12 pm »

This is a good one...

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: November 10, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »

This is a good one...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What a douche. Never liked his shitty pizza anyway. There would always be a few stray peppers on my side of the pie (plain or pepperoni).
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4053 on: November 12, 2012, 11:58:32 am »

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/378070/free-speech-man-arrested-for-burning-poppy-photo

A UK  man burns a poppy flower and posts the video on facebook. He is arrested on suspicion of malicious communication.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:44 pm »

The UK seriously has a law against grossly offensive things?  I'm surprised anyone thought passing a law to ban offensive anything was a good idea.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: November 12, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »

The UK is not very good at free speech, as far as the western world goes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: November 12, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »

What makes burning a poppy bad anyway? I don't understand the symbolism.

"What was the point of winning either World War if, in 2012, someone can be casually arrested by @kent_police for burning a poppy?"

I also just need everybody to know how much I rolled my eyes at this, since nobody is around to see it and all.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »

In theory, but it's been co-opted pretty severely by the "unthinkingly support the wars we're currently engaged in" brigade.  It's difficult to call it a symbol of peace anymore.

The law he was arrested on is possibly the most poorly written and abusable law ever created.  Virtually anyone who has ever posted on the internet could be arrested under it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: November 12, 2012, 01:43:05 pm »

I think the law in question relates to inciting hatred, though I am not fully sure of the exact details.

Whilst I might not agree with the sentiment or action in question as it could easily be seen as insensetive, badly timed and only carried out for shock value, the individual in question clearly has a right to voice thier opinion. It is unfortunate that the manner in wihch they have carried out thier protest will generate more debate than the point they are trying to make.
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: November 12, 2012, 02:35:13 pm »

the poppy is supposed to commemorate the soldiers that died in world war one (not sure if it extends into two)

Ah, I suppose that makes the quote about the world wars a bit less random. I retract half of the eyes I rolled at it.

Yeah, it was a very dickish thing to do, but the whole point of free speech is just because it's dickish, we don't stop people saying it.

...No. I don't think this was arrestworthy either, but freedom of speech is not, nor was it ever, about the right to be a Dick. It's about the right to oppose the government and other authorities without fear of repercussions.

I'm sorry if I'm taking your words too serious. I'm in a very moody mood right now and not the best at reading textual-feeling-hints, but I understand you could have been... Whatever the word for joking-around-edness is. Just think it needed to be said anyway.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: November 12, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »

Yeah, it was a very dickish thing to do, but the whole point of free speech is just because it's dickish, we don't stop people saying it.
Not really. You have the right to communicate ideas to others, but remember words can do far more than that. You don't really have the right to harm people with words. Harassment isn't the only way to do that either; "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is a bullshit saying.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: November 12, 2012, 03:02:48 pm »

Not really. You have the right to communicate ideas to others, but remember words can do far more than that. You don't really have the right to harm people with words. Harassment isn't the only way to do that either; "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is a bullshit saying.

No, I'd argue that the right to be a dick is pretty important to freedom of speech. Because if you're going to just enshrine it as "right to communicate ideas" then you're putting a litmus test on speech having to be communicative. There's a right to be rude and to be nonsensical if I want, as long as I'm not harming someone else.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: November 12, 2012, 03:24:30 pm »

No, I'd argue that the right to be a dick is pretty important to freedom of speech. Because if you're going to just enshrine it as "right to communicate ideas" then you're putting a litmus test on speech having to be communicative. There's a right to be rude and to be nonsensical if I want, as long as I'm not harming someone else.
No matter what you're going to come down to arguing what's hurting someone and what isn't (not to mention the standard arguments whether hurting them is worth it for some greater good). That's a fair discussion to have, but I dunno if it fits in this particular thread :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »