Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289378 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4005 on: October 24, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »

People were attacked as well.

Umm... this is perplexing to me.  I didn't read up on the May Day actions, but I would be very surprised if protesters, even a black bloc group, attacked people.  That's nearly unheard of to me.

It helps when you look up the things you're defending. This is the most obvious one I can find. I'm sure the protestors who did get it on video were forced to not release it by the anarchists.

Taken from: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/seattle-may-day-protest-turns-into-black-bloc-gone-wild/

So pervasive was the black bloc presence in that particular attack that one reporter noted, bemusedly, that the number of protesters who were in plain clothes and weren’t interested in violence were the minority.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:41:51 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4006 on: October 24, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »

I don't have to prove the fucking assumption. You have to prove that it is baseless.

Our government has done this same thing dozens of times over the last 100 years to its own people. And hundreds of times to other people. Objectively not a baseless assertion.

So: just to get this correct, you have no evidence, no actual proof to base your assumption on. Your proof of current misdeeds are previous misdeeds. That is no proof, only enforcing that you're going with your opinion [supporting the anarchists] and not relying on the justice system to do what it does by investigating not only the group involved but the entire process. That's why they have investigations, children.

You'd both be talking about this the exact opposite way if the arrested were Neonazis instead of Neoliberals.

I am not an anarchist and I do not support their movement. But I do know what a frame up and political oppression looks like, and this very well looks like it could be that. So "this isn't news" and "this is nothing to worry about" isn't true even if it is business as usual, especially if it is business as usual. And yes, I would be just as pissed off if it was accused neonazi's being subject to a McCarthyist inquisition.

If this were the case, why wouldn't those three in custody simply say that to the grand jury rather than refusing to say anything at all? A denial is still an answer. It's also quite possible they wanted to go to jail and are using this simply to stir up sympathy for their cause. The fact that the girl who was released didn't report her release right away is a clue towards this end.

That depends entirely on the questions. You drag me before a grand jury and demand that I reveal the identities of everyone I know or suspect to be involved with atheism to the taliban and sure as hell will refuse to comply with the witchhunt.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:41 pm »

You heard it here first, folks, United States Grand Juries are the Taliban. Give it up for Nadaka, enlightener of men.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: October 24, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

It's also surprising for arguments over professional sports to end up in violent and occasionally deadly action, but it happens...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism

Violence can and does escalate, sometimes beyond the control or intent of those who incited it.

I've seen infinitely more cases of violence related to sports than cases of black blocs in America attempting to physically harm any human being.  And I follow this stuff, except for the last few months because I've been crazy busy.

You forget, these groups are composed of individuals, they also value anonymity of each individual. It may be that the group as a whole is against violence against people, but it only takes a single one to get angry enough to strike out at another person and turn it to your idea of violence.

It's also true that there are far more spectator sporting events with a far larger number of participants [in the spectating] in the world than there are protests that involve these groups. Not surprising that there are more instances of violence there.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: October 24, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »

It helps when you look up the things you're defending. This is the most obvious one I can find. I'm sure the protestors who did get it on video were forced to not release it by the anarchists.

Taken from: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/seattle-may-day-protest-turns-into-black-bloc-gone-wild/

So pervasive was the black bloc presence in that particular attack that one reporter noted, bemusedly, that the number of protesters who were in plain clothes and weren’t interested in violence were the minority.

Umm... I didn't see anyone attacked in that video.  I didn't even see the car damaged.  The article also didn't make any specific claims (other than the car) or provide evidence of violent behavior.

And as long as we're in a discussion rife with dispute over source legitimacy...

Quote from: Wikipedia
TheBlaze is a neo-conservative news and opinion website and television network owned by American media personality and former CNN Headline News and Fox News host Glenn Beck's Mercury Radio Arts. The website was launched three days after Beck's widely publicized Restoring Honor rally at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D. C. Beck has promoted The Blaze as an alternative to "mainstream media outlets," which Beck says are "distorting facts to fit rigid agendas."

You forget, these groups are composed of individuals, they also value anonymity of each individual. It may be that the group as a whole is against violence against people, but it only takes a single one to get angry enough to strike out at another person and turn it to your idea of violence.

Umm... yeah... and what I'm saying is I'm not aware of a single instance of any individual attacking another person while participating in a black bloc in America.  So whatever statement about the likelihood of such a thing occurring is rather irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:57:17 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:58 pm »

Umm... I didn't see anyone attacked in that video.  I didn't even see the car damaged.

And as long as we're in a discussion rife with dispute over source legitimacy...

It's a fucking car with a person in it, dude. Are you that blind?

Your arguing over the source of a youtube video [which I linked where I found the original source of] goes to show how uninformed and defensive you are on the issue at hand.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: October 24, 2012, 12:58:51 pm »

Umm... I didn't see anyone attacked in that video.  I didn't even see the car damaged.

It's a fucking car with a person in it, dude. Are you that blind?

Was the car damaged?  Was anyone inside the car hurt?  Or is inconveniencing someone an act of violence now?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: October 24, 2012, 01:00:12 pm »

Mictlantecuhtli: You're being a bit aggressive and the way you argue, nobody is going to want to change their mind.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: October 24, 2012, 01:00:39 pm »

Was the car damaged?  Was anyone inside the car hurt?  Or is inconveniencing someone an act of violence now?

Once again, are you blind? Security showed up and forced the black bloc away, which would've continued with their neat weapons they all have.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »

Once again, are you blind? Security showed up and forced the black bloc away, which would've continued with their neat weapons they all have.

Security stepped out of the vehicle, marking them as more than helpless victims, which had a corporate logo on it.  I need to look up who ABM is, but they were likely harassed for being linked to unethical behavior. 

And those "neat weapons" look like pool noodles.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:08:08 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:00 pm »

Yeah, harassing [and threatening, if you can tell me the crowd is anything but violence-minded I'd love to see your version of a violent protest in the US] people for being tied to a [maybe-possibly-perhaps-unethical] corporation is how you should go about things. Christ the double standard in the minds here is astounding.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: October 24, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »

Your arguing over the source of a youtube video [which I linked where I found the original source of] goes to show how uninformed and defensive you are on the issue at hand.

I was saying that the source where you found that video (theblaze) didn't provide any specific claims or evidence of violence.  All they did was describe the scene very vaguely in a way that would suggest to their target audience (as a neoconservative news source) that violence had occurred.

Yeah, harassing [and threatening, if you can tell me the crowd is anything but violence-minded I'd love to see your version of a violent protest in the US] people for being tied to a [maybe-possibly-perhaps-unethical] corporation is how you should go about things. Christ the double standard in the minds here is astounding.

Double-standard?

Are you implying that throwing people in solitary confinement to coerce information out of them is comparable to surrounding a car and hitting it with pool noodles?...

Right... this is too ridiculous for me anymore.  I was doing things and ended up taking way too much time out for this.  I'm supposed to be relaxing today.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:12:06 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: October 24, 2012, 01:15:29 pm »

No, I'm talking about you not knowing anything about what you're defending and doing so simply because they're Liberals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: October 24, 2012, 02:08:18 pm »

It's nagging me.  I have to come wrap up this loose end of the discussion.

The car in the video was marked with an ABM logo.  I looked up ABM Industries.  They do private security.  This is probably why they were being harassed (as in inconvenienced by having their path blocked - not attacked).  The people in that vehicle were anything but innocent bystanders.  They were almost certainly on their way to join in the response to the demonstrations.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: October 24, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »

So, basically: some anarchists caused property damage (and supposedly attacked people). To find them, other anarchists are being rounded up and their political material is confiscated. Then they are made (under threat of 18-month imprisonment) to oust not just perpetrators, but also other people who follow the same ideology?
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 297