Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289451 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3915 on: October 11, 2012, 04:46:47 am »

Newly Discovered Homeland Security Files Show Feds Central to Occupy Crackdown

This article appears to be a few months old, but this is the first I've heard of it... and it stands in stark contrast to the one that was extremely widespread more recently about the release of e-mails showing the white house advised to "go easy" on the protestors and arrest as little as possible.  A search for the latter article returns almost exclusively right-wing news sources.

Well, I live nearly directly (maybe a little under a mile away) next to an small airport so I can't say for certain whether or not the small planes I occasionally see roughly circling my house is the government wasting their time and taxpayer money because I made this thread or not. A little of both? At least they don't have to waste much money on gas getting to me if so. Plus it's probably good somehow for the local economy and goodness knows the town needs every little bit of money supply it can get at it's median age of 48 years old so the old folks can pay me a technically illegal though not bad-hearted wage under the table to work on their farm for a few hours a day. It's better than absolutely nothing I suppose despite the ease with which I become fed up with not even breaking even for sacrificing time I could be doing awesome things like making this post or composing the songs in my signature. That's not to say I'm not appreciative of the fellows paying me that questionable wage; it's not them who ought to be punished, but this fellow I keep hearing about named 'Econom Icks.' It's that Econom guy that's keeping them from paying me the wage my benefactors the geriatrics and soon to be geriatrics would if they could.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To the person in charge (who I will admit is both handsome and wonderful if they have the power to kill at will my particular sentience):
Ya like those middle fingers or funny looks I give you once in a while ya well paid, possibly well meaning semi-oppressor? Not much else I can do I suppose. I like to think the funny looks are a mix of trepidation, resignation to the fact that I don't have a choice in the matter that you might be able to see me naked when you want, and mild amusement that someone would think it's worth their time to keep an eye on me. At least you didn't drone my ass down yet or send ninjas to arrest me for no good reason. Besides, I'm mostly on your side so it would be friendly fire anyways. It's just that things aren't right in the country and no matter how much you get paid you ought to realize that by now; and observing people doing what they can to help make things better probably isn't the solution.

Also if it's just silly paranoia I apologize to all the local pilots I've flicked off for no reason who probably didn't see me anyways. Since they most likely won't see my apology either I think it's fair enough.

EDIT: I should mention as I was making this post I can hear a small aircraft in the distance. It's night time and it's fairly easy to make out due to all the noisy bugs and frogs hibernating by now. Also I'm a bit of a musician so I'd like to think I can do a bit of hearing.

EDIT2: I think it's gone now but I'd have to go outside to check; and that's where the monster that is killing our chickens is. I think it's a Predator (alien, not the drone) because he only takes the head and some of the organs. I don't want to give him the wrong idea and let him know there are better trophies around. I'd like to think I put my spinal column to better use than sitting on an ugly motherf'n (to quote Predator 2) alien's display rack next to his chicken skulls; though all that misty atmosphere could be be good for my back if I wasn't so dead in that extended fantasy. Though if I killed one and took it's weapon maybe I'd get a sweet artifact antique weapon to pawn from it's mommy. I don't know if I'm Danny Glover enough for that though; and besides, maybe only black people can breathe Predator air (so that's what's different between us other than skin color! and the years decades centuries of oppression resulting in a divergent yet equally if not more so cool culture here in America)

Also all my Predator knowledge comes from Predator 2 (un?)fortunately. Maybe if they made a Predator MMO I'd be down to learn more useful knowledge regarding the thing killing the local fowl.

EDIT3: Well that's enough about Occupy Wallstreet for today I think.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:26:57 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:34 am »

I think I love you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48:27 am »

I feel like Duuvian said something immensely profound, but I was incapable of deciphering it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 17, 2012, 06:17:20 am »

Also posted by a group I follow called Generation Alpha on Facebook.  They post some useful/interesting stuff sometimes.

Did you see this on the news?

Global demonstrations were held on saturday 13 October in more than 250 cities in 30 countries.

The global protests were part of a series of protests inspired by the Arab Spring, the Icelandic Revolution, the Portuguese "Geração à Rasca", the Spanish "Indignants", the Greek Protests, the Quebec Student Movement, the Chilean Student Movement, the Mexican YoSoy132 Movement and the Occupy movement.

This image was taken in Rome, Italy, where an estimated 400,000 people gathered to protest against corporate power, grinding poverty and government cuts. Hundreds of people clashed with police for hours, reportedly leaving more than 200 people injured, including 105 police officers.

General assemblies, the social network n-1, mailing lists, and Facebook were used to coordinate the global demonstrations.

Two days later one of the main Dutch newspapers declared that the Occupy movement has "completely disappeared". What do you think?

Visualisation on a world map of the locations of the protests:

http://www.globalnoise.net/wp-content/plugins/leaflet-maps-marker/leaflet-fullscreen.php?layer=1

For more pictures from Italy, the USA, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Sweden, Australia, Mexico and the UK see World Riots 24/h

For more info on the world wide actions see #globalNOISE

Report from The Nation: "Global Noise: Worldwide Debt Protests"

http://www.thenation.com/blog/170560/global-noise-worldwide-debt-protests

Report from RT: "Global Noise takes on austerity: 'We are not going to be silent'"

http://rt.com/news/global-noise-demonstrations-378/

Report from Democracy Now!: "Global Noise Anti-Austerity Protests Held Worldwide"

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/15/headlines/global_noise_anti_austerity_protests_held_worldwide

Report from Free Speech Radio News: "Global Noise day of action takes aim at rising debt and austerity measures"

http://fsrn.org/audio/global-noise-day-action-takes-aim-rising-debt-and-austerity-measures/11015
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:06:13 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:36 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah-Lynn_Plante
http://interoccupy.net/blog/36551/

http://www.freeleah.org/ <-

Keep it up my excellent fellows, I've got your back as best my words, mind, and awareness allow me. We should look forward to the right of having our effort be considered equally worthy as that of those who tell us what our work is worth. That probably sounds 'Communist' but remember I'm a capitalist who wants a fair money supply across the board for everyone. Maybe capital supply would be a better term for me to use in the future; it's just I didn't name the thing being born somewhat late to the economics party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply     for good measure

Remember that money supply can be applied to any group or distinction of any number of people.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:14:47 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: October 18, 2012, 04:51:38 am »

For anyone interested, i was arguing on another site about Leah-Lynne Plante with a fellow who claimed "the government / FBI just wouldn't target people without good cause".

I'd like to bring the 1990 Judi Bari bombing in Oakland, California to people's attention in case you haven't heard of this. The short version is:

Judy Bari was an anti-logging activist with Earth First!, they were targeting the Pacific Lumber Company in protests in 1990. Pacific Lumber was caught about this time, disseminating forged Earth First! literature, which used "Liberal Crime Squad" type violent language, but had errors like mis-spelling and mis-signing the name of the head of Earth First! (he was Darryl with 2 'R's and the literature was typed and signed with 1 'R').

Whilst driving on her way to a demonstration in Oakland California with the head of Earth First!, Darryl Cherney, a motion-sensitive pipe bomb exploded under her ass, crippling her and injuring Cherney. Within minutes, an FBI counter-terrorist unit took over the scene, and declared her and Cherney as terrorists.

It came out later that all FBI agents present had been trained by the lead agent of the day in something called "Bomb School" about a month before the event, where they practiced blowing up cars with pipe bombs and responding to the event. "Bomb School" was held on land belonging to Pacific Lumber.

Bari and Cherney won a $4 million dollar settlement from the FBI later on.

An important point is that not everyone in the FBI went along with what those agents were saying, the bombing survivors got a lot of good evidence from other FBI people who helped them. What this looks like is a clique of corrupt local agents getting kick-backs from corporations to discredit protestors. Here's an interview with Judi Bari:

http://www.albionmonitor.com/bari/jbint-7.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:44:48 am by Reelya »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: October 18, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/17/corruption-in-arizona-national.html

I honestly don't understand how people keep getting away with stuff like this. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: October 18, 2012, 11:01:38 am »

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/17/corruption-in-arizona-national.html

I honestly don't understand how people keep getting away with stuff like this.
"Don't rock the boat."
"I ain't seen nothing."
"It ain't my problem."
"I don't care, don't drag me in."
"I like you, so I'm going to overlook this."
"I don't see any problems here, carry on."
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:50 pm »

During some of these so-called "bum hunts," female recruits said, they were ordered to flash their breasts at transients.

The only part I enjoy is free breast showing to the homeless. They of all people need some tit.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: October 19, 2012, 01:05:21 am »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: October 19, 2012, 01:06:09 am »

So, I can declare myself king if a watery tart throws a sword at me? Awesome.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: October 19, 2012, 01:11:14 am »

Maybe if I stand next to a gutter, I can get hit with a butter knife and become a Baron.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:18 am »

The Lady Of The Lake was closer to a Fey kind of thing (having originated from Pagan mythology), so she wasn't exactly a lady at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

The Lady Of The Lake was closer to a Fey kind of thing (having originated from Pagan mythology), so she wasn't exactly a lady at all.

This makes no sense at all. Are you arguing semantics with mythology? Because you're going to loose if you are, you know.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:00 am »

I'm not arguing. I'm just making a statement. Glorious Machine Overlord, I swear everyone on this forum is constantly looking for a fight, it gets really old.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 297