Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289602 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3795 on: September 17, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

3) Want equality? How about you stop interfering with the working class' ability to get to work? If you really care about equality of opportunity you should stop skewing against those who are trying hard to make a wage.
Disagree here. The less those people work, the less their work benefits those that abuse their labor.

Also, the homeless sure as hell better be being "lumped in" with the occupy protesters, as they're some of the most negatively affected. Why do we even have homeless in one of the richest countries in the world?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:15:27 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: September 17, 2012, 05:25:55 pm »

The bad:
1) A lack of a singular, clear message or goal. (it is mostly bitching for bitching's sake. Want to make a difference? Structure, develop a unified manifest and apply political pressure through the channels that get things done. Right now the protestors are fapping off about a dozen wildly ranging topics to tourists and bored journalists.)

Also going to disagree with this, as it's one of the most often repeated slander myths.

1.  There is no singular, clear message that encompasses all the problems we face and potential solutions.

2.  There are strategic reasons for refusing to be pigeon-holed into a single-issue character.

3.  I'm not sure what you mean by "channels that get things done".  The #1 reason the Occupy movement exists is because it's so obvious today that those channels only get things done for the upper classes, so your statement doesn't make much sense in context.  The other issue is that many protest movements get pacified by being co-opted into party platform as a minor side-note issue that never gets addressed, OR institutions agree to address grievances, only to drown the process in beaurocracy until the media stops paying attention and those concerns can again be safely marginalized.

4.  Just because people participate in protests doesn't also mean that they never participate in more concrete action when they are not protesting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »

3) Want equality? How about you stop interfering with the working class' ability to get to work? If you really care about equality of opportunity you should stop skewing against those who are trying hard to make a wage.
Disagree here. The less those people work, the less their work benefits those that abuse their labor.

Also, the homeless sure as hell better be being "lumped in" with the occupy protesters, as they're some of the most negatively affected. Why do we even have homeless in one of the richest countries in the world?

Those that work pay taxes. Those taxes pay for a lot of the care of those who can't or won't work. If you had your way, the businesses would be stopped by protestors who would then become homeless.  If they stop working, then the tax revenue dries up. How does your concept help anyone? Sadly, it is as simple of an economic principle that exists besides supply/demand. I won't address the homeless issue further because it can be difficult to describe the specific stratum of local homeless that have piggybacked on the agenda. I am not speaking of the homeless who have been negatively affected by the economic collapse we are experiencing. They have my deepest sympathy and regard, but the majority of them are trying to find work and are not at the protests.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »

The bad:
1) A lack of a singular, clear message or goal. (it is mostly bitching for bitching's sake. Want to make a difference? Structure, develop a unified manifest and apply political pressure through the channels that get things done. Right now the protestors are fapping off about a dozen wildly ranging topics to tourists and bored journalists.)

Also going to disagree with this, as it's one of the most often repeated slander myths.

1.  There is no singular, clear message that encompasses all the problems we face and potential solutions.

2.  There are strategic reasons for refusing to be pigeon-holed into a single-issue character.

3.  I'm not sure what you mean by "channels that get things done".  The #1 reason the Occupy movement exists is because it's so obvious today that those channels only get things done for the upper classes, so your statement doesn't make much sense in context.  The other issue is that many protest movements get pacified by being co-opted into party platform as a minor side-note issue that never gets addressed, OR institutions agree to address grievances, only to drown the process in beaurocracy until the media stops paying attention and those concerns can again be safely marginalized.

4.  Just because people participate in protests doesn't also mean that they never participate in more concrete action when they are not protesting.

You have been very well spoken but it is neither slander or a myth. It is a simple, factual statement. The civil rights movement was a success because it embraced a lot of propaganda methodology such as having a unified stance as well as working with the establish government. The proper channels that I spoke of are in fact government. Yes, we have had a corrupt, self serving ruling class of politicians in this country for 40+ years and getting anything done through it is hard and often laden with numerous setbacks. By supporting politicians who publicly agree with your stance and helping them into office as a unified front of support, you increase your own ability to be heard. Most likely it will take several "generations" of politicians and a devote work ethic on the part of the dissatisfied population, but like the civil rights movement, progress will be gradual and probably not felt overnight.

This revolutionary, anarchistic, borderline destructive movement globally has not been working out so well. The countries that have tried it recently are showing that they are much worse off now. Perhaps 20-30 years from now things will have stabilized and become a utopia, or more likely they will follow the traditional course after a revolution, which is the new regime becomes as corrupt as the old.

As for # 4, I wholeheartedly agree.

And to be clear, I have no grievance with the protest on a whole, I just find it to be ineffectual and potentially more harm than good. I want the issues resolved as much as anyone, I just disagree with this course of action. I am however moved by your passion.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:17:10 pm by hemmingjay »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:00 pm »

@ hemingjay's reply to my post
Ooh I got a good quote for this.

If the machine becomes so odious, you throw yourself on the gears until it stops working.

We've a machine here that needs to be stopped. It can then either be rebuilt or modified, whichever you deem more plausible, but either way something has to change and it won't change if the current situation is allowed to continue.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: September 17, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »

@ hemingjay's reply to my post
Ooh I got a good quote for this.

If the machine becomes so odious, you throw yourself on the gears until it stops working.

We've a machine here that needs to be stopped. It can then either be rebuilt or modified, whichever you deem more plausible, but either way something has to change and it won't change if the current situation is allowed to continue.

If you clog the gears of the machine with the corpses of the working classes who will rebuild it and for whom will the new machine serve?
BTW, I do agree it needs to change. However, destroying the economy to modify something you dislike will certainly cause more suffering. Globally.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:58 pm »

What.

Let's assume this escalates to violence (even though I don't think it will). Even with a 1 to 1 ratio of corpses, I don't think the working class will be on the losing end. Who will rebuild? Those feasting on the corpses of the rich, of course. The working class.

You seem to think the working class is harmed more than the upper classes by these protests. That is not the case.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: September 17, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »

You seem to think the working class is harmed more than the upper classes by these protests. That is not the case.

It inconveniences the working class while the upper class can just plug their ears and ignore it.
I was dragged along on one of these protest march thingies once, and they really do very little. It's just some walking around, some shouting, and the people who it's meant to be addressed to aren't even there, and if they are, they don't have to pay attention to it. They're in huge glass and metal buildings while the protestors scurry about on the streets carrying banners and throwing themselves on the floor to make a point about war or something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »

Let's assume this escalates to violence (even though I don't think it will). Even with a 1 to 1 ratio of corpses, I don't think the working class will be on the losing end. Who will rebuild? Those feasting on the corpses of the rich, of course. The working class.

Okay. No. You don't know anything about ground conflicts in human history if you are under the impression that the violence is felt by the rich and privileged. Who fought the civil war? Aristocrats and abolitionists only? No, it was poor farmers and men who worked for a living. On both sides. Where people die. For a cause they likely aren't personally vested in. See: any conflict in human history.

If you truely think that the rich and powerful wouldn't have their own Loyalist base in a civil war style conflict brought about by neocon and neoliberal extremism; then you're severely disconnected from reality. Basically; keep it at rhetoric and stop advocating 'If the machine becomes so odious, you throw yourself on the gears until it stops working.' as it leads to innocent people dying for a fool's cause.

I'd just like to mention that the people who profit off of a conflict in any area in any time of human history; are those who are already holding the financial and political strings to be able to profiteer off of armed conflict. Aka 'the 1%.' Go look up our current military industrial complex and the intricacies therein if you don't understand how that works.

We have a democracy, we can vote, and our votes tangentially matter; not in the national election but there's a big chunk of our government called congress which is the closest thing to direct representatives we can field. And guess what? They're having votes to change [1/3rds of] the people in those positions this season; so go fucking vote and do something about it.

Note: this all ignores the economic impact of The Great Stupid Wartm and what it'd do to annihilate any semblance of 1st world living as we know it. I'm just annoyed you're advocating people go die for this retarded thinking.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:43:02 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »

You responded to me:

ME:    3) Want equality? How about you stop interfering with the working class' ability to get to work? If you really care about equality of opportunity you should stop skewing against those who          are trying hard to make a wage.

You: Disagree here. The less those people work, the less their work benefits those that abuse their labor.

That is why I think your movement hurts the working class. Also, the corpses I spoke of were from your quote, not literal.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:16 pm »

@Mictlantecuhtli
I'm thinking of a Reign of Terror esque situation, not a conventional war. Tell me, who died there? (well a lot of people did but still)

That is why I think your movement hurts the working class. Also, the corpses I spoke of were from your quote, not literal.
It only "hurts" them in the same way it "hurts" strike breakers by preventing them from working. To change the status quo you might actually have to get in the way of those who are complacent with it, you know.

As for the corpses thing; metaphorically, if something actually DOES get stopped, again the working class aren't going to be much worse off (especially compared to the upper classes). Literally, if there's violence, I think it'll be a reign of terror esque situation, again, and it's not the working class that will be put under the guillotine.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:23 pm »

I'm thinking of a Reign of Terror esque situation, not a conventional war. Tell me, who died there? (well a lot of people did but still)

An estimated 40,000 people were killed during the Terror. 84 percent of the victims were middle class, workers, or peasants who had been accused of desertion, hoarding food, or other acts against the government. Eight percent were aristocracy, many of whom belonged to the Convention. The Roman Catholic church was the hardest hit proportionally, with at least 2,400 clergy or church officials being beheaded. The Terror was not limited to Paris: the laws spread out across the country and even to French colonies.
Src: http://www.ehow.com/about_4571610_reign-terror-during-french-revolution.html

As for the corpses thing; metaphorically, if something actually DOES get stopped, again the working class aren't going to be much worse off (especially compared to the upper classes). Literally, if there's violence, I think it'll be a reign of terror esque situation, again, and it's not the working class that will be put under the guillotine.

Yeah, because random public executions of people we disagree with is the correct path. You just proved how asinine your thinking is.. You're the furthest thing away from advocating equality right now when you say that a 'Reign of Terror-eqsue situation' would be preferable to all-encompassing compromise and simple tolerance.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »

Aaaand you just strawmanned me. I specifically said I did not think that will happen, and no, I would not support it if it did. All I said is if violence DOES erupt, that's the sort I'd expect.

As for those statistics, that's quite true, but I'll point out that it'd have to hit 99% before the death toll hits the lower classes harder than the upper (proportionally). I'm counting the entire 99% in the "lower classes" here, though if you'd prefer I use a different identifier I will.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:58 pm »

As for those statistics, that's quite true, but I'll point out that it'd have to hit 99% before the death toll hits the lower classes harder than the upper (proportionally). I'm counting the entire 99% in the "lower classes" here, though if you'd prefer I use a different identifier I will.

Now you're saying we need to kill 99% of people to have a chance at affecting the elite?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: September 17, 2012, 07:06:57 pm »

* kaijyuu does not know whether to take you seriously or not.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 297