Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290030 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3465 on: July 23, 2012, 03:38:35 am »

Don't miss the part in the (not mine) breeder reactor link though where energy from breeder reactors isn't cost-effective compared to light water reactors. This is the main reason they're not rolling the tech out everywhere. They'll only be cost-effective compare to LWR's once the price of uranium spikes up.

But that neglects that by then, they'll be competing will all other potential forms of energy production. So i'll stick with the info that they're not cost-effective.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: July 23, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

Low temperature Geothermal should be able to be deployed at a cost of 26-30c/kWh pretty much everywhere, once they figure out a few minorchallenging but possible in theory things. Any nuclear that costs more than that is probably not viable when you consider that geothermal has none of the negative image associated with it that nuclear power does.
Magma is overrated.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:15:28 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: July 24, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »

I actually have a serous issue with the "illegal home gardening thing" the government is trying to do. If they had justified it as an eyesore, perhaps they would have a case, but previously they had tried to do it by claiming it "affected the economy", and so they had rights to regulate it. If they go ahead and do this, it means they can regulate anything they deem remotely related to the economy.

Growing food? YOU ARE HURTING THE AGRICULTURAL INDUSTRY!
Doing yard work? HEY! Landscapers need to make a living, too!
Got an electrical generator? People work for the power company, you monster!

It's forcing us to be interdependent. Patent law does not apply here, and neither do business laws unless you are selling/distributing the products or services. I don't see any way the government can justify this, but I would love to see them try. And if they do it anyways, this is exactly why we need guns at the ready. Above all else, this is why the 2nd amendment needs to be adhered to.

Sorry if I got off on a bit of a tangent.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: July 24, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »

I actually have a serous issue with the "illegal home gardening thing" the government is trying to do. If they had justified it as an eyesore, perhaps they would have a case, but previously they had tried to do it by claiming it "affected the economy", and so they had rights to regulate it. If they go ahead and do this, it means they can regulate anything they deem remotely related to the economy.

It's forcing us to be interdependent. Patent law does not apply here, and neither do business laws unless you are selling/distributing the products or services. I don't see any way the government can justify this, but I would love to see them try. And if they do it anyways, this is exactly why we need guns at the ready. Above all else, this is why the 2nd amendment needs to be adhered to.

It's nothing new. Take a look at Wickard v. Filiburn, a 1942 Supreme Court case banning farmers from growing their own wheat. See also Gonzales v. Raich, where they rule that the federal government can apply this to things that aren't even legal to sell across state lines.

On the other hand, state and local governments do have full constitutional authority to ban gardens.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »

So... I saw The Dark Knight yesterday.  I greatly enjoyed the movie, but was rather put off by the ending.  Been doing some reading today to see how this work is being culturally absorbed.  I've been greatly interested in this film as it marketed itself as a straightforward cultural manifestation of the class warfare that is currently closer to the forefront of our public consciousness than it has been in a very long time.  It didn't really live up to that marketing, hence my disappointment.  In fact, I felt a little betrayed.

But I stumbled across this.  Most intelligent thing I've read in a while.  I... don't think there's anything here that can really be considered spoiler, but I'll spoiler it anyway.  I don't think it references any content outside of the trailers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: July 24, 2012, 08:08:45 pm »

It's nothing new. Take a look at Wickard v. Filiburn, a 1942 Supreme Court case banning farmers from growing their own wheat. See also Gonzales v. Raich, where they rule that the federal government can apply this to things that aren't even legal to sell across state lines.

On the other hand, state and local governments do have full constitutional authority to ban gardens.
The article is Canadian.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: July 24, 2012, 09:27:46 pm »

Not that surprising. The GOP is all about blocking anti-discrimination legislation. If I am recalling correctly, the current Party Approved reasoning is that it infringes upon economic and religious freedom to not be able to fire gay people without fear of reprisal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: July 24, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The article is Canadian.
Huh, so it is. Missed that little bit. But I believe my point still stands, minus references to the US constitution.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: July 24, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »

Not that surprising. The GOP is all about blocking anti-discrimination legislation. If I am recalling correctly, the current Party Approved reasoning is that it infringes upon economic and religious freedom to not be able to fire gay people without fear of reprisal.

Sounds like the regular old shit. Victimize self, make them the oppressors of freedom. Yep.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »

Sounds like the regular old shit. Victimize self, make them the oppressors of freedom. Yep.
Despite what you want to hear, it does happen. All it takes is a good lawyer and a sympathetic judge/jury to pull the race/gay/whatever card. Because who gets to determine what the employer's motivation for firing the person was?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: July 24, 2012, 10:14:45 pm »

And we'll have fun fun fun until geothermal drifts the city away!

Geothermal isn't innocent.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: July 24, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »

Despite what you want to hear, it does happen. All it takes is a good lawyer and a sympathetic judge/jury to pull the race/gay/whatever card. Because who gets to determine what the employer's motivation for firing the person was?

Not sure I understand.  If an employer has any legitimate reason for firing someone whatsoever, then they don't need to be able to do so on the basis of sexual preference.  I can't conceive of it how it could possibly be an issue for anyone who isn't trying to openly discriminate.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:41 pm »

That why it is important to keep documentation and recordings of your employees and only fire them once you have proof of their incompetence/wrongdoing/whatever.

Anyway, the gay card wouldn't work in any of the aforementioned states anyway, because it is 100% legal to fire someone for being a homosexual there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 297