Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290096 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3390 on: July 20, 2012, 10:14:59 am »

But there are ones that fall under A but not B. B is the unnecessary one, since any "deviate" intercourse is also normal intercourse.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: July 20, 2012, 10:20:58 am »

It... might depend on what A was defined as. I don't think I'd like to go into details, but there's probably stuff involving a single person and accessories, ferex, that might not fit in A but would definitely fit in B, depending on exactly how the concept of "sexual intercourse" and "deviate" were identified. In other words, there's acts you might not want to really call sexual intercourse, but would definitely fit under the umbrella of deviate... something.

Would think they'd use a different word for B, but maybe there's some legal technicality behind it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: July 20, 2012, 10:44:48 am »

But there are ones that fall under A but not B. B is the unnecessary one, since any "deviate" intercourse is also normal intercourse.
Yes, exactly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3393 on: July 20, 2012, 11:00:17 am »

Yes, exactly.

Except for definitions of intercourse that are limited to a married man and his wife in the missionary position at night with the lights out, the door locked and a sheet with a hole between them. Every thing else is called sodomy.

That was only a slight exaggeration.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:47 am »

Except for definitions of intercourse that are limited to a married man and his wife in the missionary position at night with the lights out, the door locked and a sheet with a hole between them. Every thing else is called sodomy.

That was only a slight exaggeration.
Those all depend on your jurisdiction, as far as I know there are no districts where they all apply at once. Except the sheet with the hole thing, that's just a very stupid urban legend, and with anti-Jewish origins to boot!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3395 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:59 am »

Sheet with a hole: I have only heard of it used to describe Mormon and Mennonite prudishness.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:29 am »

I'm pretty sure it was originally a myth about the Jews, but I could see it spreading to Mormons and Mennonites. Urban legends are like that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: July 20, 2012, 12:09:14 pm »

Fun fact: it actually originates from Jews having sheets separating the seats in their outhouses, and being the first to invent glory holes. Christians were obviously jealous when they rare of it and made up the myth about it being in the bedroom out of spite.

Only one word of the above is a lie.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: July 20, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »

"First"?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »

"Fact".
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »

Then far more of the sentence is a lie than just that one word.

And this is totally about Occupy Wallstreet guys.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: July 20, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »

Then far more of the sentence is a lie than just that one word.
If the first two words are actually "Fun falsehood", then none of it is a lie, as the whole thing is presented as untrue, which it is.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:12 pm »

Lenovo CEO Gives His $3 Million USD Bonus to 10,000 Employees

Lenovo has earned itself top consideration whenever I'm in the market for an electronic device.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: July 20, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

Stuff like that is probably going to become more common as businesses realize that shady and unfair dealing are starting to become more harmful than helpful to them. Radically fair business practice will attract both employees and loyal customers, thus making more money, thus becoming SOP for corporations once the current old guard retire or die.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13:20 pm »

I'm sure plenty of Bay12 has read this article already.  I've been seeing it passed around a lot the last couple days.  Going to post it here, anyway.  It should be required reading for everyone on the planet.

Global Warming's Terrifying New Math

I'm pretty well convinced that we are fucked.  I have very little hope for the future.  I sincerely regret having children, because it's painful to imagine the world they'll almost certainly be facing as they near adulthood.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 297