Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290159 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3345 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19:15 pm »

Hitler's actions were based off of existing feelings. His expansion into Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Poland were all based off of the popular ideal of a pan-Germanic state.
I'm not saying leaders are all that matter, either. It's hardly binary.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »

When I voted in the last elections, it was on an electronic voting machine that treated it like a multiple choice test.  Is writing in a fictional character even an option anymore?

And what if you disagree with the practice of voting?

Huh, that's a good question. I didn't know that there were jurisdictions in which write-in candidates were not allowed (Wikipedia suggests that this is the case). In that case, I suppose you might as well not vote. Might want to figure out who's in charge of those rules and petition them to change them, but that sort of campaign is a good deal more investment of effort and time than simply writing in a vote.

Also, if you disagree with the practice of voting, I recommend writing in "Anarchy" or a similar non-democratic system. I mean, I suppose it depends on what it is about voting that you disapprove of, but at this point you're basically hijacking the system to use it as a means of expression (since you don't want to condone any major candidates, this is about the only option you have left).

Not only was there no option present for write-in (IIRC, the machine literally just had buttons along the side of the screen for option A-D), but it forced me through voting for a whole bunch of positions that I had no clue I'd be voting for along with the presidency.  I knew there were other elections coinciding, but I didn't know I would be forced to participate in them like that.  The voting station was my local fire department, which only had two machines for a line that wrapped multiple times around the building.  There were only 4 people staffing the place, and they were all busy either checking someone into a station or otherwise managing the line.  It was a nightmare and huge waste of time that I gave up half a night's sleep to participate in, when all I wanted to do was vote for one guy who had zero chance of winning anyway.

As for my disagreement with the practice of voting, that does come down to my political beliefs basically rejecting everything the way it is.  Writing in Anarchy would be the best thing for me at this point.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: July 14, 2012, 01:20:56 pm »

Hitler's actions were based off of existing feelings. His expansion into Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Poland were all based off of the popular ideal of a pan-Germanic state.
I'm not saying leaders are all that matter, either. It's hardly binary.
I was responding to MorleyDev, but he edited the relevant part out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3348 on: July 14, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »

Yeah, sorry I was editing it to make some minor changes and then my laptop bloody crashed >.< I'll admit that sentence was largely me making an appeal to PR by going "Yup WW2 was terrible and all Hitlers fault", and figured I'd try and at least add some "But let's get away from Godwin's law" to it and then crash -_-

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:58 pm »

Ah, my bad, sorry.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: July 14, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

From Global Citizens United -- one of many collective mouthpiece profiles used by Occupy-affiliated peoples on Google+

Why You Work So Hard - Do You Know?

Prior to the 1970's, for 150 years, every decade without fail, Americans enjoyed a rising level of wages.  As Worker Productivity went up, Employer's paid their Employee's their fair share.  This productivity and pay rise relationship was inseparable and resulted in a consistent rise in the standard of living over the same period.

In the early 1970's economists estimated that if worker productivity continued its pace, one of three things would have happened by today;

A. ) We'd work less hours, 20-25 hours, for the same wage.
B. ) We'd be paid higher wages, over $90,000 on average.
C. ) A mixture of working less hours and receiving higher wages.

Thanks in large part to Technology, worker productivity has consistently increased as expected.  This means that workers have been consistently improving their efficiency, to all time highs. Which in turn has consistently increased profits for Corporations, to all time highs.

Workers now make more money for Corporations, this is reflected in the Corporate profits.  So why have wages lowered? and why have hours increased? the very opposite of what was predicted.

The Answer:

People work longer, for less, simply because Employer's have a larger number of workers to choose from.   

What two factors continue to make the workforce larger?

❖ Globalization - expanded the global workforce from 500 million to 2 billion, companies hired cheap labor immigrants and off-shored work. 

❖ Technology - continues to be the largest and primary destroyer of jobs.

Meanwhile a small minority, Corporations and their Investor's, have become rich beyond their wildest dreams.  As Workers have become more efficient, their Owners have pocketed the Worker's increased productivity, the extra profit, without having to pay the Worker any compensation.

So how did American Workers deal with stagnant wages? 

Americans have worked more, and more, but this still wasn't enough!  Inflation meant American's could no longer maintain their traditional lifestyle expenditure - they would need to adjust - but they didn't..

Corporations awash with this extra wealth that their Worker's were creating for them, spotted a second opportunity, a chance to double dip.  So after they paid themselves large managerial wage increases the likes the world has never seen before, they did this...

They took the extra wealth created by the Worker, that traditionally would have been used to increase the Worker wage.  Then loaned it back to the Worker via bank loans and credit cards... with interest. 

As a result, Employer's became even richer, massive economic inequality developed, stock market's went wild, personal debt level's soared, a credit bubble burst and the workers, aka the general population, suffered one last blow, they lost around half of their wealth, eighteen years worth of savings.   

Americans today are still working increasingly longer, without compensation in the broader sense, for little in a statistical sense, but fiercely to maintain a level of lifestyle would be comfortably possible if economic benefits were shared as they once always were.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: July 14, 2012, 04:25:30 pm »

Voting...

I personally think it would work if you could vote for what you want done with your tax dollars. :P Or your democratic decision-making power. Otherwise you have no choice but to vote for one liar or another who's going to go back on his promises.

Not only that, if a political leader actually tries to significantly change the world, he tends to get shot in the head. To make an American example: If Obama actually followed through on his promises he'd have been shot in the head too, but nope, he's being a good little boy and doing what he's told by his true masters, whoever they may be.

It's not much different up here in Canada, but as far as I recall nobody who tried to make a difference has ever been in power here. :P Maybe some of those good old fashioned politicians that supposedly existed back before my day... But I'm skeptical.

Either way, democracy would be nice. I'd like to see it actually exist some time before I'm dead, but that would require a major overhaul of society, replacing all the corporations with democratically run workplaces at the very least. I'm not sure how quickly such a thing can occur against the will of the rulership...
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: July 14, 2012, 06:41:21 pm »

Impose birth control! Eat the poor! Instate human eugenics! Destroy the computers! Break some eggs to make lemonade!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: July 14, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »

What are you going on about?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: July 14, 2012, 07:07:35 pm »

Sounds like alternating caricatures of the major political parties, as constructed by loonies of the opposing major party, in the US. Then a generic mixed metaphor that I do not actually understand.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: July 14, 2012, 07:19:52 pm »

I modestly propose that we must break some omelettes to soylent the lemonade groves.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3356 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:55 pm »

Now introducing: Soylent Soda! "How's it taste," you ask? It differs from person to person.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: July 15, 2012, 01:25:24 am »

Now introducing: Soylent Soda! "How's it taste," you ask? It differs from person to person.

Well, some people just have really bad taste.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: July 15, 2012, 01:48:21 am »

Some folk don't taste very nice, is basically what we're getting at.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: July 15, 2012, 03:43:45 am »

MrHappy is one of the guys who show up once in a while on these forums and ends up being enlightened in his own way is all. He is on his dream journey so to speak if that is more relateable except in waking internet form. Also how the hell do you spell relateable? The spellchecker doesn't recognize it and the grammatical security my robot teacher provides is reassuring.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:51:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 297