Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290533 times)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3060 on: May 04, 2012, 01:07:45 am »

Personally I'm wondering a bit about what if any effect the movement on the establishment so far. You vote for the Senate/Congress/local stuff (I really don't know my American government system beyond top level) in Autumn as well, right? Any politicians catering to the "OWS" people? Do you have any spokespeople going up for vote themselves?
Most states* have a system that mimics the Federal system (or vice-verse): Each state is split into counties which then vote for representatives to a state senate, a state house and a governor (which mimics the President). Many states also elect other executive officers, such as Attorney General.

*aka every State but Nebraska, which has a unicameral congress comprised of a senate.

The more you know! [Insert rainbow here].

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: May 10, 2012, 04:09:32 am »

Was just clued into this by Occupy the Police/Police for the 99% -- somewhere between 16,000 and 20,000 police are about to march through London in protest.  Unfortunately, it looks like it's mainly about budget cuts to law enforcement, rather than corruption or police behavior.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: May 10, 2012, 04:47:25 am »

Now awaiting ironic beating of marching bobbies by overzealous bobbies.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:27 am »

I was happy to see this article, because I'm tired of hearing constant victim-blaming bullshit about my generation.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 12, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »

I feel as if this deserves a bump. Has anything happened that we should know of?

Fairly large May Day rallies, some more violence, Occupy is gearing up for the NATO meeting in Chicago.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3065 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:13 pm »

I feel as if this deserves a bump. Has anything happened that we should know of?

Fairly large May Day rallies, some more violence, Occupy is gearing up for the NATO meeting in Chicago.

Oooooh that sounds like it might be interesting. When is the meeting?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 14, 2012, 01:42:49 pm »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: May 14, 2012, 06:16:10 pm »

So, this caught my attention this morning.  The CEO of JP Morgan takes full responsibility for the firm losing 10% of its stock price over the last month because of wantonly bad predictions, and said effectively, "We totally fucked up, and we should have been regulated better."

When the CEO of JP Morgan is saying his company needs to be regulated more so they don't cause panic-ripples in the economy when they hedge bad bets, how much longer until a government agency is supposed to take him at his word?

And now, I've got minecarts to play with.  Aqizzar out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: May 14, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »

Well he needed to do something to shift some of his "full responsibility" elsewhere.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 14, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

Well he needed to do something to shift some of his "full responsibility" elsewhere.

I saw the full interview, and I actually do give him some credit for being forthright.  He didn't try to pretend that either his company or himself were blameless, he just made a rational point that better regulation was one thing that would have helped, by stopping his financial officers from making trades they never should have made in the first place.  Basically, he said regulation would have protected his company from its own stupidity (which is really only a moral argument in the sense of how much damage JP Morgan can do with stupidity), but that doesn't annul anything that did happen.

Now, I don't doubt that those people who got the axe still got their crapload of severance and pension too, but I take promising news where I find it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

Y'know, if I had money to invest, and knew the actual mechanics for doing so, I'd buy a share in JP Morgan as my way of indicating satisfaction with at least owning up to the fuckup, if it weren't for the fact that I also know there's a good chance it would be read as, "I don't actually care if you fuck up, just take my money".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 14, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »

Which full interview?  I guess it as a whole could paint a better picture, but stuff like
Quote from: Dimon
This is a stupid thing that we should never have done but we're still going to earn a lot of money this quarter so it isn`t like the company is jeopardized
Does not scream "taking full responsibility" to me.  To me taking full responsibility involves resigning/ cutting into your enormous pay package (which I guess Ina Drew at least did) rather than acting contrite while also trying to play it down and saying that other people messed up.

I just... feel like I've seen politicians play this exact act a lot.  Gordon Brown accidentally provided the perfect quote:
Quote from: Brown
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that was responsible went immediately.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 14, 2012, 07:55:46 pm »

Which full interview?  I guess it as a whole could paint a better picture, but stuff like
Quote from: Dimon
This is a stupid thing that we should never have done but we're still going to earn a lot of money this quarter so it isn`t like the company is jeopardized
Does not scream "taking full responsibility" to me.  To me taking full responsibility involves resigning/ cutting into your enormous pay package (which I guess Ina Drew at least did) rather than acting contrite while also trying to play it down and saying that other people messed up.

I just... feel like I've seen politicians play this exact act a lot.  Gordon Brown accidentally provided the perfect quote:
Quote from: Brown
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that was responsible went immediately.
Well to be fair to Dimon, the company is only going to lose a 5th or so of it's profits over this (/sarcasm). '
Y'know, if I had money to invest, and knew the actual mechanics for doing so, I'd buy a share in JP Morgan as my way of indicating satisfaction with at least owning up to the fuckup, if it weren't for the fact that I also know there's a good chance it would be read as, "I don't actually care if you fuck up, just take my money".
Most of the reason the stock is down is because investors expect this will mean more regualtion, meaning the banks will likely be less porifitable in the future, not that the bet itself did much damage to morgan. It makes like 36B a year, and has assets of approximatly 2.4T last time I checked (this morning).
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »

Interview with a major Anonymous organizer
Q. What’s next for Anonymous?
A: Right now we have access to every classified database in the U.S. government.
o_o  So when is Anonymous going to inform us about the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 297