Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290574 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3000 on: April 16, 2012, 08:35:32 pm »

You've a problem there, Mr. Palau. Anti-nuclear activists tend not to know shit about nuclear power. Almost every one I've spoken to (many) have tried to tell me that they produce more radiation than coal plants (wildly untrue), that this new 'Fusion' stuff they're trying is going to be 'even more destructive' (It won't even leave byproducts), and that reactors are dangerous at all times. (Only when they are never maintained a la Chernobyl or the inspectors were lazy bastards a la Fukushima.) I would put far more trust in the nuclear scientists. On the other hand, better to have anti-nuclear activists than politicians who don't even have an interest in the matter.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »

In addition, Chernobyl is pretty much the perfect storm of nuclear catastrophe. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

Inspector incompetence aside, Fukushima was also kind of an extreme situation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »

You've a problem there, Mr. Palau. Anti-nuclear activists tend not to know shit about nuclear power. Almost every one I've spoken to (many) have tried to tell me that they produce more radiation than coal plants (wildly untrue), that this new 'Fusion' stuff they're trying is going to be 'even more destructive' (It won't even leave byproducts), and that reactors are dangerous at all times. (Only when they are never maintained a la Chernobyl or the inspectors were lazy bastards a la Fukushima.) I would put far more trust in the nuclear scientists. On the other hand, better to have anti-nuclear activists than politicians who don't even have an interest in the matter.
Yeah I know, they are just there as devils advocates. I was thinking maybe 60-40 Nuclear engineers, with the activists just there to kill anything that didn't have a strong majority of engineers and just bug the engineers about anything that could coneivably(wow speeling fail) go wrong.

If it was all nuclear engineers and no other side I feel like they could become too centered on the self interest of nuclear engineers and advance their interests at the expense of other people. The other purpose of the activists is to act as a fail safe agianst this. Some engineers would be bound to be moral and hence if the rest were immoral the moral ones could team up with the activists to stop the immoral engineers from just catering to their self interest.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:00:26 pm by Mr. Palau »
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »

Why not just have traditional representatives and let get experts to testify if they have any questions?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:47 pm »

I think the response to that is, "How well has that been working out so far?"

General answer: "Not as poorly as it could be."

Personal stance: We could seriously use more expert influence when dealing with technical or specialized fields. I.e. some degree of educational experience required for school board position, some degree of technological exposure required to chime in on issues of technology, ditto that for particular technological fields -- Internet infrastructure, nuclear engineering, etc., so forth.

Actually knowing head from arse re. the matter at hand seems important to me, and it's not something traditional representatives guarantee :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 16, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »

Well one of the basic tenants of representative governments is the people having a voice in matters. Often matters they know nothing about. So while it would be nice to have experts always chiming in, constituents are an important factor as well.

If the majority of the people don't want nuclear power, why should the representative vote for it? It's not what the people they're representing want, even though it might be superior to other alternatives.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:34 pm »

Yeah thats why soritition is based on represting the group you are slecting represntatives from. There would finally be a goernment made up of mostly woman (51% of population so 51 percent of seats in every committie or body).
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »

I personally would much rather a random Joe over a nuclear engineer when deciding these things.  An average joe is coming at it tabula rasa or as close to that as you can expect.  A nuclear engineer is someone who is very much inclined towards nuclear energy.  It's the same reason that we don't compose juries of cops.

I can see the merits of soritition.  But the main appeal is that it's directly without filtering.  It's the only system that gives a millionaire and a hobo equal voice.  If you start biasing the system in favor of people who are members in good standing of elite fields you are merely replacing one oligarchy with another.  Much better to just go with proportional representation where there is at least an incentive to represent any view that isn't being represented.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: April 16, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »

I personally would much rather a random Joe over a nuclear engineer when deciding these things.  An average joe is coming at it tabula rasa or as close to that as you can expect.

What?

No really. What. random Joe is not only going to be biased from all the Nuclear fear mongering that goes around, but will have his perspective shaped not by actual knowledge of what's going on but the crap that get spewed when new hosts try to sound smart. How about a monkey then? just put it in front of two button and let it pick. That's as unbiased as you can get, seeing as unbiased is apparently more important then actual knowledge in this situation.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:44 pm »

Yeah, power to the people sounds like a great idea until you take a long hard look at said people :-[
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »

When the topic is a thing that can be plausibly understood by an average citizen without additional education beyond a few minutes' explanation, then you probably don't need to bias toward expert involvement. Otherwise, you get people on Education committees that think biological evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics*.

*Does not represent an opinion one way or the other on the overall validity of biological evolution, but a claim about the validity of one particularly stupid argument attempting to debunk it. This thread, much like the rest of the Internet, is not the place for discussing the larger topic.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:29 am »

I personally would much rather a random Joe over a nuclear engineer when deciding these things.  An average joe is coming at it tabula rasa or as close to that as you can expect.

What?

No really. What. random Joe is not only going to be biased from all the Nuclear fear mongering that goes around, but will have his perspective shaped not by actual knowledge of what's going on but the crap that get spewed when new hosts try to sound smart. How about a monkey then? just put it in front of two button and let it pick. That's as unbiased as you can get, seeing as unbiased is apparently more important then actual knowledge in this situation.

Unbiased does not mean ignorant.  An unbiased jury means one without a prior interest in the case, not one that doesn't see any evidence.  Just because we want unbiased doesn't mean we fetishize it.

It's not like we'd pick them off the street and tell them to make decisions without any additional information.

When the topic is a thing that can be plausibly understood by an average citizen without additional education beyond a few minutes' explanation, then you probably don't need to bias toward expert involvement. Otherwise, you get people on Education committees that think biological evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics*.

*Does not represent an opinion one way or the other on the overall validity of biological evolution, but a claim about the validity of one particularly stupid argument attempting to debunk it. This thread, much like the rest of the Internet, is not the place for discussing the larger topic.

That's because they are ideological, not stupid.  Yes some of them are stupid but plenty of them are smart enough to understand if their ideology didn't get in the way.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: April 17, 2012, 01:22:12 am »

Lemme point out that "What should be done" decisions don't generally require any sort of expert opinion, except when explicitly dealing with a highly technical topic. So for what I'm saying, you don't (for instance) need a bunch of generals deciding whether you go to war over some international incident, but you would want them for figuring out how you do it and what's a feasible option or acceptable cost. This is already what is done, by my understanding of the military, you basically just extend this principle to information technology, education, environmental regulation, etc. (EDIT: If it worked the way I'd like it to, which it doesn't since the "This is done in some areas already" part of my last sentence doesn't apply to the rest of this post) The non-experts contribution goes as far as, "Yeah, we think there needs to be less smog," and mutual veto power (the non-experts for impractical costs, the experts for impractical goals, though that's an extension of existing principle).

Also, everybody would get a pony because it is equally plausible and will probably work out about as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:24:12 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:43 am »

When he said nuclear engineers are biased towards nuclear energy, I think he means: Why would an engineer get into that field, and stay there, if he didn't think it was a swell idea?

:P

If that didn't need clarification, I'll just be sitting in the corner of the thread. Watching.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3014 on: April 17, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

The average person is incredibly misinformed and biased about nuclear energy from decades of exposure to anti-nuclear media, propaganda and outright lies.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 297