Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290581 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2970 on: April 11, 2012, 11:35:12 am »

How bout we move on, yes? Both of you are more interested in winning at this point than arriving at a correct solution. When that happens, the argument's done.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 11, 2012, 11:45:19 am »

How bout we move on, yes? Both of you are more interested in winning at this point than arriving at a correct solution. When that happens, the argument's done.

Moving on sounds great. I have; I'll also never talk with him again. So no worries.

In other news I'm making some progress dealing with people locally and getting some sort of schedule done with the group's unofficial leaders so I don't have to deal with the idiots. They're paying the $35 fee to the city now and they've written a letter of apology to the warehouse owner storing the supplies for coming down hard on him when he was nice enough to store stuff for free (when he usually charges for that sorta thing). If I play my cards right, he might provide the free storage again if I can assure him he won't have to deal with this shit again. We need his good will.

Frankly, I've had some triple dipped morons who are more concerned with their petulant youthful "screw the system man," attitude to get anything done. Thankfully, some persuasive leaders have emerged to control them a bit. I think honestly this is a fairly large problem with logistics and event organizing when you've got a shitload of pissed off people.

In short, pissing off your support network is a good way not to have one. Pissing off the people who know what they're doing and how to get it to you (for free) is also a good way to not have those around. Have other people noticed this? Had to deal with it? Have any constructive advice for how to handle it well? I actually don't want to come down heavy handed on anyone, but if there is a small group 4-6 individuals who are really screwing things up for the other 200-300 then...?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:53:07 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30:08 pm »

This is why I hate it when any form of insurance is called "protection". It's not, by any definition of the word, protection. It is replacement, or reimbursement. If you want protection, put your money in a safe or a vault. And buy guns.

/end rant
And spend all day every day guarding this vault?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 11, 2012, 08:44:24 pm »

This is why I hate it when any form of insurance is called "protection". It's not, by any definition of the word, protection. It is replacement, or reimbursement. If you want protection, put your money in a safe or a vault. And buy guns.

/end rant
And spend all day every day guarding this vault?
I'm pretty sure banks do it. Never said it had to be your personal vault. And guns for the things you can't put in a vault.

Or rely exclusively on insurance. Those wonderful companies are always looking out for you!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2974 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »

Yea. My mother lost both her primary residence and her rental property after hurricane Katrina damaged them when the insurance refused to pay for repairs.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:07 pm »

About five years ago I was beaten up and robbed of a watch. It was covered up by our home insurance, but the company refused to pay more than half it's price because, since we owned more than one house, the insurers of those other houses should pay for that. (Idle question: does that mean that I pay you half the quote as well? Aah, thought so).
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 14, 2012, 03:02:37 am »

10 Big Companies That Pay No Taxes (and Their Favorite Politicians)

Between 2008 and 2011, 26 major American corporations paid no net federal income taxes despite bringing in billions in profits, according to a new report (PDF) from the nonprofit research group Citizens for Tax Justice. CTJ calculates that if the companies had paid the full 35 percent corporate tax rate, they would have put more than $78 billion into government coffers.

Here's a look at the 10 most profitable tax evaders and the politicians their CEOs, employees, and PACs give the most money to.

Obama is on two of them.  He gets the 2nd and 4th biggest donations on the list, and is the top paid overall.

Interesting to see Ron Paul on there twice, especially on the payroll of a corporation with a major defense industry branch.  That's like out of character squared compared to what him and his supporters would like us to believe about him.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 14, 2012, 03:36:41 am »

How can a company pay negative taxes? Do they include stuff like subsidies in it?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:25 pm »

How can a company pay negative taxes? Do they include stuff like subsidies in it?

There are many ways companies reduce their tax burden.  Losses in one year can be subtracted from profits in a future year.  IIRC  Typically they can be carried up to five years.  They can claim depreciation on any capitol investments, such depreciation is subtracted from yearly profits.  They can get a tax credit for money spent on research.  They get a tax credit for money spent on employee healthcare.

If all of these tax credits end up outweighing the total claimed profit in a year, the company will have a negative tax liability.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 14, 2012, 04:17:09 pm »

Those dollar values are so small. How are you supposed to buy people with so little money?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:41 am »

Those dollar values are so small. How are you supposed to buy people with so little money?

I imagine it adds up.  This is a small list of only companies that paid no taxes.  Its focus isn't really on the political donations, but on the imbalance of paying no taxes while enjoying such huge profits.

On a quick search, the total amount spent on lobbying last year was $3.31 billion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:58 am »

Which is at the same time such a huge amount and such a tiny amount.  We could ban all political contributions and give all viable candidates enough public financing to make up the difference and it would be a drop in the bucket for the federal budget.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 15, 2012, 01:52:06 am »

I keep expecting that one of these days I'm going to find out that political donations have been made tax deductible.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 15, 2012, 06:30:09 am »

mainiac: they don't actually get money from the government, right? It's just like, theorical, and they effectively have a 0% tax rate. Right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:08 am »

mainiac: they don't actually get money from the government, right? It's just like, theorical, and they effectively have a 0% tax rate. Right?
Two words: tax refunds.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 297