Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290600 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2956 on: April 10, 2012, 03:32:07 pm »

A tasty blow against the Patriot Act and overzealous counter-terrorism policy in general.

And... more police killing innocent people and walking free for months afterwards, even though multiple recordings of the event by various people caught them acting on an obvious hate/power trip.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: April 10, 2012, 06:04:44 pm »

Because I don't like the bank I don't like, I'm considering organizing a day where craptons of people open up savings accounts with exactly a dollar. This is the minimum required to open an account under an old rule. This shall be done as politely and perkily as possible. Friday, the day paychecks are received....

Then the next day they shall come back and demand said dollar back and said account closed. This shall be done as hilariously as possible and also as slowly as possible. Monday, the day paychecks are often cashed....

Also, right around the first of the month to catch rent check deposits. It shall be glorious, and primarily out of my not liking bank, for reasons that are probably only vaguely related to many other people's reasons. Primarily, I detest their foreclosure litigation department, who has been upset they cannot trip me up despite repeated attempts to do so. I have immaculate records on eeeeeeeeeverything. :D You can't say I didn't send you something I was supposed to, because I know everything I ever sent out and when and to whom and what was in it and the exact certified mailing tracking number for everything :D.

I am professional to a fault until I become vindictive. I'll let you know when that happens.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »

Nothing wrong with being a vindictive professional.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: April 10, 2012, 06:08:16 pm »

I'm certain the guys at the counter, the only ones who will be affected, are incredibly deserving.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: April 10, 2012, 06:17:19 pm »

I'm certain the guys at the counter, the only ones who will be affected, are incredibly deserving.

Actually if done properly it will make their manager think the bank branch is busier than it is and they might get more paid hours. Moreover, It will effect far more than them. Did you know there are people who track people coming and going from banks? Started out as an anti bank robbery measure until marketing departments got a hold of it. It'll mess them up. It will also effect the customers and make their day harder, which might convince them to change banks. Long lines out the door and around the block will do that. That doesn't even touch the management tracking issues.

Quite frankly, if I really wanted to be terrible, I could cause a run on the bank if I make there be a very very very long line of people outside the bank demanding their money and looking terrified. If I wanted to be a complete dick about it, I could manage to organize it nationally at every single bank branch said bank had and destroy the entire bank. It's happened before in real life, so faking it and making it real is possible. Who the flying crap cares if the bank is solid or not? Are people going to see those books? No. If they were to hypothetically see hundreds of people who look scared shitless and banging outside the bank doors trying to get their money out on the news, they will think it is insolvent. Even if they were competent enough to act quickly and do a massive PR announcement and financial disclosure to dispel the rumors that the federal government was going to freeze every cent in the bank and forcibly take it over, due to impending collapse, the damage would be done.

That is of course, entirely hypothetical.

They won't let them protest peacefully so now they're "customers." You seriously don't know how much chaos I know how to cause....
:P

No no, I wouldn't actually do that. If I wanted the effect to be large, it would be. I'm planning on throttling it down quite a ways more along the level of an annoyance rather than corporate lethality.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:37:20 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »

Note to self;

Never piss off any vindictive professional lawyers with an understanding of financial history.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:46 am »

Um no.  This is not the 1920s.

Banks are FDIC insured these days.  While you can have a big investor panic like we saw in 2007, you can't have a flight of the small depositors.  Those deposits are all insured by the federal government.  If your bank goes under the government completely backs every cent you deposited up to a quarter million dollars.  After that quarter million dollar there is a whole big complicated world of other security options.  So the small money is 100% safe.  The big money isn't going to care a swallows' fart about your charade.

On the off chance that the bank you select actually is insolvent, all you will have done is made the FDIC move a few days or weeks faster.  You see, if the bank was indeed insolvent then the FDIC would already be preparing to recapitalize them under new ownership.  So even then you'd accomplish nothing but slightly speed up conglomeration.

The only case where the FDIC won't completely neutralize a panic would be some massive bank like Lehman Brothers.  But you literally can't imagine the scale of a panic that you would need to create to cause another Lehman Brothers collapse.  Their collapse was brought about by billions of dollars of losses (and losses are far worse then withdrawls, dollar for dollar) and it took a year to happen.  Just to cause a panic you'd literally need tens of millions of collaborators in a long, coordinated campaign not just against your target bank but against any bank or insurance agency that involves in overnight trading with them.  Good luck pulling that off.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: April 11, 2012, 12:48:37 am »

-stuff-
You are a veritable Bat-woman!

Who is apparently an actual thing. Huh, I thought it was Batman and Catwoman. But hey, you have the cat avatar. Whichever it is, you are as a female Batman.

The FDIC insures money, yes, but there's nothing it can do to stop mass withdrawals or account creations. There will still probably be the effect of people leaving the bank en masse, probably taking some other customers with them. The FDIC doesn't just give banks free money; people closing their accounts still loses money for the banks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:53 am »

Um no.  This is not the 1920s.

Banks are FDIC insured these days.  While you can have a big investor panic like we saw in 2007, you can't have a flight of the small depositors.  Those deposits are all insured by the federal government.  If your bank goes under the government completely backs every cent you deposited up to a quarter million dollars.  After that quarter million dollar there is a whole big complicated world of other security options.  So the small money is 100% safe.  The big money isn't going to care a swallows' fart about your charade.

On the off chance that the bank you select actually is insolvent, all you will have done is made the FDIC move a few days or weeks faster.  You see, if the bank was indeed insolvent then the FDIC would already be preparing to recapitalize them under new ownership.  So even then you'd accomplish nothing but slightly speed up conglomeration.

The only case where the FDIC won't completely neutralize a panic would be some massive bank like Lehman Brothers.  But you literally can't imagine the scale of a panic that you would need to create to cause another Lehman Brothers collapse.  Their collapse was brought about by billions of dollars of losses (and losses are far worse then withdrawls, dollar for dollar) and it took a year to happen.  Just to cause a panic you'd literally need tens of millions of collaborators in a long, coordinated campaign not just against your target bank but against any bank or insurance agency that involves in overnight trading with them.  Good luck pulling that off.

[reads script aloud] "Cynical overconfident college student enters stage right..." Right on time.

No.... I game the system every single solitary day on things people say I can't do. I don't fight fair.

You literally can't imagine what I can imagine and you don't understand the depositor system, period. The FDIC does not prevent bank collapses, it just makes sure if they DO collapse individual depositors don't lose their money. The only possible way the FDIC could prevent a bank collapse is by reassuring people. That's literally it. Your argument is completely illogical. An insurance company can't stop the loss from occurring; it only compensates you after.

1920? :D It seems you didn't read my post all the way through before you determined I didn't know what I was doing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_mutual That would be 2008. Took 9 days and the FDIC couldn't do jack shit.

I know exactly what I'm doing. I've been screwing with banks long before you started reading about them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:01:01 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:04 am »

This is why I hate it when any form of insurance is called "protection". It's not, by any definition of the word, protection. It is replacement, or reimbursement. If you want protection, put your money in a safe or a vault. And buy guns.

/end rant

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:58 am »

This is why I hate it when any form of insurance is called "protection". It's not, by any definition of the word, protection. It is replacement, or reimbursement.

Tell that to the Mafia.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

You literally can't imagine what I can imagine and you don't understand the depositor system, period.

Yes I really can.  You didn't lay out a single coherent channel through which your flash mob actually accomplishes a damn thing.

If you are going to call me a newb, then don't ignore basic history.  The FDIC stopped the bank runs in their tracks.

If what you said were actually possible it would be IMMENSELY profitable to use in a wide range of scenarios.  Yet it doesn't happen despite the fact that people with a lot more resources then you would love to do it.  What does this tell you?

In fact I'll make you an offer.  Pick a small bank, some place with only a few hundred million in deposits.  Arrange for it to go down according to this brilliant plan you have that no one in history ever thought of before.  Give me a few weeks prior notice.  I have some uncles/great uncles with experience in the financing side of mid sized businesses.  They could very easily arrange to make tens of millions of dollars of profit off the collapse of your target bank since you have prior knowledge.  Let's say, 80% of the profits are yours?

There's a catch of course.  You'd need to cover our losses if this shore thing of yours doesn't pan out.  A few millions from you and your collaborators should cover it.

So, what do you say, oh wise one who knows so much more then me?  Want to become a millionaire using this exceptional insight of yours?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:57:10 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:17 am »

You literally can't imagine what I can imagine and you don't understand the depositor system, period.

Yes I really can.  You didn't lay out a single coherent channel through which your flash mob actually accomplishes a damn thing.

If you are going to call me a newb, then don't ignore basic history.  The FDIC stopped the bank runs in their tracks.

If what you said were actually possible it would be IMMENSELY profitable to use in a wide range of scenarios.  Yet it doesn't happen despite the fact that people with a lot more resources then you would love to do it.  What does this tell you?

In fact I'll make you an offer.  Pick a small bank, some place with only a few hundred million in deposits.  Arrange for it to go down according to this brilliant plan you have that no one in history ever thought of before.  Give me a few weeks prior notice.  I have some uncles/great uncles with experience in the financing side of mid sized businesses.  They could very easily arrange to make tens of millions of dollars of profit off the collapse of your target bank since you have prior knowledge.  Let's say, 80% of the profits are yours?

There's a catch of course.  You'd need to cover our losses if this shore thing of yours doesn't pan out.  A few millions from you and your collaborators should cover it.

So, what do you say, oh wise one who knows so much more then me?  Want to become a millionaire using this exceptional insight of yours?

You may have noticed if you ever read anything at all: "No no, I wouldn't actually do that. If I wanted the effect to be large, it would be. I'm planning on throttling it down quite a ways more along the level of an annoyance rather than corporate lethality. " I didn't actually want to do it and that was way before you bothered to show up.

I say you've got a long history of ignoring my posts here and elsewhere and not getting the point. You aren't worth my time. I've got new law grads lining up to learn from me what their ignorant professors don't know. You can respond but I'll never bother reading another word you ever write. Consider yourself ignored.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:04:02 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:40 am »

Ah yes the grade school taunt.  "I totally could, I just don't want to."  Which has to be followed up by dissing me, for the sake of tradition if nothing else.

But you see...

Whether you want to do so or not is irrelevant.  There are plenty of people in the world without your ethics but with a far better understanding of financial markets.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 297