Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290690 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2790 on: February 29, 2012, 04:29:46 am »

And let us not forget, the OWS started in October, and they finally got around to protesting what you say they are originally for, the better part of 4 months later? 

And let us not forget, the OWS, since it started, protested continuously about exactly what SalmonGod stated. Occupy Congress was an event that was held when it seemed that such a gathering might be feasible.

Again, so why did it take them so long to actually figure out what to protest about? 

They did not establish a "general assembly" until a few weeks into the protest. 

Which contradicts their stated goal as being a leaderless organization. 

Which means that nobody could have been protesting for the same thing until they all agreed on what to actually protest about, or establish any of this group-think mentality.  This is why the whole thing was aimed at Wall Street in general before they actually realized that Obama is an empty suit and started demanding government rid itself of corruption (which as I have pointed out earlier, is rather bizarre). 

I'm seeing a ton of inconsistency here.  First, you agree that corrupt relationships between business and government are a problem.  Then, you say that it's pointless to protest the government, because it's not going to motivate them to police themselves.

Look at what the Tea Party did.  They had peaceful protests. 

All the OWS did was create public unrest, cause property damage and cost the taxpayers money through the overtime paid to all those cops who had to police the situation.  Their protests only resulted in them literally asking President Obama, who received the most amount of money from Wall Street in past 20 years, to police the whole administration and rid it of corruption. 

As I have pointed out, that will not work because he is already bought and owned by the same people the OWS were protesting.  The guy let Solyndra take $535 million of taxpayer money and blow it.  He hasn't even enacted any laws to fix the situation even when he had a democrat super majority when he took office. 

The whole idea of the OWS would have been better put to creating a political grassroots organization that will get people to actually vote.  They have literally accomplished nothing other than asking the government to rid itself of corruption (which I honestly find hilarious). 

The Tea Party has already pointed out what the OWS decided to protest about more than a year prior!  The Tea Party actually produced results in an election.  The Tea Party has actually elected candidates who are in the Tea Party caucus, a party that is for the reduction of government and getting rid of the corruption!  They even produce good music (this one is subjective *cough*)!

Then, you go on to state that the movement is somehow discredited..

They discredited themselves when they turned violent and started causing problems for the cities they were occupying.

I get the impression that the only way you'd be satisfied with the movement is if it were formed only for the purpose of getting Obama out of office.

I would be happy if it actually got people more motivated to vote period.  Yes, I would like to see Obama thrown out because, yes, I do believe that nothing will change unless he is tossed out.

Also, regular general assemblies in relation to the Occupy movement pre-date the occupation of Zucotti Park on Sep 17th as seen in the 2nd paragraph here, and they involved educated people with solid ideas.  David Graeber himself is a famous anthropologist who has held positions at multiple prestigious universities.

And I don't know what supposedly contradicts their goal of being leaderless.  The whole point of the general assembly is it is designed to be a leaderless format for very large group discussion and consensus decision-making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_wall_street#Goals
"Even with the perception of a movement with no leaders, leaders have emerged."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:27 am »

They discredited themselves when they turned violent and started causing problems for the cities they were occupying.

May I ask what in the flying fuck are you talking about?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 29, 2012, 04:59:36 am »

May I ask what in the flying fuck are you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street#Security_concerns_and_crime

"After several weeks of occupation, protesters had made enough allegations of sexual assault and gropings that women-only sleeping tents were set up."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_Occupy_Wall_Street#Criticism

"Protesters and community residents clashed at a standing room only Community Board One meeting October 20. Residents complained about inadequate sanitation, verbal taunts and harassment, noise, and related issues. One resident angrily complained that the protesters "[a]re defecating on our doorsteps"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/14/occupy-oaklands-port-blockade-creates-rift-with-working-americans/

Then Oakland decides to blockade a port for some reason.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 29, 2012, 05:03:40 am »

And let us not forget, the OWS started in October, and they finally got around to protesting what you say they are originally for, the better part of 4 months later? 

And let us not forget, the OWS, since it started, protested continuously about exactly what SalmonGod stated. Occupy Congress was an event that was held when it seemed that such a gathering might be feasible.

Again, so why did it take them so long to actually figure out what to protest about? 

Which means that nobody could have been protesting for the same thing until they all agreed on what to actually protest about, or establish any of this group-think mentality.  This is why the whole thing was aimed at Wall Street in general before they actually realized that Obama is an empty suit and started demanding government rid itself of corruption (which as I have pointed out earlier, is rather bizarre). 

I'm seeing a ton of inconsistency here.  First, you agree that corrupt relationships between business and government are a problem.  Then, you say that it's pointless to protest the government, because it's not going to motivate them to police themselves.

Aren't these the same people who brough guns to their protests and signs that said "next time, it'll be loaded"?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16:35 am »

Aren't these the same people who brough guns to their protests and signs that said "next time, it'll be loaded"?

Oh no, rhetoric!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 29, 2012, 05:38:31 am »

Okay, so some individuals aren't exactly great people. The barrier to entry for Occupy is basically zero; if you can stand in a park, you can occupy it. This means that no individual represents Occupy. The movement as a whole has, in fact remained incredibly peaceful in the face of systematic, inexcusable and extreme police brutality. If it had devolved into looting, like the UK student riots, that would have been 'turning violent'. What actually happened and is still happening was a triumph of self-restraint for the vast majority of protesters. For the port blockade, I'm not sure what was going on there either, but judging by the other articles written by the author, he's antagonistic towards the cause and almost certainly not telling the whole story; the fact that even he admits that some of the dockworkers supported the blockade is evidence that something was going on.

Causing problems is how protests get noticed; citizens protesting is a problem for a city. The portion of the government that is in bed with corporations had entirely ignored the complaints of the people until the inception of Occupy, so the protests are designed to raise awareness and either 'shame' (i.e. influence public opinion until serious boycotts become feasible) or overpower those portions.

Oh no, rhetoric!

Oh no, actual threats that are closer to 'turning violent' than Occupy ever got!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:06 am »

Yeah, NinjaBoot, that isn't rhetoric, that's a death threat.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 29, 2012, 06:28:59 am »

All the OWS did was create public unrest, cause property damage and cost the taxpayers money through the overtime paid to all those cops who had to police the situation.

On police overtime -- protesters are not responsible for the ways in which authorities react to them.

On the rest of that:  please substantiate.  Note: Being subject to violence is not the same as being violent.  Protesters are not responsible for property destruction by police in the course of their raids.  Finally, OWS did not cause any public unrest.  They ARE public unrest.  Tea Party protests, are also, by definition, public unrest.  They are the public demonstrating their dissatisfaction.  That's what public unrest IS.

Then, you go on to state that the movement is somehow discredited..

Nice job, btw, taking this out of context instead of responding to it.

Their protests only resulted in them literally asking President Obama, who received the most amount of money from Wall Street in past 20 years, to police the whole administration and rid it of corruption.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about here.  OWS mic-checked Obama on one occassion, to condemn him for his silence on the matter of widespread abuse suffered by the movement.  This is the only direct message the movement has ever sent to Obama.

As I have pointed out, that will not work because he is already bought and owned by the same people the OWS were protesting.  The guy let Solyndra take $535 million of taxpayer money and blow it.  He hasn't even enacted any laws to fix the situation even when he had a democrat super majority when he took office.

Yes.  I know you don't like Obama.  I don't like him either.  I know your specific beefs with him.  They're not the same as mine.  It doesn't really matter.  We had this out of the way a long time ago, and it has no relevance here.

The whole idea of the OWS would have been better put to creating a political grassroots organization that will get people to actually vote.  They have literally accomplished nothing other than asking the government to rid itself of corruption (which I honestly find hilarious).

I find it hilarious that you have obviously not bothered to actually communicate with a single Occupier directly (until now), because if you ever had, you would know this isn't true.  We could argue back and forth for a week about accomplishments.  I'm not going to bother.  It would be pointless.  What defines an accomplishment is subjective, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to agree on it. 

However, it is ridiculous to say that OWS hasn't done anything but ask the government to fix itself, especially when your very first criticism was that they chose to target Wall Street first instead of going straight for D.C.  If you're going to condemn based on your personal expectations, could you please at least make up your mind on what those expectations are?  You're literally saying that they should have done/be doing two opposite things at the same time.

They have openly criticized both business and government.  They have also put out both very broad and very specific demands, including support for specific laws to be passed.

But what you need to realize is that nobody among the Occupy movement actually expects these demands to be met just because they're asking.  They only put them out because their critics and the media have constantly hounded them for it (and still continue to insist that no demands have ever been produced).

OWS' primary focus has not been to influence business or government.  In fact, its overriding message is that those institutions cannot be trusted to fix the problems that they created to benefit them at the expense of everyone else.  This is why it has made deliberate effort to avoid being defined by narrow demands, catchy soundbites, or snatching up into political status quo.  It's up to the populace to gather together and implement their own solutions.  It's a call to action to educate each other, build community bonds, explore different ways of living and supporting each other, and figure out how to deal with oppression at the hands of a body of power that does not care about them.

The Tea Party has already pointed out what the OWS decided to protest about more than a year prior!

The Tea Party pointed out similar things, but they had a very different style and focus.  As I recall, their very first protests imitated the Boston Tea Party from which it took its name, and like the Boston Tea Party, it was concerned primarily with taxes.  It's had a clearly libertarian agenda from the very beginning, which is for the reduction or complete elimination of government in favor of a world run entirely by the "free market". 

FYI, I don't personally have anything against the Tea Party movement.  I have a friend who is an avid Ron Paul supporter and considers himself a Tea Partier (and grumbles often about the hijacking of the movement).  I have had hours upon hours of debates with him and he is a very well informed person.  I almost always agree with him about the nature of our problems and their origins.  What I can almost never agree with him on is solutions. 

The impression I've got about the Tea Party is it tends not to be concerned with corruption on the business side of things and only with the government side of things.  They believe that corruption in business isn't possible without government and/or will sort itself out in the absence of government influence.  The general belief among OWS, on the other hand, is that this would only lead to the ultra wealthy holding absolute power with no obstacles.  The reason economic equality is so bad is because government, previously the only barrier to unstoppable abuse by the wealthy, became poisoned with money and stopped doing its job.

Now we could argue for fucking ever about political ideologies here.  That's not necessary for this discussion.  My point with this is that just because the Occupy movement isn't serving YOUR agenda doesn't mean it isn't doing anything.  You can complain all you want that it isn't doing the things you want it to do, but I will call you out on every step if you don't base your insults on factual content.

The Tea Party actually produced results in an election.  The Tea Party has actually elected candidates who are in the Tea Party caucus, a party that is for the reduction of government and getting rid of the corruption!  They even produce good music (this one is subjective *cough*)!

How convenient for you that the movement you favor has actually had the opportunity to influence a major election.  Occupy has not yet had that opportunity, so it isn't fair to condemn them on the basis that they haven't done this.  FYI, various chapters are putting forth their own candidates.  Barbarossa would be in a much better position to inform you on that subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_wall_street#Goals
"Even with the perception of a movement with no leaders, leaders have emerged."

Yeah?  Why don't you quote the rest of that paragraph?

Even with the perception of a movement with no leaders, leaders have emerged. A facilitator of some of the movement's more contentious discussions, Nicole Carty, says “Usually when we think of leadership, we think of authority, but nobody has authority here,” - “People lead by example, stepping up when they need to and stepping back when they need to.”[79] According to Fordham University communications professor Paul Levinson, Occupy Wall Street and similar movements symbolize another rise of direct democracy that has not actually been seen since ancient times.[80][81]

Not quite the kind of leadership you seem to be suggesting.....
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: February 29, 2012, 07:19:27 am »

I still think it's funny how the Syrian civil war is still occurring yet the only mention of Occupy is the sign at a local Flaming Joe's that reads: "Occupy Joe's lol"

I still think the effort would be expended in a much more useful way in the political system. But I've been over that.

How is Occupy? Have they gained some organization yet? Or fizzled out? Because they should just go Teddy Roosevelt's way and make their own party in the upcoming election. Stalin-Left or not, I'd vote for it compared to what we have.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2799 on: February 29, 2012, 07:23:26 am »

There's been a lot of discourse about the connection between government and business, about how if our government is in any way going to pretend it isn't a bundle of hypocrisy it should hold bankers accountable, etc. I'm honestly surprised you haven't seen any of it, even if it is correct to assume you haven't looked too deep into the movement.

You are assuming I haven't seen it.  You could have saved yourself a bunch of words by asking me the question directly. 

What I am saying is that people seem to associate corruption solely with the Republican party, as if the democrats have been completely devoid of any sort of corruption.

Then I think it's alright to assume you haven't looked too deeply if you've only seen people talking about the big bad Republicans.

I suppose it would be too late to point out that their protesting do not really accomplish anything.  Did it bring any more attention to what was already widely known?  No, since most of what the OWS was protesting about has already been said by the Tea Party a year prior.

Neat-o's. I guess that's why we're talking in "The Tea Party Educates All!" thread, right? That's also why the Tea Party was/is a global movement, with supporters even in communist countries, right? That's also why the Tea Party was able to get all of its information out without the help of mass media, right?

Oh wait...

However, simply acknowledging that should also lead one to conclude that if Wall Street is to blame, then were was a major failing on the part of the government to not protect the citizenry; such a failing may or may not be forgiven, but if the government does not place new restrictions or takes measures to prevent such action in the future or does not hold accountable those at fault, then opinion of the government will probably be much worse.

The government isn't going to police itself.  That is akin to asking a criminal to watch a bank and set policy, his salary, etc. 

The very same government that let this whole mess take place, and you would rather let them police themselves is not going to produce the results you are looking for.  Government officials only answer to a motivated voting public that is not afraid to toss their asses out the next election if they fuck up.

Look at what the Tea Party did the last senatorial election.

...  Okay? Did you actually read what I said, you know, about the whole "opinion of the government"? When you've got a "motivated voting public" that's saying "REGULATE OR WE'RE THROWING YOU OUT OF OFFICE", then, you know, we're on the same page here.

The Tea Party is a political party that is backed by citizens who actually want to see change happen in the Government.  I suggest you read up on them.

You assume I haven't read up on them. At first I was all like "Wowzerz, they are actually trying to change things, it's closer to a populous movement!" Then I was like "Ohz, they are pretty much a redefinition of Republicans with more political brainwashing and theocratic policies." Disagree with me all you want here, I highly doubt you'll change my opinion of them.

The only thing I really like about them is their liberal (Ha!) application of the right to bear arms; however, I dislike the attitude in which they exercise it.

So why the need to illegally occupy public

Wasn't illegal when they started doing it. Public officials began using reactionary methods to deal with them.

I suppose it depends on what the laws say regarding the use of public property (Anybody knowledgeable about this please correct me if I am wrong!).  I believe there are laws regarding assembling for a specific amount of time to protest in a public place.  This would involve buying permits to do so, since I have read about the Tea Party demanding their money back for paying for permits to protest in the cities where the OWS protested later and the same local governments didn't press them for anything.

This brought up a lot of issues, though. I think a big case can be made about how it's unconstitutional if there's a time limit set for protests. To me, that sounds too much like justified oppression. If you've got a major protest, and it's not going away, there's a problem, and instead of trying to fix the problem, you fix the protests. Constitutionally, a group should be able to protest as long as they want. A semi-permanent protest is a clear sign that something is wrong to begin with, especially if the protest is large enough to prevent other members of the public from using public areas.

around the country?

...   I'm not even sure how to address that. Are you ignoring logistics, the lack of a central base of power for the OWS, the need to be public with the protests, etc.?

From what I have read, it appears the OWS is actually more about a leaderless, more horizontal structure (ie: more indians, less chiefs) which allows them to be somewhat flexible in what they do. 

The OWS protests are going on around the country (even the world.. Occupy Grand Prairie, WTF?), yes.. Oakland and NYC are the two biggest places where they have taken hold.  Nearly every other city has varying degrees to how many people are protesting.

Right... but putting that in the question you asked seemed like asking "Why are they everywhere and not in one central place?", which you pretty much just answered yourself there. 

The individuals knew what to protest about; essentially, anything and everything they didn't like, as long as they also thought Wall Street was in the wrong for the economic state of the country/world (it was Occupy Wall Street, after all).

Because they needed to see how many people showed up. If there were just going to be fifteen, they could figure it out themselves. Since there was a -lot- more than that, then they had to start organizing even more. Since this is a leaderless movement, even the organization had to happen rather democratically, which slowed things down, and not everyone's cut out to organize a large group of people. It's honestly no surprise it took them that long.

In what way? As in my above post, it's perfectly possible with being a leaderless organization.

Which means that nobody could have been protesting for the same thing until they all agreed on what to actually protest about, or establish any of this group-think mentality.

Except they were. The entrance fee was pretty much "Protest about Wall Street." They just also had a lot more to protest about, especially as they started getting either no press or horribly bias press (that is, now they had great reason to protest the press). The most reliable news outlet at the time, if I recall correctly, was Russia Today. I find that pretty funny/ironic.

This is why the whole thing was aimed at Wall Street in general before they actually realized that Obama is an empty suit and started demanding government rid itself of corruption (which as I have pointed out earlier, is rather bizarre).

As if you're saying that now the entire protest is against Obama, which it isn't (to my knowledge anyway). You also have to take into account the possible violation of the Constitution by setting a limit on protesting (protest-worthy), police violence (protest-worthy), public policy decisions being made at the time (protest-worthy) and a growing education about what really happened during the bail-out (which got more people protesting against the government).

Unless you're saying that demanding government rid itself of corruption is bizarre, in which case, yeah, I agree with you. However, demanding that is the first step. The next step, if no one's going to change for you, is to force that change yourself.

You should seriously do your homework on this before making such claims.

I would like to think that I know enough about it to educate you on what it really is.  But then again, opinions are like assholes and everybody has two!

I don't know, I think I'm educating you on what it's really about, not the other way around.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2800 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:12 am »

Yet, you have made allusions to any laws stating the classification you speak of, and you have yet again stooped to using a psychological rhetoric (repeating "you are wrong") instead of actually pointing out where I'm wrong.

I on the other hand, just read another article on Tennessee v. Garner and have a better understanding of the fleeing felon rule.
No. I will not submit. No. I will not relent.

I am going to keep saying that you are wrong until you stop being wrong. You are defending a killer to go unpunished, denying justice, endorsing criminal and unethical behavior by the police and even endorsing the assault and killing of helpless victims.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:24 pm »

Yet, you have made allusions to any laws stating the classification you speak of, and you have yet again stooped to using a psychological rhetoric (repeating "you are wrong") instead of actually pointing out where I'm wrong.

I on the other hand, just read another article on Tennessee v. Garner and have a better understanding of the fleeing felon rule.
No. I will not submit. No. I will not relent.

I am going to keep saying that you are wrong until you stop being wrong. You are defending a killer to go unpunished, denying justice, endorsing criminal and unethical behavior by the police and even endorsing the assault and killing of helpless victims.
Boyo, there's a line between arguing a stance with confidence and being fallacious--you've crossed it. You've put nothing new on the table, and are now stooping to psychological tricks and baseless, nigh on offensive rhetoric.

So, if you're going to keep on insisting that I'm wrong, please do point out where exactly I'm wrong (do remember that there are even hypthetical elements to my argument) and back up your claims.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »

Isn't there a term for this sort of thing?

"X is bad, so I will abandon previously held ideals in pursuit of fighting it." Such ideals all too often include presuming innocence until proven guilty, respecting rights, etc. Generally a sign the person you're arguing with is irrational, stuck in their own circular argument.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:40 pm »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »

Tvtropes is really only good for discussing fiction. Art mimics life and all that, but there are better sources.

Regardless, yeah that's the mentality I'm seeing in Nadaka's post. Probably a better term for it than "knight templar" though.

Random offtopic anecdote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 297