Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289009 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2730 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:57 pm »

Tazers ARE lethal weapons. They have killed thousands.

Statistics? 

And as opposed to.. what?  How else to you expect police to ensure compliance with criminals who are disorderly and refuse to follow instructions. 

If he tackled her, she would still have had partial control of her body as she fell. Protecting yourself in a fall is instinctual.

How do you know she would have had the reaction time to properly adjust herself?  What if the drugs impaired her reaction time?  What if the cop tackled her at the legs, or around the overbody, thus restricting her ability to protect herself? 

You have to remember here, this is a fully grown male cop who is going to attempt to tackle a female who is obviously alot smaller than he is.  Are you implying he would have tackled her with just the right amount of force? 

Or he could have grabbed her without tackling her.

Who is to say she wasn't faster then he is?

Or he could have talked her down.

Yeah, right.. good luck trying to talk down a feeling suspect who was arrested for being involved in a few accidents a few hours prior to all of this.

All police officers are trained on the use of less lethal weapons and their responsibilities in their use. He violated those responsibilities.

This wouldn't have been an issue if she didn't try to run in the first place.  Drugs or not, she made a decision to get up and run away.  If she was too heavily influenced by those drugs to think straight, then why was she doing what she did in the first place?  Where does individual responsibility begin?  Hell, where were her friends to keep her from going batshit crazy enough to be involved in multiple accidents while under such influence? 

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2731 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:02 pm »

This wouldn't have been an issue in the first place IF THE FUCKING PIG DIDN'T MURDER HER. He knew exactly what he was doing and made the conscious intentional decision to break the law he swore to uphold, to take her life in his hands and end it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2732 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:59 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues#Deaths_and_injuries_related_to_Taser_use

The head of the U.S. southern regional office of Amnesty International, Jared Feuer, reported that 277 people in the United States have died after being shocked by a Taser between June 2001 and October 2007, which has already been documented.

Tasers have been around longer than that, IIRC, so the total deaths caused by taser in the US is probably quite a bit higher.

If they use tasers in the PRC or other large countries (not sure if they do, personally, and I'm too lazy to check because I have no dog in this fight), it's safe to assume the deaths would be in the thousands. Especially because I would imagine the PRC cops would be much less likely to use the taser judiciously than their American counterparts.

This wouldn't have been an issue in the first place IF THE FUCKING PIG DIDN'T MURDER HER. He knew exactly what he was doing and made the conscious intentional decision to break the law he swore to uphold, to take her life in his hands and end it.

Er, I actually think tasers should NOT be used in such situations, but I definitely think you are overstating this. A LOT. I highly, highly doubt 'the fucking pig' intentionally tried to murder her. You would not typically fire a taser at someone EXPECTING it to kill them. If he had intended to kill her, he could have just shot her.

Not a great judgment call on his part, and I dislike the use of tasers as weapons of convenience. But to call him an intentional murderer is really taking it too far. Especially in such clear terms; you really think he decided 'I'm going to end this person's life - with a taser, of all things'? Guess he had the cop shop up the voltage on that thing beforehand, eh?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:05:01 pm by Lord Dullard »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01:47 pm »

What? Are we talking about something else? He tased her. Tasing someone is not the same as deciding to kill them. Is what lemon10 said in dispute?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

If you fire a tazer at someone, then you are taking the chance that you will kill them. It isn't a certainty, like with a gun, but it's far from impossible. When you do that, you are implicitly and knowingly putting another person's life up to chance, and that isn't acceptable for a tool of compliance. A tazer isn't a lethal weapon, but it isn't a nonlethal weapon either. It's less-than-lethal, and as such is only fit for situations where direct harm may come to another person but is not so extreme that the use of outright lethal force is justified.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: February 27, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »

If he chased her down and tazed her on a soft surface... Like, you know, grass? Then this probably wouldn't have happened. It wasn't the tazing that did her in, but the impact.

So, with that said, I advocate tazing only in situations where it is unavoidable (like coming at you with a gun despite repeated warnings) or where there is extremely minimal risk. I.E. they're not covered in something flammable, they're not gonna fall on something hard, and they're not hopped up on so much PCP that anything less than a lethal charge wont bring them down.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: February 27, 2012, 10:43:46 pm »

So your saying he fully intended for her to fall down after being tazered so she would hit her head and cause permanent brain injuries? 

And, uh.. we wouldn't even be talking about this if she, uh.. didn't ingest drugs and cause some accidents prior to being booked?  Oh, yes.. right, we will disregard what people have done in regards to breaking the law if they somehow end up being hurt in the process. 

So by your logic, the police used excessive force in dealing with all those mass-shooters around the country. 

Taking it further, Obama letting Osama Bin Laden be killed instead of captured for good old waterboarding was an evil act.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:46:09 pm by NinjaBoot »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:55 pm »

So by your logic, the police used excessive force in dealing with all those mass-shooters around the country. 

Why are you trying to say that drug use and mass murder are at all comparable?
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: February 27, 2012, 11:15:56 pm »

So your saying he fully intended for her to fall down after being tazered so she would hit her head and cause permanent brain injuries? 

And, uh.. we wouldn't even be talking about this if she, uh.. didn't ingest drugs and cause some accidents prior to being booked?  Oh, yes.. right, we will disregard what people have done in regards to breaking the law if they somehow end up being hurt in the process. 

Taking it further, Obama letting Osama Bin Laden be killed instead of captured for good old waterboarding was an evil act.

It does not matter that she was a drug user or criminal or lower class at all. How fucking evil do you have to be to think its ok to murder a helpless girl because she is lower class? What kind of damn monster are you? That is effectively what you are saying.

It also does not matter that the perpetrator in this case is a cop, except that he has been trained in his duty and sworn to uphold and obey the law. He violated that sacred oath and should be held to a higher standard, not have his crimes dismissed because you think the victim is trash.

The only thing that matters is wither or not she posed a immediate physical threat of harm to another human being. And she clearly was not. Shooting an armed spree killer in the middle of killing a group of people is a completely different thing.

And as a matter of fact, yes killing Osama Bin Laden was wrong because justice is not served by the mere death of a bad man. He should have been captured, treated with human dignity, given a fair trial and THEN executed.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »

For the record, the biggest reason not capturing Osama Bin Laden was unfortunate is because he probably had a lot of useful information that we will now never be able to acquire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:53 pm »

Ninjaboot.  Who the fuck here has said that the girl shouldn't be held responsible for her actions?

What we are saying:

Did she deserve to be arrested and put through legal processes to determine what punishments or rehabilitation procedures were appropriate in her case?  Sure.  Did she deserve to be killed extra-legally?  No.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: February 27, 2012, 11:47:17 pm »

It does not matter that she was a drug user or criminal or lower class at all. How fucking evil do you have to be to think its ok to murder a helpless girl because she is lower class? What kind of damn monster are you? That is effectively what you are saying.

How do you know what the police officer was thinking?

And lower class?  Where did that come from?  Unless you naturally associated crime with the lower class, then why are you even mentioning that?  Or are you implying this would be less of an issue if she was rich?

It also does not matter that the perpetrator in this case is a cop, except that he has been trained in his duty and sworn to uphold and obey the law. He violated that sacred oath and should be held to a higher standard, not have his crimes dismissed because you think the victim is trash.

Hey, regardless of what I think of the victim, she was still a criminal because she, uh.. was involved in a few accidents that lead to her eventual arrest.  Oh, and she was also high when they happened.  Is that a behavior of somebody who wasn't acting like a criminal?  Or is that just her way of "expressing herself"? 

The only thing that matters is wither or not she posed a immediate physical threat of harm to another human being. And she clearly was not. Shooting an armed spree killer in the middle of killing a group of people is a completely different thing.

How do you know that?  How do you seem to know what other people are thinking?  Hell, even then, how do you know she wasn't so fucked up on drugs that she would not flip out and hurt someone? 

And even before all of that, she fled the scene of two separate traffic accidents, she was involved in two separate instances where it involved endangering other people because she was high.

And as a matter of fact, yes killing Osama Bin Laden was wrong because justice is not served by the mere death of a bad man. He should have been captured, treated with human dignity, given a fair trial and THEN executed.

Don't tell Obama that, he sure felt good enough about killing him to take all the credit for it.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: February 27, 2012, 11:50:36 pm »

Ninjaboot.  Who the fuck here has said that the girl shouldn't be held responsible for her actions?

What we are saying:

Did she deserve to be arrested and put through legal processes to determine what punishments or rehabilitation procedures were appropriate in her case?  Sure.  Did she deserve to be killed extra-legally?  No.

Because the police never intended to kill her.  The actions the police took resulted in her death, yes.  But for you guys to argue or imply with 100% certainty that they wanted to kill her is just absurd. 

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:53 pm »

Ninjaboot you make it very clear, you think she is of the "criminal" class and therefore deserves to be murdered for nothing. You don't give a damn about the law because you excuse the execution of a helpless woman because of who she is and who her murderer is. You are a vile, despicable and evil man. My righteous indignation and contempt of your moral inferiority is earned boy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:54 pm »

Others may have implied that the cop wanted to kill her.  I didn't.  My position is that the cop made an incredibly reckless decision that resulted in her death.  The girl was being arrested for recklessly endangering others in violation of the law.  Why shouldn't the cop be arrested for doing the same?

Ninjaboot you make it very clear, you think she is of the "criminal" class and therefore deserves to be murdered for nothing. You don't give a damn about the law because you excuse the execution of a helpless woman because of who she is and who her murderer is. You are a vile, despicable and evil man. My righteous indignation and contempt of your moral inferiority is earned boy.

Chill.  Please.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 297