Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288968 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2670 on: January 14, 2012, 12:09:18 am »

What's mic-checking?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: January 14, 2012, 12:33:31 am »

What's mic-checking?

It's a tactic unique to the Occupy movement, also sometimes referred to with terms like "the human megaphone".  It was developed in response to the original Occupy camp in New York being denied the permit required for any technological means of voice amplification (so no microphone/speaker setups or megaphones).

Somebody yells "mic check" and the crowd repeats "mic check" in response to let the person know that the crowd is recognizing them as having speaking power.  From that point forward, that one person speaks in short phrases, which are repeated by anyone in the crowd who can hear him. 

This technique gives speakers the ability to address large crowds without any equipment, and it's also been adapted as a tactic for public conflict at non-OWS speaking events.  One other great advantage is it doesn't require any preparation.  It's a part of the culture now and can be used spontaneously whenever needed.  One great example was immediately after the infamous pepper spraying incident at UC Davis.  It looked like a fight was about to break out, with hundreds of Occupiers screaming shame on the handful of bewildered police, until one guy could be heard above the crowd a few times screaming "mic check".  Within seconds, the crowd was silent and motionless, except for repeating the words initiated by this one individual, who told the police (paraphrasing) that no one would prevent them from leaving if they did so peacefully.  If you want to see the "mic check" thing at its best, that's the video to look up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: January 14, 2012, 12:43:48 am »

It seems to me, then, that these "felony charges" are nothing more than a scare tactic. It has been used in the past: it's not practical to jail those people, but they can arrest them on bogus charges and impose fines on them in order to try to scare the public into compliance.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2673 on: January 14, 2012, 12:48:05 am »

Sometimes a hero has to go to jail or get shot to make a difference difference.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:48 am »

They're not going to go to jail. They've pulled this fearmongering tactics in the past: they grab people for bullshit reasons just to make trouble, or to get them off the street that particular day. And so on.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2675 on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:39 am »

You'd think that the first veteran with a fractured skull would've been enough...
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: January 14, 2012, 01:26:23 am »

You'd think that the first veteran with a fractured skull would've been enough...

Honestly, I don't think even the iconic self-immolation protest would stir people much in America.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2677 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »

Honestly, I don't think even the iconic self-immolation protest would stir people much in America.

"Earlier today, a middle-aged woman doused herself in gasoline and set herself alight in an inner-city park. She cited the recent world events and political upheaval, as well as police brutality and the unfairness of state policy as a justification for her actions. She died before emergency responders arrived on the scene. The mayor released a statement hours afterward, urging the public that their safety was not at risk, and for no other individual to accept such a reason to end their own life. Presidential candidate Upencauming decried the action as a result of liberal brainwashing. At his request, a bill was introduced that would allow designated members of the police force to access the home of an individual without a permit if they were suspected to be of unsound mind and may be at risk of suicide. Opponents of the bill state that..."
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: January 17, 2012, 06:36:56 pm »

Today is Occupy Congress.  Here's a photo album in progress to start us off.

Unfortunately, the event doesn't look too large.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: January 17, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »

Looks like quite a few people to me.

In about a month, I'll be joining a march from Seattle (the population center of Washington.) to Olympia (the Capital) with people from all around the state. The carpooling effort is pretty well centralized, numbers so far look to be between 10 and 20 thousand marchers.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: January 17, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »

the population center is actually enumclaw IIRC

unless you don't mean literally :P

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2681 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:45 pm »

Is that a March, or a Drive?...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:38 pm »

I'm marching. It's only 45 miles, or about 75km. I could cover that in six hours, if I were truly motivated to run the whole way. Marching it might take two days or so.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:46 am »

I'm marching. It's only 45 miles, or about 75km. I could cover that in six hours, if I were truly motivated to run the whole way. Marching it might take two days or so.

If it involves lots of people, double that expectation at least. Crowds are slow.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:55 am »

Regardless, I have the week off for Spring Break. I should be fine, I've got some friends going with me.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 297