Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289130 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:20:48 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2596 on: January 03, 2012, 03:05:23 pm »

Meh. I can't approve of the sexist imagery, but I will agree that a lot of these things are rather stupid.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 03, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=message_to_cops
1. The page maker is a bit of an ass, or at the very least projecting that image. Even if I agreed on some points (and there is some valid ones in there, just very frakking poorly presented), that seriously blunts the impact of the message.

2. Shit like that isn't helping.

3. Uh, what was your intended point by posting that?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19:14 pm »

:shrug: Police brutality was discussed a few pages back. Thought the guy made some points that were worth discussing. Hadn't seen the pic, TBH (which yeah, is neither in good taste nor particularily clever), as I skimmed through the page. Still, the guy makes a few good points. I'm changing the link to a text only version via google cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RIzJsNAKe64J:thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi%3Fu%3Dmessage_to_cops+%22the+best+page+in+the+universe%22+message+to+cops&hl=es&client=ubuntu&gl=es&strip=1
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:23:29 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: January 03, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=message_to_cops
1. The page maker is a bit of an ass, or at the very least projecting that image. Even if I agreed on some points (and there is some valid ones in there, just very frakking poorly presented), that seriously blunts the impact of the message.

2. Shit like that isn't helping.

3. Uh, what was your intended point by posting that?
1. Maddox is a douchebag, there is no question to that. 
2. If it helps or not... the results can't really be measured.  It is pretty frequented after all...
3. It is basically a blog.  Hence, he put down his opinion.

I personally don't have a problem with whatever he puts down, he does make good points in douchebag/tough guy speak and I don't expect anything more out of him in that matter.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: January 03, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »

Maddox's whole attitude is an act anyway. He certainly voices his real opinions, but the manner in which he does so is just to attract readers. Which it obviously does, seeing as he's a tiny bit famous now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:04 pm »

2. If it helps or not... the results can't really be measured.  It is pretty frequented after all...
No, seriously, stuff like that does exactly jack except polarize where polarization isn't going to help. It pisses off the people it's targeted it against and helps fuel poor impressions from everyone else. It does nothing good. The most that I can see coming from it is self-aggrandizement from people that already hold the same opinion.

If you want to bring attention to injustice, actual accounts of injustice is going to do more than an asshole ranting, especially in the manner and style that one did. He/she/it touched on such, but that kind of thing doesn't need more than the act itself to be seen in a poor light.

Most of the stuff I could say approaches genuinely useful is near the bottom, after most folks that kind of thing could help are already going to have turned off their willingness to listen.

I'll admit, though, that that kind of approach to presenting opinions and enacting social change is something that just gets under my skin. I've never seen it do anything except get people derailed into pointless character attacks on each other or similar sorts of bullshit. It's something we could really stand to frakking stop if we're going to do anything meaningful :-\
3. It is basically a blog.  Hence, he put down his opinion.
Chairman P, not the fellow at the other end of link. P had good intentions :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »

Yeah, it seems to be presented in a ridiculously condescending and insulting way for comedy/ satirical purposes.  That becomes pretty damn obvious if you watch his interview in which he dresses as a king and tells everyone how much better he is at drawing than children.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

If you want to bring attention to injustice, actual accounts of injustice is going to do more than an asshole ranting

Done
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2604 on: January 03, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »

If you want to bring attention to injustice, actual accounts of injustice is going to do more than an asshole ranting

Done

You know, in cases where people were horribly abused and killed by local authorities and the local judiciary refused to prosecute, the federal government can step in and charge them with denying him his civil liberties. This was mostly used to prosecute lynchings and race related killings.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »

Fucked up.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: January 03, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »

Depends though. Maybe those homes are so terrible nobody wants to live there.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: January 03, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »

Yeah, but they're probably better than a sheet of cardboard or paper magazines, and that's 5,2 houses per person to choose from :P

At the very least, as a worst case scenario (a vast majority of the buildings being unliveable), buying and restoring some of those houses would be an excellent social project for the government. Jobs created, homes created, society gains happy.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:28 pm »

But that costs money! And doesn't generate any profits! How can you expect anyone to ever pay for such a thing? [/snark]
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 297