Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288856 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2220 on: December 08, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

Well, which is it? Either
a.) The system was so financially troubled and in risk of collapse that we had to bail it out (I believe this)
b.) The system wasn't at great risk of financial collapse and we shouldn't worry about guaranteeing the bank's loans.

Yeah, I think this conversation is over...

Fine by me, and yes, it is.

To everyone else, I'm sorry it actually got to that point. I apologize for continuing that conversation, when it is now apparent to me that I should've dropped it long ago, because there was no positive outcome possible.

I think this may... may have some promise. It really depends on how they do it though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:52:47 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 08, 2011, 05:19:58 pm »

So in the Red corner we've got... the federal reserve, most respected institution in the world

I... I just... erm... excuse me...

*runs away with hand over mouth* ... *raucous laughter from next room*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 08, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:18 am »

So in the Red corner we've got... the federal reserve, most respected institution in the world

This right here is what pisses me off.  You have a right to be angry at the powers that be for their screwups.  That's fine.  But to think they they know nothing?  To reject the economic orthodoxy on depression economics without ever having studied it?  Without even reading any the numerous liberal experts on this subject?  The Paul Krugmans and Elizabeth Warrens and Ezra Kleins of the world are falling over themselves to illuminate these subjects but you are just assuming that these institutions that have studied this shit extensively have nothing to say.

I don't think of myself as an expert on this stuff.  But I can read what the experts say, it's not hard.  The fact that you would reject the experts out of hand infuriates me.  You are acting like the creationists and paultards when you do it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:16 am »

I don't doubt their abilities.  I doubt their intentions, which are the basis for a currently very widespread disrespect, in very obvious contradiction to your statement.  Respect is based on more than knowing what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:08:18 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:23 am »

Maybe if you did not make grand claims like this... 
Not contesting that they can't do their jobs right.... but, it does not mean they can't be influenced.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #2226 on: December 09, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »

Seems like this is an appropriate place to share this.

Quick version: I would be wary of advice from people who have been trained in Finance in the last 20 years

Quick story:
I went to college, originally going for CS. Got through lower-division, really didn't like the teachers, tired of making useless pizza-checking in programs. Switched to Business Finance. The longer I was working towards my degree, the dirtier I felt. Much about it, and what interested the smarter people in the classes was the weird "magical" ways to make money. Not by purchasing and holding stock of a company you researched and agree with their plan, but micro-transactions, option trading, and others. Graduated in 2005, kept working using my IT/programming skills.

My experience in college highlighted that a lot of students around me had no scruples making money any legal way possible, even if it wouldn't be ethical. I guess it draws people like that to it. Being told ways to make money by using the system to your advantage would attract people with those traits.

My point is, trusting experts in the field, even what choices the Federal Reserve does, might be based on people who really bought into that ideology.

Also, slightly off topic, anyone else have a lot of things cleared up for them when you learned that a young Alan Greenspan was a member of The Collective, a member of Ayn Rands closest "worshippers"?
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 09, 2011, 02:52:39 pm »

Yup, the above post is unfortunately true.

You can't pay the rent with ethics.

Business people, unlike attorneys, are to make money by hook or by crook. Though unfortunately our ethical obligations do not always stop some  attorneys from doing bad things (and thus taking business away from ethical ones), there are consequences, like disbarment or suspension from the practice of law.

It gets really bad in the debt collection business sometimes, and the difference is palpable. The debt collector, non attorney, is paid to get debts collected any way they can. The attorney over them has to make sure they don't violate the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act and other laws. The debt collector wants to make as much money as possible (or in some cases enough to keep their jobs!) and the attorney has to rein them in.

You don't have to imagine what happens when there isn't anyone to rein them in....

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #2228 on: December 09, 2011, 04:30:45 pm »

To clarify, my post was only talking about business people in the Finance industry, based on my personal experience.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 09, 2011, 05:18:09 pm »

To clarify, my post was only talking about business people in the Finance industry, based on my personal experience.

I believe the same basic rule of "They make the money any way they can, good or bad," applies still. No? :)

Please don't quote me.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #2230 on: December 09, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »

I believe the same basic rule of "They make the money any way they can, good or bad," applies still. No? :)

I don't think so. (Again, basing off my personal experience) I am in the software dev industry, and most of the small businesses I work with are just trying to do what they love, and have enough in the coffers to make it through tough times. I've seen that with other small businesses outside of my software realm as well.

Also this is a good read: http://scripting.com/stories/2011/12/09/nprShouldGetAPulitzerForTh.html

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 10, 2011, 04:31:08 am »

How can you say this is "one bad apple"? A whole precinct's worth of policemen was here, anyone could have called an ambulance. But no. They had to obey, and their orders were to use force.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 10, 2011, 04:53:14 am »

I can't recall the name of the experiment, but it explains this behavior quite well. The one where people were giving shocks to someone while a researcher stood by and told them they would be absolved of any responsibility.

If you absolve people from responsibility and an authority gives them a command, the vast majority of the time they will follow it. It'd take something really heinous or someone of exceptional character for them not to. You can say you wouldn't do so in the same situation, but that's statistically unlikely. Most likely these people are much like you.

These officers were given orders to use force. So they did. Any guilt is washed away under the excuse of "well I can just blame my supervisor." Which is true.

Why they turned away an ambulance I don't know, but murderous intent seems unlikely, especially since they (eventually) called the fire department to take him away instead of making him rot in a cell. My guess is they were told to arrest people, and he was definitely in their custody. Letting him go to a hospital is letting him "get away." Also, most people don't realize being knocked out is often really bad, not just mild incapacitation like on TV. Police officers should know better, of course, so there's definitely some stupidity here. Malice though, I do not have enough evidence to reasonably make that assumption, at least not for individual officers there.

The malice and stupidity that needs to be focused on is the malice and stupidity that brought all this about in the first place. There's a lot of stupidity here because the best way to get rid of non-violent protesters is to ignore them. There's a lot of malice here because someone up the chain of command thought force would somehow be a good (not to mention justifiable) idea.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 10, 2011, 05:58:12 am »

My guess is they were told to arrest people, and he was definitely in their custody. Letting him go to a hospital is letting him "get away
No, no it isn't.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 297