Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288837 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2025 on: November 30, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

Well, following the standard republican rhetoric, rich people deserve to be rich. Thus, rich people are virtuous. Thus, if you aren't rich, you're not virtuous, and a worse person than the rich people, so people shouldn't care about you.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 30, 2011, 06:04:23 pm »

Anonymous and some other group named Team Poison plan to steal large amounts of money from banks and donate it to protests and charities.  I have some major reservations about their stated methods here....

Precisely why Occupy needs to dissociate themselves from Anonymous. At best, there a bunch of harmless miscreants. At worst...

Honestly, if they actually go through with this, the movement is done for.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 30, 2011, 06:08:23 pm »

People aren't just going to pack up and go home if Anonymous steals some people's money.

Honestly, this thread is full of "If X happens, it's the end of Occupy" statements. You could give the movement a little more credit than that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:13 pm »

It gives the authorities an in point to dismantle the movement from the top down. The point at which Anonymous launches an attack and takes credit for it, just about any law enforcement personnel from local police to the FBI have the right to detain and question Occupy protestors. The pre-text is razor thin but that's all they would need.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: November 30, 2011, 06:20:36 pm »

You should not attribute to malice what is easier explained by apathy.
You shouldn't rule it out, either.

Yes I really should in this case.  People don't let children go homeless because they hate the children.  I am very confident in making that statement.

I still say that apathy is very selective.  Mobilizing hundreds of police out of concern for a few children (who are suddenly to be faced with those hundreds of police intending to serve and protect the shit out of them), when the funding that went into that probably could have fed all those homeless children for a week.  I'm not saying he hates children or wants them to be homeless.  I'm saying his excuse is incredibly shallow.

And I would agree with you.  But you need to realize that you aren't fighting against the forces of evil, but against a tiny force of greed and a giant fucking force or don't-give-a-shit.  When you cast the forces of don't-give-a-shit in the role of intentional villains, you discredit yourself.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 30, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »

When you cast the forces of don't-give-a-shit in the role of intentional villains, you discredit yourself.

When the forces of don't-give-a-shit pretend to give-a-shit just to have an excuse to mobilize against the forces of actually-give-a-shit it does in fact become an intentional villain role.  I'm not labeling pure evil, but pointing out that this isn't pure apathy at work either.

Spoiler: Oh god... (click to show/hide)

Don't know if it's intended to be connected with the Occupy movement (it was just added to that Occupy photo gallery I linked to a ways back), but it definitely wins most powerful and disturbing image so far...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:39:04 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 30, 2011, 06:50:06 pm »

Coming up with bullshit excuses is hardly villainy.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 30, 2011, 06:52:00 pm »

That depends on what the bullshit excuse is used for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 30, 2011, 06:52:15 pm »

I'd prefer to think they're wearing a black cape and twirling their mustache, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 30, 2011, 07:00:53 pm »

That depends on what the bullshit excuse is used for.

Well these excuses are in the service of apathy... which brings things full circle.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:04 pm »

That's called begging the question.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:06 pm »

No it isn't, it's just making observations.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 30, 2011, 09:23:27 pm »

I think whatever Anons that are supporting Op Robin Hood are really stupid and have never had their Identity stolen.
I think it might be a False Flag tactic, actually. This isn't really Anon's style. It requires too much detailed localized knowledge without any real follow-through. It don't fit.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2038 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »

They're also completely missing the point of Robin Hood too. He stole from the government, not just the rich :P

Then again, they are rather... similar at this point.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 30, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »

Technically speaking, in Robin Hood's time, the government and the wealthy were the same people, if not the same concept.  That's kinda what feudalism means.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure what this particular conglomeration of Anonymous thinks they're planning is patently impossible.  I mean, if it were possible, not just for these goons but possible at all, to steal millions of dollars straight out of banks from the comfort of Mom's basement, I'm pretty sure somebody would have do it by now for vastly less politically-motivated reasons.  All the time, even.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 297