Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289114 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1875 on: November 27, 2011, 04:39:46 am »

Now, I'm not sure about American law, but if you (the plaintiff?) don't show up for a court case, it is dismissed, is it not?
Why theres a group representing, like a lawyer representing you in court for your crimes.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: November 27, 2011, 04:45:29 am »

Now, I'm not sure about American law, but if you (the plaintiff?) don't show up for a court case, it is dismissed, is it not?
Why theres a group representing, like a lawyer representing you in court for your crimes.

And that group disappears in the night.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: November 27, 2011, 04:45:49 am »

Oh hey, I was just here to talk about this.

That's the link to a counterpetition on that.

Spoiler: In other news... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:50:26 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: November 27, 2011, 04:57:20 am »

And that group disappears in the night.

Fearmongering was definitely not my intention here.  I'm as cynical as anyone.  I do believe that our government "disappears" people.  It has done this for most of the past century, really.  However, I don't believe that it's common or taken lightly, especially at home.  At worst, this is something that could make the practice slightly more common and easier to get away with, but it's not like groups of people and then anyone else who gets curious about it are going to start disappearing.  Regardless of legality, that's not something they can get away with here... yet.  As bad as our culture here is, I don't think it's so bad that they can afford to pull that kind of switch into obvious totalitarianism, without troublesome numbers of people getting dangerously angry.  We're at a stage where they still need to do things gradually and always have a good excuse.  I'm not worried about this being anything more than one more small step.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: November 27, 2011, 04:59:53 am »

Wait. Your government already disappears people.... And you aren't trying to stop it?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: November 27, 2011, 05:01:44 am »

Wait. Your government already disappears people.... And you aren't trying to stop it?

Why do you assume that to be the case?  God I hate arguments like this.  Every damn time it's the same thing, the person trying to acknowledge an unconfirmable reality is believed to be sympathizing with it because they're the ones breaking the news to you.  Jesus, just try to think when holding a conversation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: November 27, 2011, 05:04:39 am »

I don't even know where to start.  Just google the term "extraordinary rendition".  I'll just leave it at that.

And I'm doing what I can.  It's why I'm here in this thread, spreading and discussing information.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: November 27, 2011, 05:08:08 am »

The very fact that they disappear people should be major news. Dammit, you're the Americans, the country whose very founders didn't even trust the government.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: November 27, 2011, 05:09:10 am »

The very fact that they disappear people should be major news. Dammit, you're the Americans, the country whose very founders didn't even trust the government.

You have no idea how many hundreds of times I've been told to take my tin foil hat somewhere else, by fellow Americans.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: November 27, 2011, 05:13:03 am »

You have no idea how many hundreds of times I've been told to take my tin foil hat somewhere else, by fellow Americans.
Don't you know that the foil is how the government amplifies and reads your brain waves to find you? Once they find you, you just up and vanish. Don't go anywhere near tin if you can help it, maaaaaan.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:57 am »

So all this time, everyone really has believed me, but couldn't admit it because the hat made me an unwitting mole!  How did I not see this sooner?!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 27, 2011, 05:16:56 am »

There have been several movies made about it, countless hours of news coverage, Congressmen shouting themselves hoarse, and God knows how many books.  It is major news.  That's part of why its so incredibly rare.  But guess what?  Americans, like most people in the world, don't really give a shit about rare occurrences as long as it doesn't happen to anyone they know.  And while I certainly don't know the exact numbers, the total of "extraordinary renditions" can't have been more than thousand people or so, most of them not American citizens.  So, y'know, it's an easy problem for most people to hear about and either say "bullshit" or "I always knew that", as their personal predilections may so inform them, and go on with their own lives.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:50 am »

So why the hell hasn't it been stopped?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: November 27, 2011, 05:24:47 am »

Here's a relevant paraphrase from what I told a friend (who turned his back on America and moved to S Korea years ago) when he asked me about the Occupy movement.

The 99% is evenly divided between those who worship the rich and powerful and all their abuses, those who are content enough to avoid being bothered with it and still believe that everything could be resolved by voting for the right guy (strongly enough to condemn a counter-culture), and those who believe that it's up to them to stick up directly for themselves or be cast out by society like an obsolete iPod.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: November 27, 2011, 06:03:16 am »

Because obviously a group that is discontent with it and still believes they can change it by voting/through the system would never exist.

and those who believe that it's up to them to stick up directly for themselves or be cast out by society like an obsolete iPod.

Give me a guess of which group you think you yourself belong to? I'd take a chance on the martyrs.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 297