Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289280 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1815 on: November 24, 2011, 10:14:49 pm »

Is it wrong to fantasize about doing horrible things to that cop? Get a couple of guys, 4 or 5, break into his house at night, preferrably without waking him. Then you need two guys to hold him down, one to hold his head in place, and one to hold the trigger on the pepper spray down until the can runs dry.

I think I have issues.

If, sooner or later, someone seeks revenge like this, then it'll be the end of the movement and either the last straw for it or something much, much worse.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 24, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »

Is it wrong to fantasize about doing horrible things to that cop? Get a couple of guys, 4 or 5, break into his house at night, preferrably without waking him. Then you need two guys to hold him down, one to hold his head in place, and one to hold the trigger on the pepper spray down until the can runs dry.

I think I have issues.

If, sooner or later, someone seeks revenge like this, then it'll be the end of the movement and either the last straw for it or something much, much worse.
Agreed, i told the Denver guys i will bail on their asses if they start a fucking war with the cops. I help them stay there but i am not gonna try beat a cop over his head. most of them are nice guys anyways and they even talk to the protesters, just when they roll, they fucking roll.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 24, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »

Here's generally what I told to the Colorado Springs Occupy movement when they asked my opinion...

Around the country right now people are being cracked down on. For the most part they are staying within the law and being cracked down on anyway. As this occurs, if they remain non-violent they will get more people who will stand behind them. If they get violent and militant they will be quickly dismissed as worthless. If they allow the violence to move them they will be quickly dismissed as worthless. They have to take their licks, and know it will get much worse before it gets better.

So yea, as much as I joke about pepper spraying back and using Lime and Baking Soda as psychological weapons, when it starts happening if the movement doesn't have broad popular support, it's over. And I don't mean they got thousands in New York and Boston and Washington and stuff. No, I mean when you are seeing 2-5% of the population of city these movements are in turning out for marches.

Colorado Springs:
Max Marching amount (unverified): 200.
Population: 400000+
Percentage: 0.05%
Amount needed for 2%: 8000

Denver:
Max Marching amount: Unknown
Population: 600000+
Percentage: Unknown
Amount needed for 2%: 12000

Colorado:
Population: 5000000+
Amount needed for 2%: 100000

United States:
Population: 312000000+
Amount needed for 2%: 6240000

They need to see at least a SIX MILLION man march before they can even think about fighting back.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 25, 2011, 12:03:59 am »

Yeah.... There's no point in that at all....

Aside from the obvious reasons that tangent is a bad idea to discuss, large numbers wouldn't tactically do it, because they'd just call in the national guard/army and no amount of numbers is going to beat them. The US clearly knows how to handle large number foes. It's the small guerrilla ones we seem to have a freaking problem with.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 25, 2011, 12:36:05 am »

The only power a person has beyond what they can do with their own hands is determined by what they can convince other people to do for them.  The 1% only have power because we take orders from them.

The only power we have is to stop working for them, which amounts to complete disarmament.  If the 'enforcer class' stops working for them, then things get really easy.  But since they're the least likely people to do so, significant numbers of people in any position resolving to work for each other instead of their bosses is both necessary and sufficient. 

The camps and marches are just one way of doing this.  Protest and occupation is both symbolic and a practical means of exploring one's own power of self-determination (something that is really very important and difficult because of the paradoxical ways our culture alienates it from us), while showing everyone else in the world that they would not be alone if they chose to do so as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 25, 2011, 01:21:26 am »

Collective goods are a bitch to deal with, yeah. Everybody would benefit if everybody cooperated, but if not everybody does, then the people who did try get screwed and nobody wants to take that risk. So nobody does, and nobody benefits.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 25, 2011, 01:33:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My avatar suddenly makes so much more sense now.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 25, 2011, 02:00:16 am »

Aside from the obvious reasons that tangent is a bad idea to discuss, large numbers wouldn't tactically do it, because they'd just call in the national guard/army and no amount of numbers is going to beat them.
It'd result in thousands of dead civilians, which would make odds of a coup pretty damn high.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 25, 2011, 10:21:30 am »

It would only result in anything positive if it has broad support, and only if you are seeing percentages HIGHER than the 1% they are rallying against physically present will that support be there.
I can talk about how I like/don't like the occupy movement until I'm blue in the face, but if they don't have much population, if they suddenly start advocating resistance they will lose what they have.

Before they can get violent, they have to get support.
Of course once they have the support, I'm not sure they will even need violence. Time will tell. We aren't Libya, but we have some pretty entrenched corruption anyway...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 25, 2011, 11:10:41 am »

Remember the recent UK riots?  The last thing I remember about them from media sources is all the politicians and media denouncing everyone as hoodlums, petty thieves and gangs.  Because it did not have enough support and was wholly ignored by the media till it happened.

OWS does not want to become the recent UK riots.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 25, 2011, 11:30:41 am »

Remember the recent UK riots?  The last thing I remember about them from media sources is all the politicians and media denouncing everyone as hoodlums, petty thieves and gangs.  Because it did not have enough support and was wholly ignored by the media till it happened.

OWS does not want to become the recent UK riots.

UK Riots were !!FUN!!.

Shame it was just an excuse to cause !!FUN!! and nothing of worth, though. But hey, this is what happens when the Upper Class ignore the Lower Class, so it did have a good ending, because now the Upper Class fear to Ignore the Lower Class.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 25, 2011, 11:39:26 am »

The problem with the UK riots is that, the way I see it, it was basically an unformed fit of rage against the way things work, namely capitalist exploitation, that degenerated into meaningless destruction.
Unformed fits of rage do not really help. One must canalize the people's anger into determined, meaningful actions.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:41:10 am by Dwarf »
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 25, 2011, 11:41:34 am »

The problem with the UK riots is that, the way I see it, it was basically an unformed fit of rage against the way things work, namely capitalist exploitation.
Unformed fits of rage do not really help. One must canalize the people's anger into determined, meaningful actions.

But this could happen again, and as a result, the Upper Class Government are making changes to the Lower Class now.

They're subsidising employer's pay-outs for wages for up to 400,000 "unemployed young people" (21-24, I think) in April.  (£1 Billion).

Very convenient timing.

It might be self-serving for their own safety in office, as usual, but at least us younger fellows have *some* sort of chance from it.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 25, 2011, 11:54:19 am »

That little bit of cash -relativly speaking- is paying employers to hire workers for a minimum of 8 weeks,
2 months a reliable job does not make. i know work places that will make a profit on hireing with that one :P

The main problem is that the Uk dosent have a goal production policy. our textiles have gone overseas along with our steel, coal and all our other production industrys. whats left? nothing realy. what needs to be addressed is how to kick start an industry in which we wont be out competed by cheeper labour. and we cant employ more public sector workers, because thats the system now, it was a quick fix and it leaks cash like buggery.

the banks need to be taxed, a longer term employment plan needs to be made and our democracy needs to be implamented a bit better.
-greater ability for partys to form ide say, ie cheeper costs, the ability for people to form youth group partys -that could later translate into propper ones-, so theirs more challange on a base line level against the bigger standard partys-.

for the US of A?
i pitty your state of affairs to be honest, the banks and corporations have your country by the balls alot worse than most places.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:38 am »

Dont forget that a large number of those involved in the UK riots were oportunistic in thier approach to casual criminality enabled by circumstances. The Occupy movement is more organized and has peaceful intent at heart, not the desire for a new TV simply as its more probable you can get away with it during unrest.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 297